What happened to Marleve Mainanky?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by rejang, Jan 28, 2003.

1. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Does anyone know what is his status? Have not seen him in any action internationally for quite a few months - is he injured or quiet retirement?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Apparently Marleve, former Indonesia No. 1, has just retired as he is already 30 years old. He was invited to Singapore recently as a sparring partner to Singapore's top shuttler, Ronald Susilo, who recently became the first Singaporean to win a badminton Grand Prix crown, the Thai Open, by beating Thailand's Champion, Boonsak Polsana. Marleve, with his wealth of experience, will certainly provide excellent training for Ronald, who is gearing up for the forthcoming All-England Championships in Birmingham and also the Southeast Asian Games in Vietnam in December.

Marleve will be here for two weeks, which is just about over. Marleve was Indonesia's top singles player in the team event when it won the Thomas Cup last year. He has been regularly featured among the world's top-five players. His recent career highlights include winning the 2002 Swiss Open and the 2001 Indonesian Open. He also reached the quarter-finals of the Indonesian Open, Singapore Open, Taipei Open and the All-England last year.

As I have posted before, Ronald Susilo has beaten many top players in Southeast Asia including reigning world champion Hendrawan of Indonesian, former world No. 1 and current China Open Champion, Wong Choon Hann and Commonwealth Games gold medalist Muhammad Hafiz Hashim (recently at the Thai Open) of Malaysia. The only SE Asian player he has not beaten is Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat. Of course, Ronald has also lost to Chen Hong of China four times before, the most recent at the finals of the Singapore Open last year. However, he is shaping up well as a better player and the SBA has left no stones unturned to help him improve further, not only by getting him Indonesian coach Mulyo Handoyo, who has a hand in moulding Taufik Hidayat but now, Marleve as well.

Watch out for Ronald Susilo in the world badminton scene in the months to come! He could make a surprise impact and this is a determined contribution from tiny Singapore.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it looks like Indonesia is losing singles players. Marleve retired, Taufik is still around, how about Hendrawan? it is about age, no? or is he going to try defend his title in May?

4. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Indeed, the only credible singles players left are Taufik, Hendrawan (twilight of his career) and somewhat second tierers like Budi Santoso, Rony Augustino. They seems to and have to rely on their younger up-and-coming players. That's probably why they are sending Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Ardiansyah & Wimpie Mahandi to the AE. Indonesia really have no choice; it is actually surprising considering their depth. More surprisingly considering that M'sia seems to be having more depth in the singles currently compared to them.

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yes, a new national champion has emerged in the likes of Lee Chong Wei for Malaysia. My god, this guy is really good. I hope he will come through the ranks and be among the best soon, he is only 20.

Don't forget, Yeoh Kay Bin and Kuan Beng Hong as well, both also 20.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Agree that Lee Chong Wei must be good. No chance to see him in action yet but to be able to beat Wong Choon Hann, who recently captured the China Open crown tells you that Chong Wei must be some talent. Hitherto, he was virtually unknown to the outside world and I believe Malaysia's system of allowing the individual states to scout and groom their own talents before their final selection for National squad training must have been a successful one as we now read of many new names competing in the various national and international tournaments. I think Chong Wei is not even in the National Team, maybe he will be inducted soon in view of his recent victory as the National Champ.

For the sake of future success, especially in the Thomas Cup, I hope there will be less politics within BAM and the new local coaches, Misbun Sidek and Yap Kim Hock, are given a free hand to concentrate on training the national squad. They can do with less distraction and waste of time as the Ong Ewe Hock's saga has proven and Ong's fate will only be decided on Feb 8. Both the coaches and the trainees will be tested in the forthcoming All-England Championships. The results will give an indication of how well they have prepared themselves. But there are many more Grand Prix events to come thereafter and the Malaysian players, especially the men's singles, will have more time to prove themselves.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Loh,

Wishful thinking about the politics within BAM. Judging by the past few colourful years, I doubt anything is going to change much within the organisation.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cheung

I think it is very difficult for me to dispute you.

However, I still can remember the time when the PM's wife was somehow involved and she was such a keen supporter that I think Malaysia was very successful both competing at home and abroad then. Maybe the BAM needs a very politically strong man at the helm, perhaps a Cabinet Minister? With her long and illustrious badminton history, it is actually a surprise that Malaysia has still not regained its pole position in badminton world for some time now.

By the way, a Happy, Healthy and Properous Lunar Year of the Goat to you and all our Chinese BF participants!

#8 Loh, Feb 1, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    At least BAM are being consistent in their variable politics!