Is it too late to play badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WB, Mar 12, 2001.

1. WB

WB Guest

Hi
    I would like to know how long it takes to train to be a good badminton player.
    Coz I am already 18 now i would like to noe the chances of excelling in this sports.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    depends what you want to achieve. if you want to be world champion, sorry. but if you just want to have fun and win some local tournaments, it is definitely not late.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It's never too late to start. And remember, there are actually quite a number of world players that have passed 30, even in singles.

Wasn't P-E Hoyer 30 when he won the 1996 Olympics?

Wasn't it Padukone who said that you only need 5 years to become a top player, provided you have good coaching and the physical and mental prerequisites?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    5 Yrs? Maybe that was in his time.

I knew of somebody who got to the 3rd round of the All-England who started at 18 yrs old but before that he was a volleyball player.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes, I too think you'd have a hard time if you start training "from scratch" at that age. You'd obviously need to come from some other sport. Gade was very close to becoming a footbal pro, by the way.

6. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Of course it would be a great advantage to begin as early as possible with a good coach. But if just want to learn and enjoy the game, being a 18-year old is young! We have one player in our weekly badminton group who can beat many younger players and believe it or not he is 63 years of age!

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    No, i haven't met padukone before. :p

8. AS

AS Guest

Re: To cheung

How old was he when he started.

9. knock-out

knock-out Guest

Just for confidence, Michael Jordan, arguably one of the greatest athletes ever, reached his prime in his thirties. I think 18 is a great age to start. I started at 22 and I'm 27 now, and I do ok in tourneys. I know I still have room for improvement, but i don't think my age is slowing me down. I say go for it!

10. eric

eric Guest

hi!
    just want to say that it's never too late,if you like badminton and put some effort into it,you can become quite good very fast.
    Take me for example,from the first time i touch a badminton racquet to my first
    medal,only 8 months.
    I finished 2nd in single and doubles at the JEUX DU QUEBEC.
    So don't worry about the age thing!

good day!

11. WB

WB Guest

I am really touched by the words you guys gave me. Thanks. Do u guys mind give me some info about urself, like country, age, how u guys got into badminton. Just curious, it's optional.
    Aniwae thanks.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It's all here already, in older threads. "So where's everybody from?" or something like that.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: To cheung

Started at 18 yrs old

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    This forum contains lot of hidden jewels on badminton stuffs. Like i have said before, he who want to know the truth must findth it.

15. May

May Guest

U want to know??? Okay then.
    I am from singapore, am a twelve-year-old female, and I think that I can say that I am the youngest in this forum. How I got into badminton??? U want the real one or the false one??? The real one is: I got dragged into being my best friends partner for a inter-class competitiom. As for the false one I will get back tou, haven't thought of one yet.

16. WB

WB Guest

as for me i just happen to like badminton suddenly
    this feeling is beyond wat words can describe. But i really want to play well.