Stringers near Shepperton, Sunbury etc...UK

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Smithy88, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    I know there is Shepperton Sports and i found one in Walton but they charge £18 to string BG-80 claiming you only pay for the string and stringing is free which is crap.

Is there anyone who knows of anyone or anyone here who could string rackets cheaper?

Thanks

2. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Have you tried getting your own string and ask them how much labour is? The place I used to go for stringing (before I got my own) charged £8 for labour costs if you provide your own string.

I got BG80 either as packs from Mybadmintonstore (was around £3-4 per pack when the exchange rates were great, though probably no longer the case) or either a reel from say Watdon at £60 for 200m. This would give you a saving of around £5+ per racket.

3. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Might well do that, £18 to restring is a lot though they don't break on me often as i only play at 24lb. I would love to learn to string myself but as i don't break strings enough then would be pointless at the moment.

4. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Just phoned Shepperton Sports. Their cheapest basic string is £10, if i bring my own strings then they would charge £14. How does that work?

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

a) They're on some kind of sponsorship/promotional deal with the maker of the cheap string, or
    b) They've got so much that they're also using it for floss/washing line/shoelaces and they want rid:D.

I agree, though: labour-only shouldn't be anything like £14 - a compentent stringer can get a frame out in an hour, a GOOD one in less than 40 mins.

6. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    The cheap string isn't branded lol so not A it must be the second that they can't get rid of it.

Got a couple of other options though may ask at my club if anyone can do it or knows anyone.

7. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Smithy

Contact UKRSA and they will help you find a competent stringer in your area who won't rip you off. You can find UKRSA by searching on Google.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

8. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks, the prices around here are too high

9. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Everyone charges around £18 still. Though can get a packet of strings for myself at £5 so i just think £13 is a bit much for labour.

Its not worth me getting a stringing machine until i go to uni and see how much more i play

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Bit of a catch-22 here, isn't it: your local stringers are too dear, and if you DO find a cheap one further afield you'll have to pay postage both ways, making it pointless. I'd get your machine ASAP - this is EXACTLY why I bought mine and I've never looked back.

11. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    True but atm i'm not breaking strings and only replacing factory strings. Its not worth it, i might save up in my first year of Uni for one if i find i need it.

12. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Found a guy in Walton who will do it for £10 any string if i provide them, so buying a few packets at a time i could get the price down from £18.50 to £13. Plus a friend at my club said he knows someone.

13. cata.barna

cata.barna New Member

racket stringer
    Hi there, I live in Sunbury and I'm a UKRSA stringer. More than happy to help if you still need a local stringer.
    I can give impartial advice from a player perspective and a stringer perspective as well.
    To string a badminton racket it takes longer (aprox 1 hour or more depends on the racket) than tennis or even squash rackets. There are more mains and crosses plus the badminton rackets are more "delicate" and require more finesse and attention from the stringer. I know stringers who don't even want to hear about badminton rackets!
    So, from a player point of view of course I understand you want cheaper than £18 for a BG-80 re-string. But how much would you pay a contractor for a one hour call out?? Some charge outrageous money I know...

As I said I'm more than happy to help! Advice is free of charge and re-stringing also cheaper than above :))

racket.stringing@yahoo.co.uk
    Catalin