Summer badminton markham 2010!!!

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by shallow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. shallow

shallow Regular Member

Just wondering who would be interested in badminton on friday late nights. starting around 9:30ish - 12 midnight around? Was planning on renting a gym with 3 courts at Centennial community centre in Markham. McCowan and hwy 7. Cost of gym just under $87 for 2 hours. this fee includes all taxes and for the insurance of this rental. Birdies not included. i'm just gathering for the sake of it just to get together and play a bit on friday nights. i've got 7 players on my end already and would like a maximum of 24 to get good play time for all. we'd be set on timers of 15 min games to be fair. all levels are welcome. please respond so we can play some friday night badminton. i don't mind suggestions, so lay it on me. if there's a better facility or cheaper option i wouldn't mind. even an earlier rental would be good. it's just that the community centre has events up till that time. Thanks in advance.

2. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

hey, anyone coming up from scarborough?
    specifically near scarborough town centre?
    if you are, let's arrange a car pool =)

3. shallow

shallow Regular Member

Quick update on the rental of the court. The Fridays are taken up till 10:30 apparently so it would only be from 10:30 till 12 on Friday nights. Sat on the otherhand is free from 10-12 midnight leaving 2 hours of play which I find more reasonable. The rates seemed to have gone up since the last rental. It's now confirmed at $92.26 including taxes and insurance for a 2 hour duration. This rate increase still leaves us all under $4 for the 2 hours of play. Fri, sat whatever works out better let me know. Thanks.

4. shallow

shallow Regular Member

Since "stepinto" in the above post seems to have listed plenty of options, plus there doesn't seem to be enough response to this thread, I'm just gonna call it off. I'd rather not organize anyhow if there are places offered. Thanks

5. Chinanewf

Chinanewf Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Hey, just wondering if you guys found a place to play, i'm from markham as well and would like to know where there are mid-high level players to play with around this area.
    I'm gonna head down to L'amoreaux community center tomrrow from 7-10pm to check out the level of players.
    If there are advance players who play else where, please let me know!

6. Danex

Danex New Member

Teacher
    How was L'amoreaux? I'm thinking of going but not sure if the club open for the summer or only during the school year. Does anyone know?

7. Chinanewf

Chinanewf Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    It was alright, not much of a show up thought, maybe cause it was the first time, but it runs during the summer. armadale is good and centennial is alright wrt number, you get a couple decent players once in a while

8. Danex

Danex New Member

Teacher
    Went to L'amoreaux last night (Tuesday) 7-10pm summer session. Intermediate to high level players. They had nine courts so there weren't any rotations where I had to sit on the bench. Pretty much played the three hours straight except for the occasional break. It's not air conditioned but other than that, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a place to play this summer.
    I find Armadale C.C. very busy at times. you have to be there 45-60min. in advance to make sure you get in. Also the way the rotation works, you are stuck playing with the same players all night which can be good or bad thing.

9. Chinanewf

Chinanewf Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Were there enough people there to fill 9 courts? I might have to check it out again, when I went last week they only set up 3 courts.

10. kalvin28

kalvin28 Regular Member

there are 2 gyms, one has space for 3 courts, the other has space for 6. there were 6 courts last night, half of the bigger gym was set up for volleyball. previous week there were 3 courts and the bigger gym was all volleyball. this week there were a lot more badminton players and less volleyball players than last week hence the difference. don't come expecting to see full 9 courts for badminton. there isn't any formal timed rotation that i noticed, just play with whoever needs more players unless you came with a group already. players are intermediate at best. if you're pro, there's no sense in coming and owning up the place. it won't be enjoyable for you or for the others. i'll probably play some volleyball in between badminton next week LOL.