How to improve backhand...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Yodums, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

OK, so my weakness which anyone can see, is my backhand. I need tips of what to do and what not to do for a backhand. I really want to learn how to clear because on some shots where they picked on my backhand, they were already at the net and smacked it in our faces.

Get now, I think the main problem is when there's a backhand shot my hand gets really stiff because I guess I'm being pressured therefore I make mistakes and sometimes bad shots.

Yodums

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did you do a search? you will find numerous threads asking about the same thing.

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yeh, the best I could find was like making tricks out of it. One thread that had my exact question didn't seem to answer it as it only had 1 reply.

4. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    Learn to switch hands then you will never have to use the backhand...:p
    I have the same problem, just got to practice it more.:D

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Ya right... LOL One day I'll be pro and still be using that technique! I can see it all ;)

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    actually, i do know of a person who is ambidextrous who switches hands to avoid hitting backhand clears and backhand overhead drops and such.... also he does it to confuse to opponent.... wouldn't you find it weird to see your opponent go from left to right, left to right??:p

7. mojoe

mojoe Regular Member

student
    is that legal to switch hands during a game?

8. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I too know somebody who does that, but the trick to to catch him with fast drives to the backhand side. Since he usually change hands, he has not practiced his backhand and is weak in the backhand when pushed.

Ron

9. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

First you've got to learn the right technique.
    Unfortunately, that's something that can't easily be explained over here! :(
    You'll need a coach or a friend who's got good basics to teach you.

Although I have decent technique on my backhand, I have always had the problem of not being able to hit my backhand clears deep enough.
    I recently practiced my backhand clears using a squash racket.
    Initially the part of my hand just below my thumb hurt alot.
    But after I got accustomed to it, my backhand clears are now much deeper.
    And I can also hit harder backhand drives and smashes.

But I must warn you first:
    Make sure that you already have decent technique before you attempt to practice any stroke with a squash racket. Otherwise, you may injure your wrist BIG TIME!!!

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

You don't need to swap the racquet from one hand to another...just go on court with a racquet in each hand. Still legal as far as I know.

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    don't know if you ever tried that, it feels extremely awkward and it will throw off your balance. I am somewhat ambidexterous and I use to switch hands during points just to throw off the opponent. Then I learn to hit around the head and it is more useful to actually learn to do a backhand instead. However sometime now I would switch racquet hand between points but not during points.:D

12. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    A basic proper technique for backhand is to have your back facing your opponent. Timing is also very crucial and do not follow through your swing, but more of a snap. Once you have these correct, you are halfway there. This is of course just ways which can be properly explain here. I'm sure there are badminton websites that I've seen that shows streaming videos on backhand techniques.

13. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I find I can do a backhand clear when the shuttle isn't too deep, say up to 3/4 to the baseline, but any further and I find I just can't get behind the shuttle well enough to hit it deep. I guess that's just a matter of improving my court speed so I can beat the shuttle to the back!

14. biggy

biggy Regular Member

take a dumbel and do some wrist curls both side it will help you .. it worked for me !!!:)

15. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Primary muscles involved in the full-arm backhand:

Deltoid (muscle where arm meets shoulder). Initiates the arm motion; gives the arm its initial thrust. Can be strengthened by military press and by straight-arm dumbell lifts.

Tricep (muscle on back side of upper arm). Straightens the arm from the bent-elbow position. Imparts the whip-like motion necessary. Can be strengthened by push-ups, bench presses, and tricep extensions (Start with the dumbell behind your back, elbow bent, like you're going to scratch your back with the weight. Then straighten your arm, bringing the weight up and forward).

Forearm extension muscles. Imparts the final snap of power to the shot where the wrist bends back. Strengthened by reverse forearm curls and wrist-rollers.

16. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i guess i can tell u technique is quite important...u want to have proper technique so u won't end up damaging ur arm by forcing the bird to go when using ur backhand..

clear - lead with ur elbow..then when ur at the highest peak..snap the wrist and it'll come with practice..

smash/drop - lead with ur elbow..then snap the wrist when ur at an angle (for a smash)..easier if ur dropping..

for both shots, use ur arm (elbow) for control...

I'm afraid that's as best as i can explain it in words..maybe someone else can do better?

I can also recommend using a towel and snapping that again the wall...

17. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    hey yodums, i would love to teach you the backhand... but its just too hard to do it here with text...
    anyways... i'll give you some hints....
    don't use the backhand on purpose.... use round the head unless you're forced to use the back hand....
    decide you're going to use the backhand... and turn you body so that your back is facing the net... don't hit the bird close to your body, hit it further....
    if the bird is further than you from the net, you're probably not fast enough to hit it, and you'll blame you don't have backhand.... but really its just you're not getting to the shot..... think of the forehand, when the bird is behind of you... you can't hit it properly.... i always have this problem before... i blame it on my backhand... but now when i mastered it.... i think i'm just not there for the shot....
    the wrist is really important... use the backhand grip... relax.... and suddenly turn your wrist to hit the shot stressing on the thumb...
    hope that helps....

18. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    Ugh, I hate backhands. This week is our March Break so my coach found extra pratcice times for just this week (I think one a day). So my coach and I were there early today, so he started drilling me while everyone was just warming up. I asked him to drill me on my backhand and on my smash. My backhand is improving, but it'll still take a while before I will be comfortable with it. My coach gave me a few pointers. He said to hit it high as you should for all of your shots............not to reach with the racket but to move with it quickly so you can have time to prepare yourself........and to end it like a whip.
    So I was getting my backhand further today :) , that is, until the frame of my racket broke (sniff, sniff) :( I handled my racket properly, didn't hit it off the floor or slam it in car doors or anything. And it just broke during regular play. It is the oddest thing that happenned because I just got this racket at Christmas. I really have no idea what happenned, it was made of titanium.:( :mad: I am going to call the manufacturer and see about a warranty...
    The only comfort I find about my backhand is that when i am dominating a game I usually don't have to worry about my backhand and I can just drive it to the oppenents hopefully weak backhand.

19. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Well, the backhand is important in play. My backhand is very mediocre and unless I am in position, I rarely can go from base to 3/4 court. Backhand is mostly good timing with some strength needed as well.

BTW, what is the brand and model of your racket? What tension is the racket strung at? It is rare that rackets break without the player hitting the frame or hitting something. I would like to know what brands to avoid.

Ron

20. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Why not just run around it an hit it on the forehand/round the head??

Neil