Does a good racket improves gameplay?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by wyemarn, Jun 24, 2010.

1. wyemarn

wyemarn Regular Member

Student
    I'm a 24 year old male playing once or twice a week, 2 hrs session. I would rate my level as beginner to amateur and mainly playing doubles. I'm 178cm in height and weights about 85kg. I'm overweight so my gameplay and mobility is affected by my weight:(

I'm trying to improve my gameplay but reducing weight and more pratice but wonders whether middle end or high end racket will improve my gameplay. I think my main weakness are slow response and slow movement.

Currently I've have these rackets in my possesion. Btw, I'm in Japan.

1) Yonex Basic B-5500G,3UG5
    I'm not sure this is available overseas but this is the highest end of the basic series sold in Japan. The racket is made in Japan with isometric head and tension from 15~20lbs. I have been using this for a few months. This string is strung from factory.

2) Yonex Aerotus 50,3UG5 18lbs
    I bought this last month second hand because the condition was quite good and considered a middle-end racket. I got it for around 4000yen(45USD?) so I thought it was quite a good deal. After trying a few sessions with this racket, I found my smashes are weak and control were bad. Not sure what is the problem but I think maybe because I'm used with the Basic B-5500G.

3) Yonex Armortec 500,3UG4 24lbs
    I just got this today but I haven't try playing yet. My initial impression, it's a powerful racket with strong tension. The length is 10mm longer so I think this will suit me. Handling wise, I don't find any difference compared to Aerotus and Basic but since I haven't tried playing with it I can't say anything. I got it for 7000yen(~80USD) but it's used for around 5 times by the previous owner so its quite new. I think this will be my new racket and main one.

I have found some good deals for brand new racket and I'm thinking of these two as spare or main racket:
    1) Arcsaber7 2UG5
    2) Armortec500 3UG5

Which of the rackets above is the better buy if price are almost the same?

I'm thinking of getting rid of Aerotus 50. Sorry for the long post.:)

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Welcome to BCBF.
    2) You are right, you need more practice and get your weight down. That is more important.
    3) Yes, AR50 is an older style racquet which is better for older and more experienced player.
    4) AT500 is prob a better racquet for you because #1 you got one already and you like it so far #2 if you want a back up, it should be the same model and same string tension.
    Best wish.

3. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, on the weight thing obviously bring it down a bit as it is but i am 182cm and around 80kg and i am intermediate/advanced. It depends how your weight is dispersed as well as i am quite evenly proportioned but not toned. Weight can have an effect on your game but you need the muscle strength to be able to move your weight. Also reaction time is important, if you don't have good reactions then it makes it harder for certain parts of your game.

I think sticking with the racket you have is the best idea. I started playing again after a break for 2 1/2 months and started off with my crappy old Carlton Powerblade Ti. I've bought a couple of new rackets that suit my game more and have improved a great deal in the way of reaction time and movement. Working on getting a better technique though its coming along well.

My thought was once i started to feel myself going backwards in my play i upgraded my racket.

4. biomik

biomik Regular Member

My advise which is based on mostly personal experience and some observation:

-use somewhat heavy and head heavy racket ( maybe 87-89g)
    -medium stiff
    -strung with something like BG80 at 22-24lbs
    -make sure grip thickness is right for you

As your technique and game improve, start using lighter, more even balanced (or even head light) rackets. Try stiffer rackets too. Play a little with string tension and type. My rationale for these points is that beginners typically have low racket speed and difficulties with power. However, as you game gets better you start appreciating speed and control more.

5. Topspin

Topspin Regular Member

Strictly speaking, a good racket will improve your gameplay. However, the effect is very minimal in comparison to having proper techniques. If I were you I would prioritize my attention on improving my technique first :D

6. wyemarn

wyemarn Regular Member

Student
    Thank your for the great feedback. I believe I have got the suitable racket (AT500) for my current level. It is strung with BG65Ti at 24lbs at the moment. I don't think I will change till the string is broken. Should I continue to stick with BG65Ti or switch to other types of string? It's quite expensive to string here in Japan so I would prefer reliable, long lasting strings. Finally, how would I know which is the right grip thickness for me? Currently I have another layer wrapped on the Yonex grip so it's two layers at the moment. I believe my hand is fairly large.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

BG80 string is always a good all around string to start with... but if you're in Japan you should get BG66Maxima which is supposed to be Yonex's best string, but unfortunately not yet available worldwide.

Grip thickness: one way of assessing the right size is while gripping the handle as hard as you can, your third finger tip should just touch the thenar muscle at the base of the thumb.

8. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Speaking of good racquet improves games i know this Chinese guy who complains that his string on the racquet sways whenever he does a powerful hit or imply impact such as like a clear, smash etc, he is using a Arc-Z at like 26lbs and now he wants it restrung so its like 27-28 lbs

9. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

i wouldnt say a good racket improves your gameplay that much...i would say it improves the speed of which you improve at.:p
    Strictly speaking, for me, it might to an extent, but not enough to make significant differences.....we have the same rackets as world champions do but it all comes down to your own skill.:D~

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Put it this way, if you had two equally skilled players, the one with the better racket will beat the other most of the time.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Change from an un-suitable racket to a suitable racket, you can definitely see the improvement. Change from a suitable racket to a more expensive racket, you can hardly improve your play.

12. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Wise man has spoken. I could not even come up with this one.

13. wyemarn

wyemarn Regular Member

Student
    How would I know which racket suits me the best? There are so many models out there and I don't really have the luxury to buy few and test it out.

14. roy b

roy b Regular Member

You do not need another racket....... for now. The AT500 is an excellent racket - slightly head heavy, but easy to manoevre and surprisingly powerful. It's really an easy, all-round racket that can 'pack a wallop' when needed ! It will see you through your progression in the near future. In 6 - 12 months time, you may feel that you are ready to move on to a control or power based racket. That's the time to change. For the time being, enjoy playing with the AT500.

Oh, and for string - BG80. Size of grip is so personal - you should experiment to see which feels best for you. I personally prefer a grip as small as is 'comfortably' possible. I have quite bigs hands and now prefer G4/G5. I feel I can manoevre the handle in my hand better and really 'feel' my shots. I believe guru Dinkalot has drifted that way too.

#14 roy b, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  15. cl427x

cl427x Regular Member

College Student
    To answer your question, yes, a good racket improves performance, but only because you can utilize it to the best extent. A good racket should be a racket that you feel does the job easily for you.

16. wyemarn

wyemarn Regular Member

Student
    After trying out my new AT500 for a one hour of light playing, I can feel the difference. My shots are more solid and I feel it's very easy to swing this racket. Even it's considered a head heavy racket, I can handle this racket effortlessly compared to B-5500G and Aerotus 50. Is it because of higher tension(24lbs vs less than 20lbs for AR50, B-5500G) or Armortec is totally different class of racket? This is my first middle, high-end racket and I have my sights on Arc, NS or AT for my next one even though they are expensive.

17. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

no, a good racket does not improve gameplay.
    a racket suitable for you improves your gameplay.
    but as many people above mentioned, the effect is minimal.
    You will benefit more from working on proper technique.

18. roy b

roy b Regular Member

The latter :) The AT500 is a high quality performer and is a little under-rated - most praise is loaded on it's sister the AT700 which is a power beast and not for the faint-hearted ! The AT500 is much easier to use and will give you loads of fun.

Oh, and yes, one of my rackets is an AT500 :)))

19. na_twins

na_twins Regular Member

From what I make of it, you have the gift of a strong arm so why not use it. The best thing is you already have a well suited racket also (AT500). Improve your gameplay by becoming more of an attaking player. It doesn't matter if you're overweight as long as you can move around the court quickly (I've seen many players like this). So work on your footwork and try to play an attaking game. Scare the opponent with ur smash, I'm sure you'll get it going.

20. strafen

strafen New Member

Student
    couldnt you just get used to your new racket? :p