PT-10 Shuttles and PT-Premium review + ProtechSG's new contact

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by ragebane, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ragebane

ragebane Regular Member

Not sure if anyone was having the same trouble as me finding PT-10 shuttles last week. It seems that the PT-10 distributor has moved offices. They are now in Ang Mo Kio (new contact details on their website www.protechsg.com.).
    Anyway back to my review, PT-10 has been thoroughly reviewed these past few years and I’m glad to say it’s quality is till top dog in the local arena.
    Brief overview - Speed is consistent across all 12 shuttles in the tube.
    Flight pattern is stable and smooth, always landing in a 45 degree angle where the racket hits the cork instead of striking the feathers.
    Durability is good as well, used about 1.5 shuttles in 2 games (15point), its ability to take the punishment during smashes is quite impressive. Its durability being second only to PT-Tournament – the big brother of the ProtechSG range.
    Overall: Pros:
    - Consistent performance across all shuttles in the tube
    - Good durability
    - Price is reasonable (retailing at $30.90, but is cheaper if you buy in bulk)
    Cons:
    - Can be a little difficult to find in shops at times (hopefully the distributors can do a little more to tell their fans and retailers when they MOVE as not all of us keeps going to their website!)
    PT-Premium Review
    ProtechSG scores again with a pretty good but unknown model; price vs performance wise.
    Premium Review - As expected of ProtechSG, the speed is consistent across all shuttles.
    Flight pattern is just as good as PT-10, where the angle of descent is around the 45 degree mark presenting the cork to the racket instead of the feathers. (One of the reasons why shuttles in the ProtechSG range lasts longer than your average shuttle)
    Durability is pretty decent as it was also able to take quite a bit of punishment from our smashes however it did not last as long as the PT-10 shuttles. While not quite as tough as the PT-10 shuttles it’s performance is still lasted us a good hard 15 point game.
    Overall: Pros:
    - Consistent performance across all shuttles in the tube as expected, comparable with PT-10.
    - Excellent price vs performance match (retailing at $25.90, but gets cheaper if you buy in bulk!)
    Cons:
    - Still a relative unknown in the market as ProtechSG does not do much advertising.

Theres a relatively new brand that’s out in the market but no one seems to have noticed it. I’ve just bought a tube of Xzile shuttles. Will be testing it over the weekend and providing a review in the coming week!

2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I heard 10n10, who used to be the 'exclusive' dealer for PT10 shuttles and provided delivery of the shuttles to the shop, will stop selling apacs/proace products and focus on Lining and Kason.

Was told this new brand of shuttles is produced from the same factory as Protech. My team tried out the shuttles and find its much faster. Look forward to your review.

3. ragebane

ragebane Regular Member

Thanks for the update Sealman, just found out that the new distributor for Apacs, Pro Ace is called Ace Sports SG and that they are also the distributors for the Protech PT-10 shuttles as well. Paid a visit to their office and showroom and found that they have also obtained distribution rights over 2 others brands Flex Power and Xzile.

Seems like they are now the go to people for badminton products!

Contact details as follows for those interested;
    Northstar@AMK
    BLK 7030 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, S(569880)
    Tel: 65706883
    (Best to use Serangoon North Ave 4 and go to the end, was circling Ang Mo Kio for ages as the building is new and not on my street directory and GPS :mad:!

Not too sure if the Xzile shuttles are from the same factory as Protech...the feel from the Xzile shuttles is different from PT-10. Sealman which model of Xzile shuttles did you try out? I was testing the LF-X2 model. Look at the Xzile post for my review.

4. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

5. ragebane

ragebane Regular Member

Hola4 I think the info about Protech Masterpiece belongs to a separate thread. From what I understand, the Protech Shuttles in Singapore are sold by a separate company not related to the Protech Brand in Malaysia.

Personally I have tried both Masterpiece and PT-10 with my group and PT-10 comes out better in both performance and durability. My group also finds that the quality of Masterpiece varies as there are duck feather shuttles mixed in with the goose feather shuttles. We used 2 Masterpiece shuttles per game, compared to 1 PT-10 shuttle for 2 games...poor value for money in our opinion.

6. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

ragebane. Different groups have different opinion on shuttlecocks. IMO from the past, protech PT-10 was from Malaysia protech that distribute to a local small firm to rename as singapore version and it main biz is not in sport products. Maybe, things change now.2 same brands selling badminton products but not related in neighbouring country. Who is the real cat? :confused:

7. ragebane

ragebane Regular Member

Can't say I know the history of Protech, nor am I interested as companies come and go. My concern is whether I am getting what I paid for...

It's true regarding groups having different opinions on shuttles, however quality and consistency of the product is easy detect. Paying good money for substituted poorer quality shuttles in Masterpiece is just bad business and unethical conduct by the Malaysian company. This was already raised in the Malaysian Protech thread and is the main reason my group and I have stayed away from the Malaysian Protech models.

Once bitten twice shy - we were bitten 25 times as we bought a box :crying: