Fast or Slow Drop Shot, Deep Smashes Questions

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BrioCloud, Jun 29, 2010.

1. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Hi. I take my badminton technique and theory quite seriously and have always been struggling to understand the drop shot. The type of drop shot I began to do as a beginner was to have a slow drop shot that was close to and barely over the net. I then realized that this gives too much time for my opponent to reach it. I then began to do fast drops, then I realize that my drops were so far away from the net that my opponent didn't have to make much movement even if they leaned towards the back court.

I have used 3 different techniques. One technique is to swing fast but then gently hit the birdie. This created the slow drop.

Another technique was to slice or reverse slice the shuttle, creating the slow drop also.

My last technique that I am beginning to understand is to swing fast throughout the shot, but aim downwards and cross court, creating a cross court drop that is not extremely far or close to the net.

I have a strong foundation in understanding on which shots I should do depending on the situation and type of player. However, I am much confused in exactly what I am trying to accomplish when doing these three types and techniques of drops. I do have ideas of what I am doing, but I would like to know your perspective. I feel that the idea of "drop it slow and close to net when they are in the back" is a bit oversimplifying the answer. How do I counter and what exactly does this shot create for the user? What are the flaws and disadvantages, etc?

Likewise, I have found an incredible strong player that creates extremely deep smashes towards my back court forehand position. I would also like to discuss the merits of this shot.

Please, I hope you guys offer your opinions and help my badminton! Thank you!

#1 BrioCloud, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

One problem with the slow drop is that your opponent can reach it while it is high and close to the net. This leaves you vulnerable to both the tight spinning net shot and the crosscourt net shot. If your opponent can move in quickly and play one of these shots, you'll likely have to lift your next shot.

With the fast drop, your opponent takes his shot lower and further away from the net. This makes the net shots less effective but allows for flatter lifts.

Also, if you catch your opponent off-guard with a slow drop, he might have enough time to recover and play a deep defensive lift to reset the situation. If you catch him off-guard with the fast drop, the return would likely be a weak net return that you can attempt to kill.

3. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

My answer would be deception and shot variation. Keep your opponents guessing what shot you'll do and where it'll go. It's important that your preparation looks the same for this to work. :cool:

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You may have read this already, but just in case: drop shots from my singles tactics guide.

As stumblingfeet explained, you're essentially making a trade-off. The main problem with slow drops is that they usually give a fast opponent too much time to reach the net, and from that position he can play tight spinning net shots (and tight cross-courts).

However, if the opponent is late to reach your slow drop, you can move in close to the net, knowing that he must lift very high to get any depth.

Fast drops do not allow your opponent to play tight net shots, but he can still play a flat lift. This means you have to be more cautious about moving into the net: even if the shuttle is almost on the floor, your opponent could still flick it to the back.

5. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    First of all, you mentionned that the slices create slow drops, this is not always true. Depending on the amount of slice and how hard you hit, you can vary between a very slow and a very fast drop: use this to your advantage. If you are far away from the net, you should probably hit a fast drop that wont give you a big advantage, but that wont allow your opponent to take the advantage either. If you get a shorter lift, or intercept an attacking clear, then the slower drops can become useful, but they have to be deceptive (swing fast but slow racket head at the last moment). Slices can be used from anywhere, but adapt the slice to your situation on court. Maybe you should try to look at where your drops are actually landing: I think that a good, well angled and deceptive drop shot should be quite efficient at getting your opponent off balance: if it is not the case, then maybe the execution of your drops is not good enough.

As for the flat smashes: Those shots are mostly used in singles and aimed straight, near the lines. A flat smash hit crosscourt or at the body is quite risky. The idea of the flat smash (if aimed near the lines) is to make it hard for the opponent to hit a crosscourt reply or a lift/drive. Basically, by the time you move to the shot, it's most likely to your side or even behind you, leaving you only with the straight block as an option. Knowing this, your opponent who is using the flat smashes should try to come forward to the net quickly after hitting that flat smash.

Mathieu