Should we tip our stringers?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Feb 3, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Should we tip our stringers?

If waiters deserve $5 for not spilling our food on us when they brining it over, surely a good stringer deserves something for all the effort s/he puts in. Bartenders get tipped a buck or two for puring drinks--a 7 year old can do that! If we could only tip one service person, surely the stringer would be the most deserving. And yet I've never heard anyone saying the phrase "I can't belive he broke my racquet, no tip for him this time!"

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    if you should tip your stringer for good service, i would NEVER ever tip my current stringer...

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmmmm, depends whether they give you good or bad service. I mean if you known them for a long time and they have given you great service then sure a 1.00 - 2.00 tip everytime would be very generous.

Of course if they're bad, no!

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i don't think many of them expect it lol.

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Hmmmm..

If everyone give's me a tip per restring job I think I can afford to go and buy another racket! :D

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I would say yes if you have a good stringer who constantly produce great string jobs, you can give them a few extra bux for their job well done(once in a while) but if he/she's a bad stringer... then of course... FORGET IT! :D

7. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Tipping stringers, never heard anyone doing that. :D :D Well....until now.

8. bigredlemon

Perhaps I'll do that next time... rounds out what i'm paying for strining to an even amount.

btw: How about not tipping lousy waiters and getting them wages above sub-minimum-wage? I'd like to see that happen sometime. Seems like tax and gratuity doubles the final price most of the time so I never know how much the meal costs... and i'm good at math!

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If my friends can even pay my labor (don't even think about tip), but not just only the string, I can at least get more chances to get my hand on high end strings (BG85, BG88Ti, CB100, etc). :(

j/k... Sometimes, it's good to help the close ones out. ;)

10. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    u actually have the choice of not giving your waiter/waitress any tip.... but to be honest, that person would have to be the MOST terrible waiter/waitress in the world to not deserve any tip.... as long as they perform their duty, they deserve SOME amount of tip no matter how poorly they did it...

i've only came across the situation once where the people i was dining with were so furious that we only left a $1 tip.... despite the meal costing quite a bit....

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    My dad's friend did that once cuz the waiter had a really bad attitude, after he left the restaurant, the waiter actually came out after them yelling at them for not tipping him -.-"

12. bigredlemon

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed, your dad's friend or the waiter:rolleyes:

Mandatory tipping just seems to be some bizzare way for the restauranteurs to get us to pay for their staff. Tipping for good service is a good idea, but expecting a tip unless they do something horrible is just weird. A few weeks ago, the waitor even brought me the wrong dish! I didn't realize it was the wrong dish because I've never had it before. The waiter came by a few minutes later, after I already started eating, and got mad at me for not telling him it was the wrong one! The dish was for a different table, so he wasn't even close! Gratuity is included of course, for large groups, so I couldn't exactly demand to have the tip back without creating a big hassle. I think stringers are much more deserving of that tip than most of the waiters I've had.

btw: I've only had a small handful of waiters who come by to ask if I wanted more to drink within 5 minutes of my glass becoming empty. I'd tip for something like that but forgo everyone else.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I heard that that waiter was more than just doing something horrible, he actually put down one of the plates really loud the whole restaurant could hear it, almost splashing the liquidy substances on my dad's friend, however, i mite be wrong since I wasn't there to see the whole thing :)

btw... in NY and much of the eastern US cities, I think they automatically add tip to your bill~~

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Same thing in HK. The tip is included in the bill already. You do not need to tip the waiters but Hk'ers get this bad habit of tipping anyway.

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    MAN!! i should lik goto HK and be waiter there for my summer job!! since they get "double tipped" hehe :D

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Are you sure you can speak Cantonese? The pressure is very high and job very physically demanding. And the politics can be an eye opener to the laid back Canadians. :)

17. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    physically demanding?

wicked, fitness training for Badminton!
    lunge to table 1!
    pick up dish from right corner, place in left corner, 3 steps back to back court right.. :p

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Correction - that is called 'service charge' which is already included in the final bill.
    A tip is over and above this.

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh yes, thanks for the correction Cheung.

20. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    so i cant speak cantonese(still in the process of learning it)... but I think i can qualify if they only look at how heavy you can lift~~
    politics on the other hand... ei... I'd stay outta that :)