Beginner needs help to become at least an average player ><

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, Jun 30, 2010.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    Hi all,well here's my story i started badminton a month ago ...and i am 15 ...(yea i didn't played it when i am younger regretted used those time playing computer games..) i really had an intrest for this sport and i need some help to improve it.
    So here are the problems
    1.Smack -I cant smack i mean at all! it keeps passing over me and even it i am able the shuttle flys high above rather than going front in a quick succession like Lee Chong Wei's.
    Q.how do u really smack?

2.Footwork-i seen many people saying footwork is important ...but i don't understand how ..i seen some videos but i cant really elaborate what they're saying...
    Q.how do you do it?and how to practice footwork?

3.Defense-how do you block a quick smash??i mean it's so darn fast , u do occasionally but i seen my friends block them ...
    Q.how do your really block a shuttle?

Well that's it..if possible u can post it with a vid it will be greatly appreaciated :)
    I am not rushing...just wish to improve my skills and really enjoying this great sport!(my friend service i catch he counter and i lose it's that fast and that bad i am)

Add info
    Racket: proace dms 320
    Level : Very rookie

2. malaysianfreak

student
    Sorry also
    4.What is the most important thing about badminton technique? Is it the grip , footwork , technique , racket?

3. Vicky Chips

Vicky Chips Regular Member

http://www.badmintonbible.com/
    This website has lots of great information on how to improve your game. It's written by Gollum.

I'd say the most important thing about badminton technique would be footwork; with proper footwork you can reach the shuttle earlier giving you more time to play a shot, which reduces the chance of playing a desperate shot. Footwork also helps you conserve energy as you'll be able to reach the shuttle in fewer steps and with a more fluid motion. Also, proper footwork helps reduce the chance of injury :]

Technique is also very important, and grips fall under the category of technique. Learning the proper grips shouldn't take too long, around a week but most likely less than that. In my opinion, it's best for you to have an instructor teach you the proper strokes, as incorrect strokes could be hard to correct if they become a habit.

I wouldn't consider the racket a technique :p. It's not as important in the beginner stage, unless you're using some old racket that's been sitting in your garage for the past century or so. As your skill level increases, you may find the need for a new racket, but I think your current one should suffice for now!

Sorry for not answering your questions in the order that you asked by the way :p. About returning smashes, your reflexes will improve as you improve your game, so don't worry about it! If you're really keen on improving your reflexes, you could always purchase a reflex ball (those balls with odd bumps on them).

The most important thing about badminton is to enjoy the game and have lots of fun; like all sports, no amount of footwork or technique is better than the enjoyment of the game and the drive to do better :]

Sorry for the wall of text! Next time you have a question do a quick search on the forums as lots of these questions have been asked before! My post was just a quick regurgitation of what I've read around the forums, I'm by no means an expert in badminton!

4. erictung

erictung Regular Member

I'm not too sure of what the "smack" is, maybe care to explain what type of shot that is. But from what I see, smack should be when you make contact with the shuttle.

Retrieving smashes and hitting the shuttle just naturally comes after playing badminton for a while. There's no speedily way to get better. The best way to get better is to play as much as possible, without injuring yourself.

There's a difference when you practice. Practice for fun and practice FOR REALZ. When you practice for fun, it's harder to get better because you're not really 100% focused on how to improve. For example, the first year I started playing badminton, I was playing for fun and I barely improved. But when I practiced FOR REALZ, it took me about a month to improve. When you practice FOR REALZ, evaluate yourself, see what you do wrong.

Right now, the best thing is not to watch Lee Chong Wei own up other people, it's watching tutorial videos on footwork and strokes. Practice the strokes at home in a WIDE OPEN SPACE. Look up videos online for proper technique!

GOOD LUCK!

5. malaysianfreak

student
    Thanks! Well i did try badmintonbible.com but i heard it needs money to subcribe does it?well i shall try later(since i have to go to church now)!It seems that i have to practice my footwork since it's most important =Di tink i have to do rope skipping , shuffling? Thanks alot aniways!!

6. malaysianfreak

student
    Sry i mean smash =P(typo) hmm i do play badminton a few times a week just beacuse it's so darn fun! i tink thats means i practice for fun >< i obviously aren't qualified for any tournaments although i should try it next year or so xD
    anyways i do see videos about badminton..i am currently starting with the basics such as footwork and grip!
    Lastly thanks for your advice it's highly appreciated!(wow i am like writing an essay =P):eek:

7. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Badmintonbible is free. The site contains lots of info about technique, footworks and etc.
    To really improve yourself, I think you should get a coach to get you into the right track. By training yourself, you might not even know if you are doing the right thing.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

All the articles are free. For example, if you want to learn about footwork, you could read my footwork guide.

There are also coaching videos. These do require a subscription (£3 a month), but you get a month's free trial to decide whether they are worth it.

Hope that clarifies things. :)

9. malaysianfreak

student
    o...only the coaching vids cost $$ xD din know that gonna check it out right now!

10. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

you need faster and more efficient footwork to get behind the bird everytime and also not to tire yourself out.
    you need to think of placement.
    you need to develop a smooth stroke that employs good wrist/arm/body snapping movements and produces a good sound and goes far or hard without straining your arm too much.
    don't bother with trick shots or deception that much yet.
    maybe get a coach. also do some drills to make sure your shots are standard (clears go high and far to back, lifts are consistently going to back, smashes are threatening, drops are consistent, net shots aren't too high).

11. ssssaaamm

ssssaaamm New Member

well try to get a good coacg if your serious about getting better. when your trying to smash get roght behind the shuttle and hit it in front of you and not too high. it may take some practice but you'll get it right eventually, for footwork just do star runs (starting n centre of court and running to do shots in eahc of the corners and sides, but always come back to centre) defense, if smashes are coming hard and fast get your racket in the right place and just flik your wrist, no need for fancy swings, the momentum from the smash will give you the speed it needs to get over the net. good luck with getting better and keep at it, it's a great sport

12. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Q.how do u really smash
    A.To Smash,you use the same pose as forehead clear , but instead u stand in front of the birdie and just do a full swing movement( leg --> Hip --> arm --> Wrist) it take some practice

Q.how do you do it?and how to practice footwork?
    There is many style of footwork , but for starter i recommend the shuffling one (the one without crossing legs),to practice u just have to stand in the middle of court and reach the 8 point of the court with footwork (net left,right,middle; mid court left right;back court mid left right)

Q.how do your really block a shuttle?
    A.For Starter,when u see the other player put and smashing position,bend ur legs by a bit,then put ur racket a bit lower then usual and dun swing it right away after he smash, try to focus and look at the birdie,cuz it might look fast at start,but the bird get slower and slower as it come to ur side

13. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You mean behind, not in front, right? The birdie is in front of you -> you are behind the birdie :)

14. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Lol My bad XD yeah i mean behide the birdie >:D or esle it will become a overhead weak clear

15. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

When I started playing badminton at my club, I was definitely a beginner. I think the following were the main things I added to my game one after the other to get better where I can say I am an average player:

1. Use the correct grip. The typical beginner grip allows for easy driving motion, but it is so limited in motion that it affects your ability to execute all other shots and later on you will find that the typical beginner grip is even bad for driving.

2. Use Pronation and Suppination as part of swing your racket. Once you have the proper grip, the pronation and suppination is required to get the proper swing of the racket for your strokes. Once you get comfortable with this you will find you can execute strokes more consistently when under pressure.

3. Proper stance to receive the bird. Be on the balls of your feet as it allows you to react and move quicker. A receiving stance that generally has your racket hand foot slight forward as this will minimize the chances of your leg or body being in the way to defend. As well this stance allows for comfortable movement out of the stance.

I believe these were the biggest three changes to my play that helped me move from beginner to average play at my club.

16. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    By 'smack' you mean 'smash'?
    Sorry, just asking to clear this up for others who may want to help you. I have no teaching experience and would not even attempt to show someone else the correct technique or alter their style.

17. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Everyone have their own style of badminton,after u have the basic,all ur technique transform into sumthing that fits only you

18. skyhigh

skyhigh Regular Member

Some of the tricks or techniques you may want to master, such as forehand in forecourt/rearcourt, backhand in forecourt/rearcourt. try this website http://www.xbadmintontricks.com. details in explanation with video tutorials.

19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai there Malaysianfreak,

Congratulation to you first because you are starting to get closed to this fascinating sports we call badminton. Your situation, similarly like anyone that is starting to venture this sport, sometimes makes them just don't know where to start and at your age, with the high level of enthusiasm and the adrenaline rush to learn a lot, makes you want to learn more and quickly.

Like any other sports or given work, or task, if you are starting from point A and wanted to progress to point B, you need to learn clearly first how on earth you can go there. The question is, how are you going to learn if you don't know where to start, how to start and also how would you know that you have already achieve the supposed objective given?. To answer this you need someone to properly guide you and monitor your progression so that you can start smoothly from point A, learning according to the correct path road so that you to reach your designated target that is point B.

You can by all means do it by yourself since there are a lot of written documents and video about coaching available now, but as a coach by myself, i always believe that, to have a strong concept about all the vast aspects regarding Badminton, is to properly combined both the correct knowledge available in hands with the correct applied practical method for it to fuse properly in order for it to work magnificently, beautifully well. To clap, you need both hands to do it my friend. So the best things that you need to do now is to search yourself a:

- Personal setup coach or
    - Clubs setup coach or
    - Experienced player that can guide you

In regards the above questions that you ask on which technique is more important in Badminton, actually from my opinion, all the above are important because, without one, then there will be a flaw on how we will play this sport we call badminton. Hope Badminton will make your life happier;)
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

20. shahkiz

shahkiz Regular Member

Student
    hey malaysianfreak.anyway where do u live in malaysia,i can get you a good coach at the lowest price..you can improve your badminton technique in a short time,i also play badminton when i was 15 and find a personal coach to improve my game quality.if u interested,pm me..