Looking to play in Seoul...near SNU

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by ryan0270, Jun 29, 2010.

1. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

I will be moving to Seoul this fall to start studies at SNU. Having become relatively recently addicted to badminton (2yrs) I will, of course, be looking for places to play on a regular basis.

Does anyone know if there is a club on campus? I couldn't find anything on the English version of the website. If not on campus, how far to nearby clubs and what are the typical costs? Also, is there a reasonably priced way to get a bit of proper coaching (just to improve my game, not looking to compete at the highest levels)? I'm not sure how my skill level compares, but I would guess I'm at an intermediate club level.

2. event

event Regular Member

The last time I looked for coaching it was 100,000 won a month for three times a week. It could be more now and Seoul could be higher but I think that another BC member found something similar somewhere in Seoul. Coaches are always former competitive players. An obscure little elementary school near where I live has 2006 national champion Jung Youn Kyung as a coach but some are just former competitive university players, etc.

As for a clubs in a university, they aren't that common, actually. I might be able to check something for that.

Lots of clubs in the area, though. This link has clubs in the same 'gu' as SNU. #11 has 4 courts at an elementary school not too far from the campus. #6 is at Samsung High School and #3 is at Seoul Girls' Commercial High School, both right outside the main gate of SNU. #9 seems to be run out of a dedicated badminton gym near the side gate (hoomoon) of the university, near Nakseongdae Park. The photos at the blog for #9 look pretty dodgy, though. #1 is the same area but a different gym, I think.

As for costs, #6 says 40,000won a month for men, 30,000 for women, including shuttles, I think, but it mentions 100,000,too, likely an initiation fee. You might be able to convince them to waive that if you're only there for a term or two. Almost every club in Korea advertises itself as having a 'family-like atmosphere' so if you commit time and money, it's great though that isn't always easy with a student's schedule and budget, not to mention if there is an age, culture and/or language barrier.

If you're looking for somewhere to play where you can drop in and pay admission, that is sometimes more convenient but apart from the gym used by club #1, I don't think you'll find one in that area of Seoul.

3. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

Thanks event. I will be there for around 3 yrs and part of my "education" will be learning the culture and, by default, the language. I'm 29yrs old...not sure where that would fall in the age differences.

Does the gym that lists costs also list how often they play? In my area of the US clubs are usually 2-3 days per week around 3 hrs scheduled. The US West Coast also has some all-day facilities where you can go pretty much anytime. What is the norm for Seoul?

4. event

event Regular Member

Well, if you have the time and the money to commit to one of the clubs, that will likely be your best bet. It isn't uncommon for clubs to have no more than 2 or 3 members under 30, if that gives you an indication, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Most clubs play 7 days a week. While it's not uncommon to find a gym that is open 6AM to 10 or 11PM, I find that it is rare to find strong players any time but early morning or the standard 7 to 10PM. There is one gym in my city which is frequented by younger players who work shifts at some local factories and there you can find good players almost any time of the day but at the other gyms, it's all senior citizens at off-peak hours.

Most of the clubs on the list don't mention days so the default would be 7 days a week. I just noticed, though, that #3 on the list plays in the mornings. Sometimes the same gym can have different groups that play at different times of the day so it's worth just showing up in the evening to check it out but this is less likely when it's a school gym. I hope this helps.

5. event

event Regular Member

6. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

Thanks event. I'll definitely have to check that out when I get there.

7. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

I noticed the site seemed to be unused, but I was able to get the name of the club (SNUCock) and search around online. Everything is in Korean so I can't read it, but there is fairly recent material so I'm assuming the club itself is still active. When I get to Korea I will ask some lab-mates for help in tracking down information.

I've been directed to the snulife site previously in my apartment search but haven't seen gosichon. Are those generic posting sites kind of similar to Craigslist here in the US? Is the snulife one specific to Seoul National University or more general?

8. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

awesome! I'd seen links to a cyworld site but the link address was wrong. Time to stress test google's translate capability hehe

I'm surprised that snulife has "smut" (for lack of a better word) like that on it. The SNU website links direct to there listing it as the "Student club's homepage" giving me the impression that it is more directly affiliated.

9. event

event Regular Member

Hi ryan0270.

Did you arrive in Seoul okay? Good luck with the club crawl. Let us know if you need any more info.

10. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

Yeah, I recently arrived at SNU. I've just started to track down information on the school club. I need to see what skill levels they are willing to accept :D Otherwise I'll look into the Naksoendae ones that you mentioned.

11. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    looking to play in seoul/snuh

Dear ryan0270,
    are u still in seoul?
    i'm staying near sillim station line #2 near boramae park
    was looking for someone to play with...
    drop a line when u see this
    thanks

12. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

I'm playing with the SNU student club at Gwanaksa high school (at least, I think that's what the place is called) near Nakseondae station.

If you have a cyworld account, I think it's easiest just to use the club page http://club.cyworld.com/snu-badminton

I had to have a lab-mate get the information off of there for me (it's completely Korean). If you need more help let me know and I'll see what I can do.

13. event

event Regular Member

If I read that right (even with Korean ability, there isn't much to glean from a cyworld site without a login and possibly signing up for the club itself), they actually play at Gwanak Middle School, which is very near Nakseondae Station. I believe Gwanaksa is the name of an SNU dormitory. There is a Gwanak High School but it is several subway stops away. And, of course, the mountain that forms the back of the SNU campus is called Gwanaksan.

14. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

Yeah, it must be the middle school then. Getting there from SNU Gwanak campus I just go out the rear gate and keep walking. The school is about 2 blocks up a hill past the street that line 2 runs along (and about 2 blocks NW from Nakseondae station).

15. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    hey thanks for the update guys.
    event as usual you are a fount of useful information my sincere gratitude.
    ryan0270 i'll catch up with you soon as I get a racquet again (left all of mine at home)
    btw when do you guys play at Gwanak middle school?

16. ryan0270

ryan0270 Regular Member

We play Tu/Th from 7pm-10pm and Sat from 3pm-7pm.

If your anxious to play before you get a racquet there are plenty of guys willing to let you borrow one.

17. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    thanks for the quick reply ryan.
    I'm actually at snu main hospital right now but i think i can probably join you tonight.
    Need to just go home and get a quick change of clothes.
    Btw what exit do i take from naksondae station to get to gwanak middle school?

18. docden

docden Regular Member

physician
    ok i just asked another fellow for directions and we looked at a map and he says take no. 5 exit from nakseongdae stn and turn right after 2 blocks. So i guess I'll see you tonight.

19. james60195

james60195 New Member

For those who are looking for a place to play badminton near:

1. SNU
    2. Gwanak-gu

You are welcome to come to play at the SNU university club!

We play Tue/Thu(7pm-10pm) and Sat(3pm-7pm)

It is located in Gwanak middle school

The quickest way to come is to come out of exit#5 of Nakseongdae station(line 2)

and walk straight until you come across a crossroad(u will see a police station on the diagonal direction, and a church on the left)

After u come across the crossroad, turn right(u will see a CVS(family mart) on your way) and go straight and straight.

You will eventually see your destination on your way.

Anyone is welcome, but since we have to pay the rent of the gym,

those who play regularly should pay the fee(about 20000won per month)

Most of us who play here are university students

and have well-playing players as well as beginners,

so I would like to say that

Everyone is welcome! Come join Us!

P.S. If you any questions, please text me(010-7510-0303, 정재영, (Jae Young Jung or James Jung))

I might not be able to get your phone calls so please text me rather than calling me:)