JUMP SMASH! The jumping part

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crimz, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Hi every for those who are experts in Jump Smashing your advice would be need. For those who are having problems, you could get some pointers and tips here.

Firstly I would like to say that my jump smash is terribly ugly and that there arent much power transfer from the jump which means that my jump smash is just alittle faster than my normal smash. I would like to know whether to do a full jump or just a moderate jump? I normally do a full jump, my right (racket) leg does pull back but it leaves my left leg behind in the air. I lose some control too. So I'm wondering whether the professionals do a full jump, as in they jump to the highest that they can or do a jump but a controlled one. Furthermore even when the shuttle is lifted very high and its the best time to do a jump smash I dont get the right feeling to execute it and so i just stay there and do a normal smash. Is there anyway to train my jump smash, for the jumping part and the legs?

2. p_dharun_rao

p_dharun_rao New Member

Textile Designer
    Nice quest!! the point is, u can only do a jump smash when ur leg muscles(feet , calf muscles, KNEES specially, and ur thighs) are strong enuf to push you up easily and not uncomfortably!! try strengthening your legs muscle so u can jump high easily without making u unbalance for the shot!! If u tend to push urself upwards without having sufficient energy in ur legs then your upper body becums totally unbalance. try starting with some few moderate jump short or jump as u feel comfortable, as u get used to jump smash then u can actually jump up to max height for the max power!! I m sure u must be good with the smashing technique.Remember jump smash power comes from the whole body n not just by strength of the hands!!

3. Rocker

Rocker Regular Member

Students
    My biggest problem when I do jump smash is timing....

4. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    keep praticing till you get it..
    1-you need to train .. just jumping and touching the bird with your racket to messure your jump and air time and fall speed (most effective when not using strenght, just technique swing)
    2-proper jumping technique is a must
    3-gradually increase your swing speed and strenght at the same time keep focus on where you hit the bird and when during your jump
    4-repetition...repetition

hope that helps

cheers!!

5. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    thanks for the tips guys
    i'll try to practice on my jump
    need to add more muscle on my legs

6. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

any video to show how its done the proper way to jump smash?

7. kewlboi

kewlboi Regular Member

accounting manager
    i think there should be a slow transition. first master the ordinary smash. next, master smash with a scissors jump. then finally, after the scissors jump, you can do a full jumping smash. i just got the drift of the scissors smash. im still on my way to perfecting it.

8. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Oh yes that all makes sense I have very weak leg muscles. My right leg muscle is way way bigger than my left leg one! I think there is a total imbalance of energy and power in both legs. Trying to boost the left leg though. Maybe the imbalance of strength is giving me some problem.

9. Omage007

Omage007 Regular Member

IT software and hardware
  10. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    You know I've been training my legs and hey, it kinda helps. It gives you more "feel" before you jump. However I have 2 main problems.

1. When I'm given a shuttle, my jumping kinda deproves because I start focusing more on the shuttle and not on my take-off. Anyone know how to help me focus on both areas while jumping?

2. I think I'm rather stiff and not relaxed before I jump. The same problem would be when I'm given a shuttle I start to focus on the shuttle and get more tense instead of being relaxed. Being relaxed allows me to jump easily while bringing the "power" along with me before transfering it into my arms.

How should I work on these 2 areas. I have definitely been improving this past months but I still think its not enough.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think you may need to just do a lot of skipping; not just basic skipping, but with variations in speed, height, action etc. However, you should try to do as many reps as possible. Your body will retain the memory of coordinated movement and balance, and your jumps will improve as a reflex action.

It will also improve your lower body musculature and explosive strength...

My 2 cents... :)

12. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    HAahaha I do skipping too and my body coordination is for the normal fast speed skipping. But if you noticed I mentioned above my both legs are different in terms of size and of course strength. I'm not sure whether it affects my jumping cause i just video cam myself down and I realized that both feets take-off at different time. The right one goes up first followed by the left. =(

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Have you tried workout routines at the gym?

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    to increase your jump smash (height and effectiveness) you need a good training plan

not simply jump to wack the shuttle as you could do more injury to yourself than gain any air time

best is to consult a qualified coach and he can guide you but of course its hardwork - physically!

enclosed a photo of one of my trainee, 17 yrs old.

Attached Files:

15. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Yeah I work out in the gym at least twice a week. I train my entire legs. Are there any specific exercises that would improve my jump smash?

Wow pBmMalaysia thats a good jump smash from your trainee. How would you instruct one on executing a jump smash? I've been using peter rasmussen online video on youtube for reference, seems pretty good to me just that I lack practice I guess. MY coach keep telling us not to jump and he doesnt train our jump smash. =(

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    its hardwork, buddy

and its call plyometric

if your coach doesn't want you to jump smash now he must have a reason!

maybe your stroke execution is not perfected yet, sorry i have to find the reason!

you need to perfect your half smash and smash and at the same time quite a tough circuit training

even going to the gym then before you go plyometric, this is very explosive and not careful you will get injured!

it takes months and a lot of hard work and there is no short cut

talk to your coach again!

17. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Ah Ic Plyometics huh. I've been working on Maximal Strength training all these while. Yesterday I started on Plyometrics training for the upper body, i guess its time to start on the lower body! Thanks for bringing this up! Its the explosiveness right?

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, you have to be explosive before you can do jump smash!

it affects your lower body most follows by core and upper body

you don't want to jump smash 3 feet and sting like a butterfly, do you?

train carefully and train hard but most of all train smart

you will then be able to do your dream jump smash one day!

cheers!

19. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
  20. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional