No proper insoles for Yonex SHB-92??

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Xuser, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Hi, I was just checking on my SHB-92 shoes and found out there isn't any insoles at all. i.e. there were only two thin pads on each shoe. Is that what it is or have I been conned? I thought all shoes (street shoes or sport) should have proper insoles :mad:

So here is my other question: Do the SHB-95 have the same thin pad on each shoe or do they have proper insoles? If someone have a pair of SHB-95 insoles pics, can you pls post them here? TIA.

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

The stock insoles on many shoes wear out fast. It deflates within a few weeks. I highly suggest you go to Athletes World and look for their "Airr" insoles which are about 25.00.

Yodums

3. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Thanks Yodums. Those insoles are just cushions and not proper insoles, which will wear off fast. Proper insoles have arch support and also around the heel. What you have described are just cushions which can be inserted on top of insoles. That's not I meant.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Uh, I think you should go to Atheletes World and look for it. They have something that has a huge base which supports the heel and doesn't make your foot arch and all. It has skid support so it won't slide around.

Yodums

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Do you mean one pad in each shoe or two pads in each shoe? @@
    cuz I jus got mine lik last week and after wearing it for the first time monday night it felt lik there's nothing under foot close to the toe area, so after I land it usually hurts the feet.

It it just bad design or do the badminton players not land on their toes after their jumps? :confused:

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on your definition of "proper".

on most sports shoes i have seen, they usually just come with a thin piece of foam with cloth cover as the insole. this applies to badminton shoes as well.

if you mean by "proper" is those fancier ones you can buy from pharmacies with rubber/gel/etc, then no, i don't think you should be expecting those from badminton shoes.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I dont mean anything fancy, as long as it's thick enough it's great with me. Prior to this pair of SHB92, I was playing with my b-ball shoes. When I'm landing with my b-ball shoes I dont feel that huge shock(maybe a little bit more nowadays since it's been really warn out) that i feel when I land with my SHB92.

Because my knees aren't all that good anymore ever since I busted them, so I want to try to take as much stress off the knees as possible.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You probably have to find specially designed insoles that are made so your foot doesn't arch a way that it does to hurt your knees when it is already bad. My friend in a class has these type of soles however his was covered by his dad's work.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to differentiate between insole and sole.

basketball shoes have much thicker sole than badminton shoes. as a result, you felt that there is extra shock absorption. the insole contributes little shock absorption when compared to the main sole. so your comparison is not fair.

you cannot expect badminton shoes to have the same thickness sole as basketball shoes. if the sole is so thick, you will get a lot more twisted ankles.

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I dont think I need something that fancy ^^" my knees are bad but not bad enuff as you probably think (it jus starts to get sore after ~2hrs of lots of jumpsmashing and/or lunging, but normally the style i play I can usually last ~6hrs of constant play(some rest of course)
    Oops... haha... sorry about my english, 10 yrs in canada and i still cant differentiate betwn soles n insoles ^^"
    But I was thinking, is there that much difference between insole and sole of the shoe? because couldn't I just get insoles taht are somewhat the same density as the sole(softer near the top of course) to go on top of soles that are too thin(IMO) and make it about the same thickness as it would be with my b-ball shoes, without going overboard and making it too thick for me to twist my ankle? :confused:
    hmm... i hope I'm not blabbing on too much n ppl actually understand wut I'm saying ^^"

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

However, have you seen a doctor about it? It may seem fine but it may really not :( Sometimes I can stand for hours and my knees will feel fine however sometimes after 5mins it feels like they are about to snap. After new insoles it felt alot better.

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I havn't been to a doctor for the problem ever, it was about 6 yrs ago when I did something to my right knee, that busted it(cant really recall the event now), so now the kneecap's slightly lower than where it's suppose to be. I think it's actually almost recovered now cuz it doesn't make that snapping sound as often when i bend my knees(muscle gained over time I think help took away the stress that the tendons used to take) and the left knee was more of a recent injury(bumped my knee on the lock of the van), however it doesn't make snapping sounds at all.
    I can still do sports lik mad as long as it doesn't require a LOT of squatting(or actions that require me to crouch down really low and jump off from there) and I can DEFINATELY play badminton like mad! :D

However, today after a 2 hr session, my right knee was kinda sore(and I wasn't jumping much today) so I assume it was the lack of shock obsorption from the SHB92, that's y i'm looking for insole(thank you kwun for noting me on the difference between sole/insole :D) that gives me more shock absorption than the default one that comes with the SHB92~

13. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Re: Re: No proper insoles for Yonex SHB-92??

I meant insole that are on each shoe. I'm starting to wear my Othordics (prescribed by my doctor)now and they seem to help. Can't tell yet as I need to break them in. These Orthordics are also helping my knee problems it seems. So far, I haven't had pain on my knees while I play.

14. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Re: Re: Re: No proper insoles for Yonex SHB-92??

Can you give me more information about your orthotics? Like where you got them, price, brand, etc. And were they covered by some sort of medical plan etc. Thanks :)

15. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    It all started right after I started wearing the Yonex SHB-92 shoes. I'm not certain if this is a coincidence or not.

I went to see a couple of Podiatrists. One took only 10mins to tell me I needed a $400 pair of Orthodics. I didn't feel comfortable and went for a second opinion. The second Podiatrist was very good. She took 1hr to take down my history, injuries, measure my ankle and feet, and legs. Also took video of me walking. Finally explained to me that a pair of Orthodics will help. Costs $300 but my Manulife insurance from our company paid for it as long as it is prescribed by a medical doctor. Yes, I had to see a medical doctor and he approved of it.

I have a few friends that I know of were already using Orthordics and they all had great opinions of them. The only disadvantage I can think of is the inconvenience of removing them and placing them onto other footwear, unless you are well off to purchase an extra set :D

16. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Thanks for the info. So the doctor provided the orthotics? Or were they ordered from a store by the doctor? Just curious because there are stores that provide similar orthotic services, and I've heard different things about getting orthotics directly from a doctor vs a store.

17. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    The Podiatrist assessed my injury or problems and recommended the Orthodics. She then wrote out a report for my medical doctor, where my doctor then prescribed the Orthodics so that my insurance will pay for them. Otherwise, if there is no prescription, your insurance will most likely not pay for them.

It usually will be the Podiatrist that sells you the Orthodics. Mind you, these Orthordics are custom made for your feet. i.e. the Podiatrist will make a mold of your feet and then send the moldings to the manufacturer to make them.