Need ADVICE - playing against a dominant player who just LOVES to SMASH!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by SharpEye, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Recently started playing a new friend at Badminton who is obsessed with smashing, and as returning smashes is the weakest part of my game, I was looking for some advice from you guys on how to best return and convert these returns into points.

As much as it pains me to lose so often to my new partner, it just makes me all the more addicted to playing and developing. All advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

2. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

How's his backhand? If it's weak, then go from there..
    Try alternating your shots. Clears, drives, pushes, tight drops etc. whatever it takes to get that point.

3. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

It is more so the effort of returning that smash, what is a solid way of getting it back to him, and is there anything that combines with this to take him by surprise, not a trickshot neccesarily, but something that will take the edge off his smash, and force him to re-evaluate the success of his smash, lol.

Techniques /drills etc

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Try this: just don't let him smash so much! Try some low serves and drop shots, force him to play at the net more.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

First thing you need to do is switch to a head lighter racket as compared to your current one. Why head lighter? Because it'll give you better maneuverability and defence.

Second, you just found someone who can help you improve your weakness! So, ask him to keep on smashing so that you can keep on practicing.

6. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

True, but I need a little more in the way of technical advice. The racket tip is good, I think I will use one of my lighter headed rackets. Additionally though when I hear / see that smash coming, how should I be preparing to return it?

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

do you split jump into a wide base before your opponent hits the shuttle ?

8. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

No i tend to just overstretch. Can you explain this split jump please? Sounds interesting?

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

#9 LD rules!, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Video not available? Hmm... will be sure to check it out though... what tags can i search for it under?

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

something is wrong with my computer I think, the tags are: Taufik, Hidayat, Tien, Minh, Nguyen, Djarum, Indonesia this should give you the videos

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Just drive back low shots. Practice hitting against the wall. Helps your reflex and strength. ;)

13. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Grip is important here. Having a backhand grip with the thumb on the widest bevel with racket head at about chest height and of course out infront of you. U want to take shuttle out infront of you and not in near ur body.

You should be bent at the knees to get lower down to the ground but dont go so low thats its uncomfortable. It should feel comfortable. And be bouncing on the balls of ur feet.

1st work on just getting them back. Ifs it singles then the best return is the short return over the net.
    When you get better, you can start doin cross court net returns which will really catch him out and then as a variation, try cross court lift returns so its makes him move to get the smash but if you want to stop his smashing, do a net return

Hope this helps

14. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

ideal, excellent adivce there, and that video was a good watch too. thanks all. Will practice and in time will let you know how i get on :)

15. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Sharp Eye

Go to my blog and read the articles on How to Out Play an opponent. It's a 3 part series. I'm sure you will find tons of information there to help you.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

16. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Just had a quick browse through your site, and it looks really interesting / helpful. That is a great link cheers! Did you write it all yourself?

17. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    SharpEye

I write all my own articles and reviews. There isn't anything on my site that has been copied from another source.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

18. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

I use to hate to play players who have very strong smashes but now i love to play with players with strong smashes and people who smash alot, because firstly the shuttle will always be comein down towards you so you only have to move side by side and my coach told me once to never fight power with power fight power with control, then you can move your oppenent whn he smashes so then he wont really smash cause how long can some 1 smash?

19. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    A little wrist flick should do the trick pal. Anticipate the angle, place it @ an empty location, otherwise, lift it back like double players do. The key is to make it hard for your smashing dummy friend to get the shuttle back. As soon as his smashes will not be effective anymore, he'll stop that. Personally, i'm excited when my opponent wants to smash, i'm smiling like "cmon, show me what you got ! i played with speedminton shuttles so i aint scared !"

20. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

simple but works

Second this, it's simple and concise but comprehensive.