Tomorrow's the tournament... Nerves...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AirStyles, Jun 24, 2010.

1. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Ever since I've heard about the local tournament. I started preparing. Everyday I do footwork drills, practice my shots, a lot of training. (Something I haven't done for over half a year)

Leading up to the tournament. Everyday, I felt faster, people sparred with me seem slower and slower... I even developed a new shot and adapt a more offensive playing style. (Fairly Confident, as I have always been the rallying type, but footwork training have help me in a way that I can work more on offenses.) Getting more confident with each day...

Until, Today... The draw is up.

If I play a slight better standard then my usual, I'll be a contender for semi-finals, both singles and doubles. (Final = no, no. Finals players are waaayyy out of my league)

For Singles, I'm up against some kid from other region, he's pretty good, but not too hard to beat. I'm okay with losing to this guy, he's a good player.

The problem is doubles... they are Juniors... one 17 years old, and a 14 years old boy who recently got in the Semi-finals of the Nation's under 17 champ...

A part of me knew, no matter how good they are now, they're still Jr, I've beaten, and still able to beat the people they couldn't today... but why am I the one shaking right now?

any experience one can gimme a tip or two about how to overcome this? Nervousness have wreck a lot of easy games for me. and I really don't want to lose to kids...

2. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

don't think of losing, just give your best shot.
    have confidence, you have worked hard for this :)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Good luck to you in this coming tournament

IMHO, nervousness occurs when one feels whenever one can succeed, not when one feels that one could fail. :):):)

So, good luck to you in this coming tournament. ;););)

4. flashback3003

flashback3003 Regular Member

well just to say, i used to get nervous when it came to tournaments, couldnt do half as well as i could in a normal rally. My cure for it: clear your mind and think of nothing else, and to focus on the birdie only and concentrate how to get it over.
    Its ok to get nervous at the beginning of the first few rallys, by then, i normally clear my mind and focus on the bidie more than whats at risk.
    GL at your tournament! =]

5. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer
    ..drink a lot of caffeine to balance ur imbalance nervousness hormone, but this is only works for me !!..be warned ok !! :)