User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by patty
    The thing that always amuses me is that Yonex mislead by using the words BG-66 so we think it is a .66 gauge when in actual fact it is thicker than the Micropower which is a true 0.70. It makes me laugh... none of the Yonex strings ie BG 65/66 whatever, are actually that gauge. Give me Ashaway every time
    You are not using gauge correctly. Gauge comes in 20, 21 and 22 and what not (although a gauge of 21 could mean a thickness that ranges from 0.69 (micro) to 0.73mm (light) ). Yonex has always use metric to describe their strings as well specifying the gauge.

As in:
    1. BG-68 Ti - 10/200m (33/656 feet) 0.68mm 22 gauge
    2. BG-65 Ti - 10/200m (33/656 feet) 0.70mm 20 gauge
    3. BG-85 - 10m (33 feet) 0.67mm 20 gauge
    4. BG-80 - 10/200m (33/656 feet) 0.68mm 20 gauge
    5. BG-70 PRO - 10/200m (33/656 feet) 0.70mm 20 gauge
    6. BG-66 - 10m (33 feet) 0.66mm 20L gauge
    7. BG-65 - 10/100/200/500m (33/328/656/1.640 feet) 0.70mm 20 gauge
    8. BG-43 - 10m (33 feet) 0.75mm 20L gauge

I don't understand why you would think that Yonex is trying to mislead the consumers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps if someone were to contact Ashaway USA like I did they would find out !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would they find out

Btw... are you trolling? I can't tell. Let me just summarize what you have said so far:
    You contacted Ashaway, which told you that Yonex's model numbers represent gague numbers, and then they told you that they didn't represent gauge numbers, then they told you that Yonex are liars?

Ashaway claims their MicroPower strings have greater power, even though the name says "micro" which means little power. So Ashaway is lying to us?
    Last edited by bigredlemon; 03-11-2003 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Smile

Do you mean Ashaway claimed Yonex were trying to fool the consumer by their nomenclature?

as far as I have been playing badminton, I can't recall anybody claiming BG66 was .66gauge. I've been playing since before BG66 first hit the market (! a long time ago !!)

Maybe it's a Yonex backlash.
    Last edited by Cheung; 03-11-2003 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still doesnt change the fact that Yonex are trying to fool us
    patty, u better know what u r talking about before accusing others of trickery. Do you have any affiliation with ashaway or u r just too gullible ? gauge measurement is not precise nor consistent. For each gauge number (btw, there is no such thing as 0.66 gauge), there AT LEAST SIX varieties of measurement methods. For example of gauge 21

1. AWG = .0285"
    2. Steel WG=.0317"
    3. BWG=.032"
    4. US standard for sheet and plate=.0329"
    5. BG=.0349"
    6. SWG=.032"

More example:
    Yonex BG70 0.70mm/22GA
    Gosen Tecgut Tour 22GA/0.66mm

Metric measurement is the most precise system we got so dun bash it or other companies that using metric. BTW, yonex shoes sold in Japan are in cm, it is way more precise than UK and USA 's men/women shoe size measurement system. When i buy 26.5cm, i know i'll get 26.5cm where as i have owned shoes of USA measurement in 3 number sizes on my same feet.

I doubt anybody would think BG43,BG85, BG88, CBG100 as 0.43mm,0.85mm, 0.88mm and 1.00 mm, respectively
    Last edited by cooler; 03-11-2003 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then to my great surprise, Yonex is the leader in market these days, but not Ashway. heheheheheh....

Most ppl here at least, somehow deal with Yonex string before, did not ever heard anyone complain about "being tricked by model #". I assume, so many experts (no no, not me) here are not fools.

Like I metioned before, there's no law / rules force manufacture to use the numerical part of the model # to actual reflect any nature of their products.

Lucky u don't ever think SHB95 really means the shoe is size of 95.... j/k

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    Well, first, BG-66 is 66mm, which is ultra thin compare to most other strings (yonex or non-yonex).

For example, so many strings are using 68mm and 70mm, it's impossible for any manufacture to use a perfect "numerical" name to indicate their product.
    Sorry sorry... all the #s listed above are missing the "." in the front. God knows what I was thinking at that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You contacted Ashaway, which told you that Yonex's model numbers represent gague numbers, and then they told you that they didn't represent gauge numbers, then they told you that Yonex are liars?
    No I contacted Ashaway about their string gauges. I then measured them against Yonex. I am a stringer and have no affiliation with Ashaway, just prefer their strings. I am saying Yonex mislead the general public. They obviously do not your goodselves, as you are serious about your badminton and research.

I came to this site on a recommendation to find out more information on various things. Just wanted to state my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a simle solution:

get a caliper, and measure different Yonex strings at different points. Repeat with other brands. If Yonex is much more "off" than other brands, we can file a class action law suit against Yonex. Everybody happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I'm leaving.... didnt expect to get flamed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patty,

I clearly respect your opinion. However, most of others did bring up their reasons as well, but not just critizing each other.

As you can find in many other threads, ppl in this forum (at least, most of us) are friendly and willing to help each other. Yeah, there were such and such debate, and sometimes the tempo was a little bit high. However, no one really tries to just hurt others, or only making fun on new comers with no reason.

Still did not really get ur point about ashway strings. Do u really mean, after measure the string, u think ashway string are more accurate and more on a consistent base? Well, I never did such tests on Yonex, and I can't really say. However, if u r using different measure units (as "cooler" stated in above post), there could be certain confusion involved.

No one here really say, we have to protect Yonex or something. Most ppl here can judge quality of product in a fair and scientifical way. I don't see why we need to be really upset when several ppl just point out different opinions.

Well, hope u won't really mind about being the "minority" in this topic (nothing wrong to be minority, there's always ppl like certain things, while the majority like another. Just pure preference.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Lazybuddy

I suppose what I was trying to say is that it can be misleading to Joe Public that Yonex name their strings as they do which gives the impression that that is the gauge so assume that the Ashaway strings are thicker but less durable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it can be misleading at first. Hey Patty . . . wondering off a bit . . . what kind of stringing machine do you have? And have you strung baddie racquets up to and over 30 lbs before?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see ur point.

Well, to be a "smart" shopper, we need to at least read the spec before spending $$$. It's true, a lot of ppl who don't know string very well (say, beginners) might come up with such and such assumption. However, at least, they should at least get a feeling with the price tag and spec, and try to pick a "safe choice" (base on the price, spec, reputation, advice, etc) within their price range.

Also, it's not very difficult to just ask around, or even bring up a discussion in public forums like here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have an old Oliver lol... been stringing for many years.. but now have one made by RAB....

No I dont string over 30lbs usually the max is around 24/26. I find sometimes if a machine isn't calibrated regularly it can read 30lbs but not actually be pulling to that tension..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default welcome aboard Patty....

Trial by fire - good pass Patty!

I remember when the BG66 first came out, and the marketing pitch at the time was that this string was thinner than the BG65, and whether it was intentional or purposely done, a lot of players got the impression that the BG66 also reflected the fact it was thinner - 0.66mm. I'm not sure if I originally heard that line from the Yonex dealer or just from other players who perpetuated the rumor.

But in subsequent strings released the numbers went over and above, which would not at all reflect any corresponding thickness (remember the BW470? - nice). They also had some lower numbers too - BG45? That was there lower end string.

So I remember there is some 'truth' to the BG66 number, be it intentional or an urban legend.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you Lazybuddy

I suppose what I was trying to say is that it can be misleading to Joe Public that Yonex name their strings as they do which gives the impression that that is the gauge so assume that the Ashaway strings are thicker but less durable.
    Now you got me really confused! (last 3 words). Not sure I can work out the logical thinking processes there

As a side note, I know that in your area, Ashaway strings are pretty popular. My experience is that plastic based shuttles are used by the local District league of that locality. The shuttle doesn't seem to slide on the surface of the racquet face as much as Yonex BG65.

as for Joe Public knowing about gauge of strings, not sure they would be any more familiar with that measurement system than metric.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast