Smash consistency

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gashead, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gashead

gashead Regular Member

Student
    Hello badminton players of badminton central.com, im a average/poor level club player in need of some assistance.

I often lose loads of points smashing into the net (or in some cases into the floor) its very frustrating, especially in singles where if im playing in important games i can even get scared to smash incase i miss and lose the point, therfore leading to rallys that last most of the night. Im fairly consistent with most of my other shots its just my smashes i have a problem with.

So has anyone got any tips to improve smash consistency?

Like specific feet positions, where to look etc, I mean the obvious thing would just be to repeat some smash drills over and over, but ive done this without much success (or enjoyment).

Ta in advance

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You're probably trying to hit the shuttle too hard. If you ease off the power, your accuracy will go up.

I recommend establishing accuracy first, and only then trying to ramp up the power. If this means you have a very weak smash, then so be it! It's better than a smash that goes in the net all the time. ;)

3. gashead

gashead Regular Member

Student
    this is true, im playing tonight so il give slow accurate smashes a bash and hopefully get a few more over the net rather than into it!