Picking shuttlecock with racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by autolink, Jun 18, 2010.

1. autolink

autolink Regular Member

how many of you pick up shuttle with your racket and...

poll'

how to create poll system ???!

2. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    I don't, for one i'll end up chipping the paint off the racket - bad if i want to sell it on. Plus fingers came long before the racket, its ok if you can do it every time but there's nothing more daft than chasing a shuttle around the court.

3. autolink

autolink Regular Member

hmm thats what i think too,but last time i heard some of the player here saying picking shuttle with racket wont scratch the racket if u r good enough ?

4. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    You're scraping paint on the ground, you will inevitably get several tiny scratches at least which will build up.

5. Alpinerock

Alpinerock Regular Member

Although there are some less flexible players who play the game who find using the racquet as a shuttle 'picking up tool' very useful!

6. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Such a "meh" topic can be so amusing reading people's reason why they dont pick up shuttle with a racquet because it might scratch. In regard a racquet is a racquet whether the paint is there, don't judge it but its cover

7. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    True but how many rackets are being sold on here with big paint chips for much much less than their original price, but a lot are being sold for near their price because they are good cosmetically.

8. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    I have so many racquets yet i wouldn't sell them i would just give it to a relative or something, out with the old in with the new

9. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Probably not a bad idea to sell if you bought it at $80 and sell it at $350;)! Makes financial sense, there are rackets for hand-me-downs and there are those that are worth their weight in gold;)!

Picking shuttles will eventually scrape the paint eventually no matter how careful we are; the degree of the scrape is what matters:)!

10. hunterkillerz

hunterkillerz Regular Member

Student
    big paint chips on the frame do not typically come from picking up shuttles off the ground... they are the results of mishits or clashes

i use my racquet to pick up shuttles off the floor and it doesnt even touch the floor most of the time. Im usually more worried that doing this would fray the strings on the outside of the frame.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    virtually EVERYONE i know pick up shuttle with their rackets.

the degree of success however, is another matter... ;)

life is too short to worry about small matters like tiny microscopic scratches on racket frames. :cool:

12. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    i pick it up with very little movement like i dont sweep the floor gigantically

13. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    I guess its a skill you have or you don't, i know good players at my club can't do it for toffee but crap players can.

14. RSLvictorSOTX

Scrapes and chips does diminish a ''CLASSIC'' racket for it's resale value:)!

Perhaps crappy players play crap since they've hone their skills on picking shuttles superbly instead of honing their playing skills while good players love their rackets comparatively speaking:)?

However, generally speaking the majority of players do pick the shuttles w/ their kit;).

15. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Lolz prob crappy players always lose so they mastered the skill to return shuttlecocks to the winning player

16. RSLvictorSOTX

Right said Fred mate:)!

17. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

i pick it up with my racket. I've never had a major paint scuff from picking it up with my racket.
    In fact, no one should suffer from a big paint chip, unless they literally scoop the ground along with the shuttle...
    of course small paint chips are inevitable, however i dont buy my racket to sell, i buy it to 'USE', so i pick up the shuttle with my racket.
    some might say selling is inevitable as well because of whatever reasons. But small, superficial paint chip wont deduct THAT much price anyway.

18. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    I did it everytime i play.....too lazy to pick it up with my hand wkwkwkwkkwkwk

19. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    I alway use my racket to scoop and i have never ever have any paint chip from that. You don't need to use strength to pick it up so how did u manage to scratch it? I mean literally, the result of framing ur shot is bigger than just picking up shuttlecock. However, do be careful of what surface you are playing on. I play on parquet floor or rubber court. I do not pick up shuttle with racket on cement floor as it will really result in terrible paint chip. Just my observation

20. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

It's just human nature for me when playing...too lazy to either pick it up myself, or just scoop it over the net to give to the opponent:D
    Never encountered a paint chip when picking up the birdie though...