WR pts from TC10: LD 8753 pts fr 5 wins, LCW 8846 pts from 3 wins 1 defeat!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Jonc108, Jun 18, 2010.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Read the "Ranking Pts" manuals on the BWF website.

Make sense because it's primarly based on previous ranking/# of tourneys.

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I guess you are referring to the overall WR points...

but I just refer to the points earned from Thomas Cup finals 2010...

LD won 5 matches out of 5 outings, but just earned 8753 points, whereas

LCW won 3 matches out of 4 outings, lost 1, but earned 8856 points, i.e. more points than LD!

this does not make sense from any sports' scoring principles...

#3 Jonc108, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

take for example, for a particular SS, you earn more points from entering semi-finals than stopped at QFs, simply because you won more matches...

but why in TC10, you won more matches but earned fewer points!! any common sense?

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As I mentioned earlier, it's based on the average of the ten or less tourneys that each player competed previously+ranking pts of the highest-ranking opponents defeated.

LCW ranking's prior to Thomas Cup Finals 2010 - 81,791.06
    Average ranking as base pts gained for the TC = 8,179.1.1
    Then, you have to add ranking pts of Peter Gade (highest ranked opponent that LCW beat during the TC Finals) and divide that by 100:
    Peter Gade = 66,775.18/100 = 667.75
    Total = 8,846.86

For Lin Dan, average of previous tourneys = 71,424.58/9 tourneys he competed over the past 12 mths = 7,936.06
    He beat LCW during the TC Finals 2010, with ranking pts = 81,791; divide that by 100 = 817.91
    Total = 8,753.97

Both my calculations and the ones shown in BWF ranking page are similar. So, no error from the BWF calculations. You just need to understand the rules for computing ranking pts in Team Events like Thomas/Uber and Sudirman Cups.

5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

thanks a lot for detail advice, which i did read...

however, you still not get my point: this rule is against any sports' basic competition principle that it should encourage an athletic in the competition play to win.

therefore, if LCW lost all other 3 matches in TC10 but just beat PG, he still earns more points than LD with the maximum 5 wins! do you see the problem??:)

this rule basically says no matter how good you perform in this competition, the maximum part of the points you would be awarded was pre-determined... the maximum bonus you could get is beating a max. ranking player.

guess this might be a means to attract higher ranking player, but not making any sports sense.:eek:

#6 Jonc108, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Like it or not, precisely because it's a team event (which is different from an individual event), the ground rules must be different too; and that has been the case for badminton so far.

7. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

yah it could be a different rule for team events, but should be a fair and square rule...

what about LCW lost all matches but still get more points that any other players who won all matches in TC? it doesn't serve to promote the sports positively!

maybe the team event should not carry any WR points...

poor badminton, always has to live with weired things and a stupid BWF...

anyway, thanks for the sharing.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i also noticed that discrepancy...but i understand the challenge to formulate a ranking pt for a team event; it's a team event and whether a player's team advances/wins/loses, it depends on how other players on his/her team perform..imagine if LD didn't meet LCW (and the MAS team at all), his total pts would be even less..

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

... since you mentioned about performance vs win/loss, just like to supplement a bit

whether LD meet LCW or not, the difference in total pts are much less than 10%.

the point is, more than 85% (about 7000+ pts) of the points are pre-determined (this is guarentteed) even you lost all matches), and not according to the performance in this particular event. this is what I call anti-sports-spirit rules...

imagine, apart from fighting for national honour, how could this extra 10+% (only a few hundred pts) be an incentive for a player to fight for?