Racket Recommendations

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by shiriblue, Jan 31, 2003.

1. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    Hey,

i've been searching and reading through the forums about the rackets i've been planning to buy.

Here they are:

Gosen Aermet 4500

Gosen Roots 5000ti

YANG-YANG JSmash 8500 or YANG-YANG JSmash TM-8K [same thing almost]

If you've noticed, all of those rackets are for smashing since I like to smash at every chance I get, and I put most of my energy in smashes. You'll also notice none of these rackets are Yonex's because they are too high priced with the exception of the MP 55 and that racket isn't all that great either.

So far I've read posts about Gosen not being very good quality, which I somewhat agree since I broke the frame of my friend's Gosen racket 6 hours after he purchased it. I've played witht he Roots 5000ti before and I liked it alot, quite solid.

I hear the JSmash rackets are a good choice also from the place i'm planning on purchasing a racket from as well as the forums. But its tough

So out of these four, which one would you recommend? If you don't recommend any of these rackets for constant smashing, which one would you recommend? Your respsonces will help.

thanks.

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Where are you located and what is your budget?

3. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    I'm located in the Bay Area in California. Budget wise is to $120. All the rackets that i've listed can be found here: http://badmintonalley.com

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One correction, at least I know, Yang Yang JSmash (used to be known as Tactic) 8500 is definitely not a smashing racket.

I have Tactic 8500 for 1 yr, 3U, BG65 @ 21 lb. It's a very balanced racket, excellent control, with decent power (I am not a hard hitter). It's u looking for an all around racket, this is definitely one of the good choices. However, if u r a hard hitter, maybe u should go for a racket with a little bit more "head heavy".

By the way, very good pic in ur website. I like the "prom" section. 100% agree, all the girls in the pic are great! :D

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Not knowing Yang Yang, how is the Black diamond? It is head heavy, stiff and seems to be what he may be looking for.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I would go with the 5000ti. I hear it has more smashing power than the 4500. There is also a 6000 but cant be found in the US i think. I have no clue on what the 6000 can do though. But if i were in your shoes, i would definitely go for the 5000ti.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    According to the spec, yeah.

However, since I never have my hand on this racket, I prefer not say about it. Since different manufactures have different rating in "head heaviness" or "stiffness". Therefore, before I try it myself, I can't say anything about black diamond. Just kinda afraid that I will give out the wrong information.

However, if he lives close to a retail store, I suggest him to go to the local store, swing the rackets by himself. It will be much much easier than listen from different options here.

8. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    haha yes all the girls are great :)

hmm... since the Carlton AsTi is on sale for on 90 bucks, I'll add that to my list haha. :cool:

But thanks LazyBuddy for the correction about the JSmash 8500. They made the YANG-YANG JSmash TM-8K and that is a modified JSmash 8500 which is a bit head heavier and has titanium. But what i'm really concerned about is just will the racket be able to withstand the amount of force I put in. I was a former JV #1 Doubles tennis player and I use my serving technique in my smashes generating alot of power. so yeah

9. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    the Yang Yang Black Diamond looks good, but I think its a bit out of my price range...

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow, u were a "pro" in tennis? Cool... I assure ur physcial strength and stamina should be good.

However, in tennis, I believe ur swing should majorly depend on ur arm. In badminton, u need both ur arm and wrist. I am not saying ur wrist strength is not good, but since u did not say it, I just want to point this out.

Badminton and tennis are kinda different sport, even though both are using a racket. The strategy and tactic are very different, but may vary depend on ur style of playing. Since u were good tennis player, I assume that u should fit for more "offensive" style, with killing smash (if u can apply the correct technic, and I am sure u can or u will).

Personally, I am more a wrist defensive player, who prefer to stay in front of the net doing defense, setup, drive and drops. Therefore, I am afraid that I can't give too much advice in ur style. However, I know a lot of ppl in this forum are much better players than I do, and if u have any questions, just feel free to ask.

No wonder u get all the pretty girls around u, hmmm... u r a pro... jealous jealous jealous... :( :eek: :D

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BTW, u say, "using serve tech"...

Do u refer to the arm movement? Or, u mean u just standing still smash, without jump or running?

Since badminton requires u to smash under various situation, like jump smash, net smash, smash while running (off balance, but sometimes, u have to), etc...

Just a question...

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Sorry... bs too much, and did not answer ur question yet. :D

Personally, as long as u don't put too much tension on the rackets (say, 30lb or above), I don';t think u can just break the racket just buy a pure clean smash. If u clash this racket with others, or hit the floor, well, that's another story then.

Yangyang's racket is good. At least, me and my friends who use this brand, never got any trouble for broken racket, yet. We all double players, which means, here or there we clash our beloved rackets with others. My Yangyang 8500 has some scratches here and there already, but no serious injury.

Therefore, if u r a beginner, u may put 20-22 lb for tension. If u are int. or above, u can consider put more, say 22 - 25+, but I strongly recommend u if u ever strung a racket over 26-28 lb, be very careful, and think twice...

13. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    hmm.... i mainly use my arm for smashing, but i've been trying to use my wrist more often now, until i broke my racket while attempting to restring it myself hahaha... never take the clamps off... never...

but anyways singles wise, if the opponent clears, and its not too much out of reach, i'll jump smash it, but its never powerful because i jump too late and i dont put in much body momentum into it.

doubles wise, many that play with me know i have a powerful smash. so if i say i got it, my partner will clear out and i'll run and jump and smash. i've hit my partner a couple of times with the racket and the birdie in the head before....

hahaha me a tennis pro?? nooo..... i may teach tennis, but i am certainly no tennis pro. haha but it was funny. :)

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Man... u r one of those ppl I am really scared to play with, consider I am always the one standing in front of the net doing setup... If this is a setup, I will be carried out of gym, instead of walking out by myself, after one match :eek: Now, I know why no guys want to be the "setup" guy, since it's not looked to be cool (often the powerful smash guy got the point), and too dangerous (like to have a partner like u, j/k :D )

While, seems that u already build ur strenth (arm, at least). Maybe u just need to work on ur timing (jump smash), and wrist movement. Plus, always force ur partner to clear out (unless he's brave to endanger his life, ;) ), is not a great idea in double. Since, this way, u and ur partner's formation is messed up, and give more chance for ur opponent to attack back.

Anyways, way to go, my buddy... U will surely doing well in the near future, if u get ur timing and wrist involved.

Before that, just trying my best to remember ur face, I have to refuse to be ur partner at least for now... :D ;)

15. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    lol, you in NY and me in CA, 3000 mi away. So I dont think you'll have to worry about me hitting you any time soon haha.

Oh and I'm very close to buying a racket right now. just got a $100 from Lunar New Year. Gotta love my Dad's cousin.... I think thats her title... yeah Chinese family is confusing. but besides that point, i'm really looking at the Yang Yang Black Diamond or the Carlton AsTi.

any other recommendations?

oh yeah could someone explain more about the whole thing with you can use a lighter head racket and achieve a faster smash than a head heavy racket?

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Force = mass * acceleration.

Heavy racket: advantage in mass, but slower swing speed

Light racket: disadvantage in mass, but generally faster swing...

So, just a matter of how strong ur arm/wrist and ur preference, both type of rackets can generate decent power in smash, if u apply the correct tech.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If u read my previous post about "a possible trip to San Jose", u will know this coming summer, I am very possible show up in CA, and of course, with my rackets with me to have some baddy action going on. :D

If you live close to badmintonalley, strongly recommand u to visit the store, and try to get ur hand on Yangyang Black Diamond, etc. Take a several swing if possible, see whether u like it or not. For the price of USD $100+, it's kinda pricy.

If u really decide to buy it or another racket recently, also make sure u have an idea for what kinda string and tension. Racket is a major factor in equipment, string is same as important.

18. Gyro

Gyro Regular Member

hey lazybuddy, i havent seen any people from ny here. where in ny are you from? do you know any good places to get racquets because i am looking to buy a new racquet before the season starts.

thanks

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, not too many ppl from NY area in this forum as I know. Including u, I think there are just total of 3 or 4, can't believe for such a major city, we are the minority here compare to CA area in US.

I live in Queens, which is the metro area. How about u? Which clubs u usually play in? We can surely share some information, as most of my clubs are kinda far from home (30 - 50 miles). U r talking about "season"? Sounds very attractive to me... Let me know that information, if u don't mind.

For racket shopping, I usually shopping online, since the only local dealer I know is www.nycbadminton.com. I think they are authorized dealer with Yonex, not sure whether they carry any other brands or not. I heard that deal is not bad, but I just hate to travel to the city at late night, so, never visit them before.

If u need additional information, plz let me know.

20. Gyro

Gyro Regular Member

Well lazybuddy i am student at Smithtown HS in sufflok. Sufflok county has 6 varsity HS teams, including the infamous Miller Place team which has world records for winning some 300 meets in row. The kids on the teams there go to the olympic training camps they are so good. The best a team has done against them would be last season when our team only won, i believe 2 or 3 matches.

As far as clubs there is one in Miller place that i know of, i found it on the web but i cant recall the site. But if you go to any club its probably there because Miller place is the place for badminton on LI.

I am looking for a new raquet because i bought a yonex B-560 DF, which is like the most basic raquet there is. Last year was my first year playing on the badminton team so i had no clue what is was doing when i bought it, i just got it becuase it was 18 bucks from sports authority.The team allows the students to buy raquets through a store in miller place but they only seem to carry the basics and nothing really good at all.

I have looked at badmintonwharehouse.com and badmintonalley.com and i have found some raquets in my price range which is max $65. Im not sure of the difference between an isometric and other types of raquets. I am not quite sure what raquet to get, any suggestions?:cool: