Serving With a Head-Heavy Racquet help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Harrison6ft2, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Harrison6ft2

Harrison6ft2 Regular Member

I finally restrung my head heavy Armortec 900 Power racquet two weeks ago ever since I popped the strings back in March and playing with it ever since. I find it a bit difficult to long serve really well with the 900 compared to a head light racquet I had been using during badminton season in high school. Most of my serves are either flat and out or they would land waay out on the side lines. Any advice on how I can make it better??

2. weiping

weiping Regular Member

i think its just a timing problem, cause head light racquet swing faster than the heavier one

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    With a head-heavy racquet you should swing slowly when your at the end of your stroke to control the height and distance of the shuttlecock.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Agree with the above: shorten your swing or back off the follow-through, as the head is ploughing through the shot and giving you the extra depth.

Might also be worth stringing it a pound or two tighter next time to get some control back...

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

A few tips about long/high serves (assuming you are talking about forehand service in singles).

1. Stablise your swing. Make sure you can swing the racket smoothly and consistently. Instead of looking for a quick acceleration, the stroke should smoothly accelerate until impact;
    2. Remember that the stroke starts with the body facing perpendicular to the direction of serve and ending with the body facing the direction of serve;
    3. Leaning back a little helps to gain power height+distance for the high serve. Again, aim for consistency;
    4. Follow through so your stroke ends with the racket up;
    5. Adjust for timing using the release of the shuttle instead of speeding up/slowing down the stroke;
    6. Adjust for height/distance using the point of contact of the shuttle (forward -> higher, closer -> further). Once you stablise the prior, minor adjustments can be made by varying your serving position;
    7. Adjust for direction by varying your foot placement and initial body facing;
    8. Place the high serve closer to the centre line. This reduces the opponent's angle of attack.

There is no point hiding the direction/intention of your long serve. The flight path for high serves eliminates any surprise you can inject. The only variation is a short serve instead of long if the opponent stands too far back.