Exercise to strenghten Wrist

Discussion in 'Grip' started by kevindd992002, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    What is the right way in developing one's wrist strength? Are those wrist balls effective or are dumb-bells enough? If so, how light/heavy should a dumb-bell be to be effective? And what is the correct way in doing the exercise?

Thanks.

2. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Power Balls etc, I find are excellent, and as I do tend to suffer from Tennis Elbow, well Badminton Elbow, I find them really good at strengthening the tendons which get so strained during so.

Dumbells are also good, but a power ball will also really help your badminton grip and wrist strength, soo much more than dumbells.

3. kevindd992002

Engineer
    I just read a thread somewhere here in Badminton Central that says that a powerball will increase wrist strength in a way that is NOT for Badminton. Is this true?

4. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Wrist strength is vital for badminton, like the quick snap on a smash, or just general control and power. Wrist strength is vital.

5. GEEGEEGEE

GEEGEEGEE Regular Member

Swing your badminton racket around in your room with the cover on. Just use your wrist to move it up and down/side-side. The cover will provide some air resistance, therefore strengthen up your wrist/forearm.

6. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Yup but I'm inclined to buy the powerball since it is fun plus exercise but I need to be sure that it is FOR BADMINTON.

7. kevindd992002

Engineer
  8. kevindd992002

Engineer
    bump! 10characters.

9. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

trust me the powerballs are great badminton tools, they train wrist strength, grip and control, also when you keep it going at high speeds you practice keeping the flick action, needed for badminton

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Powerballs are not specifically designed for badminton, but due to the circular motion that you use to keep the momentum going it works a variety of muscles.
    I believe that it is very helpful as I use mine about 30 minutes a week and I have drastically reduced the incidence of tennis elbow I was getting. And all my firends that use it cannot get as high speed as I can, and none of them are badminton players, therefore I would put that down to my badminton playing.
    I think you should try and find someone that might lend you a powerball for a week, if you like it buy one.

11. SharpEye

SharpEye Regular Member

Andy is spot on here, you can read alot telling you otherwise about power-balls, but like Andy, in my practical experience (unlike what I presume is hypothetical poor foresight in other peoples eye's) they are excellent.

12. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Oh ok then. And it is always good to buy the original DynaFlex Powerball right? Not some of the cheap ones?

13. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I had a cheap powerball and the dynamo broke quite quickly, I have a proper one now for £25 and i haven't had any problems yet.
    The powerball that has no computer thing on it is about £15, but to prevent boredom, the computer counter thing can be fun to attempt getting high rpm or the time challenges.