The importance of the conditioning training for badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ljutzkanov, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ljutzkanov

ljutzkanov Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach
    Do you have players who are injured? Do you know that around 85% of the reasons why badminton player getting injured is none or wrong conditioning training, which leads in unbalance of the strength in the working muscles compared to those who are not involved so much?

Because of many reasons, badminton is one of the sports who has much less articles, researches and materials about specific healthy conditioning training especially design for badminton. Some of the books available on the market, even the bestseller of Bo Ømosegaard, uses old information and methods in the training that comparing to the weight lifting those methods are forgotten in 1964...

Badminton is uni-litteral sport - means one hand and one foot takes the bigger pressure compared to the other. Any uni-litteral sport without proper conditioning training leads to injuries, because of consistently unbalancing the body...with badminton...

Of course there is a great difference if you play 2-3 times a week or you are professional player who plays 25-30 hours per week.

In our sport you can still go at the International tournaments and see player in so bad conditioning, that you can wonder, why do they compete when they can't keep their maximum level for more than 2 matches...

Do you know that the restoration ratio is proportional to your conditioning preparation, especially your GPP (General Physical Preparedness) and GS (General Strength)?

Do you know that your body is going to spend less energy if you are relatively strong (means enough strong for your own body and here I will add and the sport)? If you spend less energy for the same intensity of all you movements you are going to feel light and strong and even aggressive on court.

The feeling or the perception of how we feel on court is also based on hormones (not only releases of more testosterone) released in the body during heavy weight straight training.

If your GPP is not enough good and you are continuously perform conditioning elements on court, the risk of getting injured is very high. Again because your badminton movements are uni-litteral and brining the unbalance in the body.

Now, does this mean - we shouldn't play badminton? No, of course. It means that as much as you go higher and higher level you should consider more and more the importance of the conditioning training. As higher you go, you play more and more hours per week, comparing to the hours which you have for restoration.

There is priorities of development of the four areas, starting with mental preparing to have the right attitude and perception so to be able to give whatever is necessary while developing your conditioning, so you can actually perform better technical elements and combine them into tactical situation. Of course the priorities can be changed, but this is a general recommendation.

The conditioning involves many more things that we normally imagine. Here are some of them: GPP, SSP (sport specific preparedness), core stability, stabilization muscles development (I put it separately, because of its importance), coordination (eye-hand is vital, but not only...), zone developing (aerobic, anaerobic, VO2max, lactate trainings...), plyomethric, explosive training...and many more more specific trainings according or combination between the mention above.

Do you know that the whole periodization which we as coaches have to make and it is so important when the players are getting at the good international level and up to the highest world top level is....mainly connected with the ability to restore? And guess what? This ability to restore, as I mention above is proportional to our conditioning training, especially same part of it.

Not many coaches actually do periodization schedules as thinking - "Is my player actually ready for this training?" and even less understands the periodization for groups and teams and how to implement the individual periodization into the team and really make the super efficient practice for each player in the group. I really mean for each player!

Of course, this practically can be applied after specific level of the players and of course dedication and much more training hours a week, than normal players can effort to do.

Why I say all of this?
    To make you thinking and understanding that all what we attract - our super physical shape or our injury is only because of us...The low of attraction is always working :), doesn't mater do we understand it or not. As far as we understand what we want to attract, we have to get get action and develop it.

So if we want to have a good healthy strong players able to perform any task on court - we have to understand and apply the right, very well periodized conditioning training for them.

I hope this subject will help you to attract the things that you want! :)

www.badmintonplanet.org
    www.ljutzkanov.com

2. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    I should take credit for reading this...
    Your article has many contention so you should separate them so people will actually read them.

Most sport has very low injury chance especially badminton which is a non-contact too. If you are at autonomous level when it comes to playing badminton then your chances of injury will be very slim unless the court is slippery that which has nothing to do with the game itself.

Note: Autonomous in PE means when you perform an action without your thought eg: Walking, talking on phone, On MSN listening to music and answering the phone watching tv.. etc.

Badminton training is very broad but can be narrowed down to just a few area to train. (I assume that the person has all basic and foundation meaning posture are correct to avoid injury.)

When it comes to training in badminton consistency is a crucial key to your training and most of the training is pretty much on-court. You stated "zone developing... mention above" improving your stamina is pretty much every sport needs it. It is just the ratio of which energy system you train, ATP-Cp (Adenoise Tri-Phosphate Creatine Phosphate) is not the dominate energy system in badminton so you would focus on latic acid system (anerobic system), but your aerobic energy system helps your recovery so it is crucial.

3. ljutzkanov

Hi NORice4U, thank you for the comment!
    The purpose of this article is as I said at the bottom to make the people thinking...I don't want to go in scientific data, because this will not be any longer a article posted in forum...

It is about to consider the importance for proper conditioning development, especially when they get more training hours a week.
    At the end you say that the training is pretty much on-court, which I can't agree without specifying that you can't develop specific quality without involving some "external" methods like resistance training (just for example).
    Up to now the science talks about adaptation of your body (bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles) while training in the MAX effort zone, which doesn't appear if you train in the dynamic effort zone (zone is known also as method). We talk about as well for adaptation of your nervous system as well...(this is one of my favorite topics especially in contest for badminton and on court training)
    ...............................................................................................................
    1. Maximal effort method: lifting a maximal load against a maximal resistance.
    2. Repetition method: lifting a nonmaximal load to failure; during the final repetitions, the muscles develop the maximum force possible in a fatigued state.
    3. Dynamic effort: lifting a nonmaximal load with maximal speed.

(See: Science and Practice of Strength Training, V. Zatsiorsky.)
    ...............................................................................................................

I mention here only max and dynmaic effort, as far as want to avoid hyperthrophy for badminton development.
    So practically if I stay on court ONLY and never go HEAVY in the gym and afterwards develop the DYNAMIC application of my heavy weight practice ON COURT, I will not be able to increase my explosivity to reach my max capacity at the moment (it can be applied to speed as well). There is a special method how to apply heavy weight directly in badminton practice and achieve great results on court. Of course you have to understand what you do and how this effect your body and the qualities you want to work with (speed, speed enurance, strenght, max strength, relative strength, etc...).

About the energy systems I will make my effort to publish one of the newest studies of the Australian University of Sport Science, where they practically redefine the energy systems into power systems based on the "fuel" that they use. Here they are...: aerobic lipolytic (60 to 70% of VO2max), aerobic slow glycolityc, lipolytic (70 to 92%), aerobic slow glycolityc (92% to 97%) and phosphagen fast glycolityc (97% to 100%).

I agree that it is about which energy system you train, but as we all know everything goes down to ATP-Cp, so energy system "recovers" energy system...I like the study and definition of predominant power systems, because they actually give us much more idea what should we train and how should we train it. I love one of the study which talks about maximum aerobic speed point and is it enough fast to be used in the highest possible level at the moment. The conclusion is - yes it is enough, which practically mean that you can stay in your maximum aerobic speed point much longer than you can stay at your maximum speed point (which is fully in anaerobic system and near to your VO2max point).

Again I am sorry about too scientific facts or terms used without specifying too much about them, but you can use INTERNET or ask :).

4. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Very nice report you have up there. You see this is what makes badminton such a unique sport whether your 10 or 50 you can still play a standard match.

The science is good but training your body isn't so much all about training the size of your arm. Badminton relies heavily on deception, speed, reflex, agility. Even if you have the stamina of a marathon runner, powerful smash you still won't be able to win.

Because you can't always be smashing your way to victory you have to find another path and method to victory. And some of those quality require Conditioning, which is the nature of all animal, To observer one another and learn from them.

5. ljutzkanov

Hehe I totally agree with you! :)

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think the uni lateral aspect is interesting, so we should train our non racket side too, as in the game we always unbalance our body. so symmetrical trainings are important