A hard feeling string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by David_Allan, Jul 5, 2010.

1. David_Allan

David_Allan Regular Member

Hi all

To cut a very long story short I've been playing around with alot of different string and am yet to find the right one for me. I've found my ideal tension 24lbs but am yet to find a string. so far i've had BG65, BG65Ti, NG95 and Ashaway Micropower

Im looking for a hard feeling one like BG80 love this string but its quite expensive to get strung from my stringer £15 :eek:. any ways has anyone got any other alternatives to BG80 and yet is still easy to get in the UK.

Cheers

David

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

BG-65Ti should be a bit cheaper and more durable than BG-80, though not quite as repulsive. Remember that your "ideal" tension might change when you switch between strings, especially when talking about two strings of different thicknesses (0.70mm vs. 0.68mm). People tend to string thinner strings at a slightly lower tension because the thinner strings already tend to be repulsive enough that they can reduce the tension to gain some more durability.

3. David_Allan

i understand that but BG65Ti is sooo dull in feeling that i feel that i get no feedback from it so i tend to stay away from the Ti coated strings as a result

4. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

Ashaway Zymax 67.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Where you getting your rackets strung ? £15 is alot, thats why I buy my strings seperatly, if you buy from stringers world, then you can get BG80 for I think about £3-4, and then get it strung (labour costs £8) so it ends up costing £11-12, instead of £12 (BG65) to £17(NBG95-98)

So you cansave yourself money this way, as well as being able to select strings that your stringer doesn't have.

BG80 is probaly one of the best hard feeling strings, Zymax 67 is apparently very good, I am yet to try it, but will do so soon. I am going to try ZM70 @ 30lbs and see what it's like. Then try 67 And 62.

Btw Victor VS850 is a great string :D

6. David_Allan

Yeah my stringers cost for labour is £10 :eek:. and hes the closest i can get without having to go to the Cockburn centre in Glasgow which i know LD uses. so with strings from stringers world there is really no difference in price.

I have been looking at the Zymax 67 but ashaway strings are really slippy so im constantly fixing them. Ive aslo heard alot of good thing about the VS850 but can seem to find a set to try out.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Victor UK has the string, just not on the website, if you email them regarding VS850 then they will send them out. It was £5 per string, so therefore it's the same price overall as BG80, at the same stringer you go to.

8. David_Allan

as you have used the string how does it compare in gauge, repulsion and durablity compared with BG80 and BG65

9. David_Allan

as you have used VS850 how does it compare in guage, repulsion and durability with BG80 and BG65

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

This is where one should say, "DO A SEARCH." Master Dinkalot has done a review on all 3. one in the VS850 thread, and the other 2 in his string thread.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Repulsion: BG80=VS850
    Durability: VS850 hasn't snapped yet.
    Tension loss: it does lose tension, but not as much as BG65, so probaly string it at 25lbs.

Maybe you should try, BG65 even though it is medium feel. Or just try Zm62

12. David_Allan

i had BG65 for a while and found it too soft for my liking and 62 too thin so it looks like a try for the VS850

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I meant BG66, not 65 sorry. You might want to try BG66

14. David_Allan

ill have a look at the BG66 the only problem is that i am starting to use my AT900P more and after switching from a headlight NS9000X my timing's a bit of so im mishitting a bit too often for my liking so im looking for a slightly thicker string till i get the timing down

15. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

It should be very personal to mention that BG80 is far from 'hard feeling'. NBG95 is a lot harder if you mean that it should have less damping. Maybe you could try BG70Pro. It's oval fibers are designed to have less stretching capabilities and keep the tension. Repulsion is in that way also worse because of this. Tension differs for each string. NBG95 plays better at high tensions.

16. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl
    A variety of hard feeling strings is not easy to get.
    The reference is BG80.
    Other hard feeling strings I ve tried are:
    Babolat superbraid (0,75 discontinued, I ve never tried hiperbraid)
    BG65Ti, crisp but after 2-3 weeks training tension drops.
    Ashaway Rally Ti 22 @12kg
    You can get hard feeling at a short period of time from a BG65 but you have to put high tension, no less than 13kg.