Which is better?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Joey Emerick, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Joey Emerick

Joey Emerick Regular Member

I am interested in buying a new racquet and have been looking at the BABOLAT PULSAR and the KARAKAL Ti-70. Have any of you had any experience with either of these racquets? I am an offensive doubles player. I did not like the MP99. Right now I am using an MP77 and like it but want something different for a change.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I belibe the Karakal Ti-70 is shorter than normal length racquets. That would really lower your reach and reduce your power. From what I remember, the mp77 is long (doesn't say length on yonex.com) so it's going to be a big change for you. The Ti-70 also has less power than you are used to. I guess the Ti-70 is the exact opposite of your mp77! Something to consider

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Bigredlemon,
    The power is not lost due to the short length of the racquet. In my honest opinion it rivals the ti-10. My racquet of choice was the Ti-10 however i preferred the weight of the Ti-75 for doubles. Bigredlemon you should try out the Ti-75 you'll be pleasently surprised :).

Joey Emerick,
    I have experience with the Ti-75 and i believe that is the racquet your referring too unless your referring to the SL-70. There is no Ti-75. In anycase i find the Ti-75 an excellent racquet for either singles, doubles or mixed. The racquet is head heavy, the shaft is super stiff which provides great smashing power and control. The racquet is extremely light which provides great defence when needed in doubles. Although the racquet is light the head heaviness gives it great control. There is a more detailed analysis of this racquet in the product review section of badmintoncentral.com . Look up miscellaneous racquets. Good luck with your choice. If you want more info please feel free to pm or email me.

Cheers,
    Nick

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Curious to know but what was so bad about the MP99? What did you have 3U or 2U? I found that the MP99 was a pretty good racquet for offence since it had a similar 1:1 ratio with control and power.

5. Joey Emerick

Joey Emerick Regular Member

MP99

I do not know why I did not like the MP99 but it just didn't feel right. I think the MP77 is better in every aspect than the 99. The feel, power, quick around the net. I had the 3u version. I also meant the SL-70 not Ti-70.

6. bigredlemon

I was refering to the SL70 too...

A shorter length racquet should result in less power because the racquet head is moving at a slower rate per degree twist of your wrist and arm. A slower swing speed won't affect a heavier racquet much. For a light racquet, most of the power comes from the speed of swing, so it would be problematic. I myself have not used the SL70 so it's just my theory on shorter racquets. I'd love to try out the SL70 or Ti75 but i dont have that option:(

7. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Wouldn't a shorter racquet, possibly the shaft create a more stiffer racquet since there is less material to bend? Therefore, more power should be created in the stroke.
    But he said he was an offensive doubles player, so probally a lot of smashing and driving. In this case, I would agree with Nick to choose a lighter racquet since the game is fast paced.

8. bigredlemon

the SL70 is already a stiff racquet from what I remember, so he'll be getting less power were it to be even stiffer. What you say would be more important if it was a flexible racquet.

9. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Stiffer=more power....unless the person cannot produce enough swing speed.

I would say getting a Stiffer racquet would be more beneficial for a fast paced offensive doubles game.

10. bigredlemon

Quite a few people on this board and the BC review section thought that stiffer=powerful and bought a stiff or extra stiff racquet, only to find they could produce little power with it. I think the average offensive doubles player is probably better off with a medium-stiff racquet rather than an stiff or extra stiff. We all think we are superman but not all of us are. Getting a racquet that is both stiffer and lighter could give him a hard time clearing from the back. I dont know for sure if the SL70 is actually stiffer than the mp77 but i'd guess they are about the same. At 30g less, as well as 20mm shorter, he;ll probably feel a significant loss of power. Your milage may vary. I'd put some extra thought into it before making that big a change.

#10 bigredlemon, Feb 5, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  11. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    And yes, you mentioned that a few people on this board were influenced by the forum and review sections. But have you ever thought about the type of player they are? Or the level of play they are at? Or even how strong their wrist and arm are?
    For Joey, their might be some significant changes due to the lenght and weight of the racquet, but people can learn to adapt. In the past, I have played some player that was a ex-sponsor and distributor of Karakal and he was using a Ti-75 or SL70 and I can assure you he had the hardest drives/smashes, and he was not really built nor skinny, just like the average player. And yes, the player I was playing for was an experienced and older person than me and very skillful too.
    In this post, we are debating on which racquet will be suitable for Joey's style of game and I feel that the SL70 or Ti-75 would be more suitable. But everyone has their own recommendations, it is only for Joey to decide.

All this debating isn't going to get us anywhere!....haha....:p
    Why doesn't Joey just demo both racquets??....:confused:

12. bigredlemon

My point exactly. Because it is[/i] going to be a large change, he should try them out before getting it in case it's not suitable for him. I never said he shouldn't get the sl70; i said he should choose wisely (instead of buying which ever gets the thumbs up from us)

13. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    So I guess we could say that this is the end of our debate....:p ...

REMATCH NEXT TIME.......:D