How to teach.... forehand overhead ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am coaching some beginner/intermediate badminton players at my company's badminton's club. I am doing this voluntarily as i think many of them can.... erm... use some proper training... ;)

Having been through a few coaches myself, i have learned how to coach some basic techniques, things like footwork, net shot, lift, doubles formation, etc.

however, there are few in which i am not too clear with. one of the most important one is the overhead, the most important shot in badminton... :)

i understand the mechanics of it, preparation, cg at rear leg, rotation, racket back, elbow point to ceiling, swing, cg to front, follow through.

but how do one actually teach it so adult beginner/intermediate can understand and learn effectively? one of my coaches had us ditch the racket and do the motion with shuttle in hand and throw it forward. that actually worked ok.

what other methods do you recommend?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Throwing shuttles overhead is a good exercise to understand the motion.

Only other suggestion I can think of is, once they understand this motion, for you to feed them tons of shuttles for them to practice.

3. Hakular

Hakular Regular Member

To get them to swing at the highest point, make them try to hit the net (if there is a basketball net there) or you can just use your rocket and give a height for them to reach...

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Wow... I wonder if LD can reach that high...

Sorry.. can't help it.. I know you meant racket.

5. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I saw a coach use a fishing rod. He used a semi-inflated balloon and tied it to the end of the rod.

Ask a student to hit the balloon while you raise the fishing rod, so that the student strive to hit at the highest point.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One of the difficulties with learning forehand overheads is that there are so many different things going on at the same time.

I find it helps to focus on one or two main ideas at a time -- such as getting the contact point right. But after you've spent some time on that particular aspect, it can be helpful to switch to another aspect (such as the footwork, or the arm rotation and grip tightening at the last moment).

By approaching the stroke from these different "angles", the students are learning different elements in parallel. I find this more effective than the "six weeks of throwing action practice" approach. Often one aspect of the technique helps to "unlock" another.

7. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

1:Do the ABCs:
    2:Watch people play:

8. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    I totally agree on breaking the task into smaller pieces. I have recently seek coaching to help me correct my overhead swing. Personally I find getting the arm mechanics down first is helpful before working on the contact point. After that add movement around the court.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Although it will take some time to play forehand overhead shots I think the most important aspect to learn is to use a straight arm that hits the shuttle at the highest point, with some minor adjustment for the smash. Throwing a shuttlecock as far as possible is one good exercise. Another is to stand parallel to the net and as near the net as possible and practise forehand overheads with a racquet. This way it will ensure you have a straight arm that hits the shot at its highest point and that you will not hit it low to avoid hitting the net.

10. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I haven't got speakers on my work pc but this link has proved helpfull to me in the past. Even though its for tennis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiNtwjZRACA&NR=1

11. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The biggest problem for beginners to understand is leaving the racket head behind as the elbow throws forward, essentially, one needs to see the bicep popping up! "Show us yer muscles".

Years ago it was coached to put the racket head down your back. This is frowned upon today, however, it does have an advantage in that it helps to learn the mechanics of supination and pronation without knowing what the words mean! So, if we take some of what was used in the past and combine it with the ready position and preparation used today for lighter rackets then the drill becomes more natural and flowing without having to break it down too much.

12. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

Basically,believe me,your colleagues need you to say something nice only when they come to you for the ABCs,they don`t really want to do badminton like a pro;they just want to have some fun,do some work out and social a bit;wanna bet,they will still be asking the same questions in a year or two.For supervisors and persons you want to please,believe me,get them a coach,they push themselves harder than your colleagues even if they`re the very beginners.You pay "Red Robin" after the games as always.