User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, Ajay almost did it! But when the match went into the decider, I guess it was CJ's superior physical fitness that made the difference. Ajay just tailed off in the rubber after the interval. Since this match wasn't on camera court, there was no live feed, but I would love to see an upload of this match.

Ajay has played very well in this WC edition.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay is participating in the Vietnam GP Open beginning August 23, where he is seeded 5 in the mens singles.

He should make it comfortably through to the quarter-finals, where he would probably meet 4th seeded Alamsyah Yunus of Indonesia.

Ajay is currently at 29 in the BFW rankings, while Alamsyah has dropped down to 32. They have never played each other yet. It should be an interesting match, and current form may dictate the outcome.

If Ajay gets past Alamsyah, he will be up against a man who will refuse to lose: Sho Sasaki, seeded 2 in this tournament.

This tournament gives Ajay a real chance to make a statement on his terms; lets see if he is ready to grab the opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was really impressed when I saw Ajay play at the WC, his smash seemed so fast and effortless.

Ajay will also play in the German League next season here in Hamburg for the club VfL 93 Hamburg (http://www.badminton-spielen.de/1-bu...aktuelles.html, in German)

Just noticed that the Vietnam GP Open go until the 28th, while the first matches in the German League are on the 27th and 28th. Should I hope for an early exit, so that he can play here?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastie View Post
    I was really impressed when I saw Ajay play at the WC, his smash seemed so fast and effortless.

Ajay will also play in the German League next season here in Hamburg for the club VfL 93 Hamburg (http://www.badminton-spielen.de/1-bu...aktuelles.html, in German)

Just noticed that the Vietnam GP Open go until the 28th, while the first matches in the German League are on the 27th and 28th. Should I hope for an early exit, so that he can play here?
    Lets see how the next round goes! He is up against 4th seeded Alamsyah Yunus of Indonesia tomorrow, in the quarter-finals. Actually, given his current run of form, he should be able to win that round as well...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...and 5th seeded Ajay has just managed to get past 4th seeded Alamsyah in a 3-game match, 15-21 21-11 21-15
    There are no more details available at this time.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Indian shuttlers' challenge in Vietnam ends
    Aug 28, 2011, 02.18AM IST
    Full report: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/9763153.cms

Excerpts:

The Indian shuttlers' challenge at Vietnam Grand Prix came to an end with Ajay Jayaram and Gurusaidutt crashing out in the men's singles semifinals in Ho Chih Minh city on Saturday.

...Jayaram began well against the second seed and World No. 9 Japanese Sho Sasaki by winning the first game with ease at 21-12. The early success had raised hopes of another upset but the gritty Japanese fought his way back strongly to shatter the hopes of the No. 5 seeded Indian.

Rallying gallantly, Sasaki pocketed the next two games and the match 12-21, 21-14, 21-16 setting up a title clash on Sunday with top seed Tien Minh Nguyen of Vietnam.

The last time the 24-year-old Jayaram had met Sasaki, the Indian had lost in straight games 16-21, 19-21 at the Dutch Grand Prix in 2010. This time, Jayaram displayed a better show but his best was not enough against the more skillful Japanese.

A disappointed Jayaram, who had reached quarterfinals in the World Badminton Championships in London recently, blamed the lack of full fitness and unforced errors for the loss.

"I played very well in the first game but made several unforced errors in the second and third game which cost me dearly. Also I was not fully fit as I was suffering from groin injury and because of that I could not hit the smashes hard. That probably helped my opponent," Jayaram told TOI on Saturday.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jayaram credits John for career revival
    Suhas Nayse, TNN | Aug 30, 2011, 03.52AM IST

Full story: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/9790593.cms

Excerpts:

..."My confidence has really boosted by recent brilliant performances. Few people expected me to reach pre-quarterfinals in London and last four in Vietnam but I was confident about good show as I trained hard for the last few months," Jayaram told TOI on Monday.

The 23-year-old is back in Mumbai early on Monday and immediately rushed to see the doctor for treatment.

"While playing in Vietnam I suffered injury because of which I lost a close semifinal against World No. 9 Sho Sasaki of Japan in three games. After the scan today, the X-rays revealed there is a muscle tear in my abdomen. Doctor has advised me to take compete rest for few days," he said.

...The tall and athletic Jayaram attributes his career revival to Tom John, under whom he has been training hard in Lucknow. The former chief coach of England and Portugal national badminton teams has now shifted his base in Lucknow.

"I credit my success to my parents and Tom John. He (John) is responsible for making lot of positive changes in my game. Earlier I used to lose matches after dominating early but he told me to be patient and play aggressively. I am benefited a lot under him. Earlier also I had trained with him in Portugal. My whole attitude has now changed and results are there to be seen," he reasoned.

Jayaram has a packed schedule this season. Apart from playing various international tournaments, he will also turn up for Germany's leading Hamburg Club as their professional player.

"I have a contract to fulfill for Hamburg Club. I will be there for two months (October-November) and another two months early next year. When I will be in Germany, I am also planning to compete in European circuit," he said.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay Jayaram: confident, level-headed.
    Watch the short video by CNN-IBN here:

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/182611/...for-glory.html

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay Jayaram pulls out of China Masters.

India's No.2 shuttler Ajay Jayaram has pulled out of the China Masters after suffering an abdominal muscle tear.
    Jayaram said he got injured during the Vietnam Open.

"It happened during the quarter-finals and felt some pain in my lower abdomen as I attempted a smash. It did not feel so bad then but after the tournament it became worse".

Jayaram said that he had been advised to rest for 10 days. Thereafter, he started training and now is back to his full schedule now.
    "I have completely recovered now and have resumed regular training. I am able to smash and move as well as before," he said.
    Jayaram also said that his chances of participating in the Japan Super Series (in the following week after China Masters) are fairly bright.

"As things stand now, I am going to participate in the Japan Super Series (starting on September 21)."

Jayaram is happy that his good showing at the World Championships and the Vietnam Open saw his ranking rise to No. 25 -the highest it has ever been.

"It is always good to be ranked in the top 25. Badminton is a very competitive sport and I am happy that I have maintained consistency over a considerable period of time."

When asked whether he had set any goals to achieve by the end of the year, he said: "I am not the one who sets targets and then tries to achieve them. I just try to play my best in every tournament."

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/saina-nehwal-aims-to-get-back-into-top-three/1/151076.html?cp

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Japan Open: Ajay just removed Tien Minh from the tournament in straight games, 21-18, 21-19. Awesome!!
    This guy has been one of the most consistent improvers this year, and is now a qualified spoiler/floater.

Up next, he is pitted against Simon Santoso. This should be a really exciting and interesting game to watch. The difference in styles will be very pronounced, and how Ajay deals with it will show how much he has matured.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay bowed out in straight games 22-20, 21-16 against Simon Santoso. Not too surprising, but it may have been a very instructive match for him, in terms of dealing with the Indonesian's style of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I am not the one who sets targets and then tries to achieve them. I just try to play my best in every tournament." ???? huh!! so, who else is setting targets for him? If he himself doesnt want to be world no:1, then he will always be a nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Ajay Jayaram pulls out of China Masters.

India's No.2 shuttler Ajay Jayaram has pulled out of the China Masters after suffering an abdominal muscle tear.
    Jayaram said he got injured during the Vietnam Open.

"It happened during the quarter-finals and felt some pain in my lower abdomen as I attempted a smash. It did not feel so bad then but after the tournament it became worse".

Jayaram said that he had been advised to rest for 10 days. Thereafter, he started training and now is back to his full schedule now.
    "I have completely recovered now and have resumed regular training. I am able to smash and move as well as before," he said.
    Jayaram also said that his chances of participating in the Japan Super Series (in the following week after China Masters) are fairly bright.

"As things stand now, I am going to participate in the Japan Super Series (starting on September 21)."

Jayaram is happy that his good showing at the World Championships and the Vietnam Open saw his ranking rise to No. 25 -the highest it has ever been.

"It is always good to be ranked in the top 25. Badminton is a very competitive sport and I am happy that I have maintained consistency over a considerable period of time."

When asked whether he had set any goals to achieve by the end of the year, he said: "I am not the one who sets targets and then tries to achieve them. I just try to play my best in every tournament."

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/saina-nehwal-aims-to-get-back-into-top-three/1/151076.html?cp

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doing it on his own: Jayarams solo run to Olympics
    Sep 29, 2011

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/doin...ics-95550.html

Excerpts:

Hes come out of the blind side and taken Indian badminton by storm.

Ask people if theyve heard of Ajay Jayaram and most of them will go Who. But the 24-year-old, who hails from Chembur in Mumbai, has emerged from the crowd to battle Commonwealth Games bronze medallist P Kashyap for a chance to play in the mens singles competition of the 2012 London Olympics.

...But he was determined to make a mark even if that meant pulling himself out of the Prakash Padukone academy and travelling the world without any financial support or coach to gather valuable ranking points.

...When Ajay started this journey back in 2008, it raised eyebrows for even his coaches, who couldnt grasp the logic behind spending all the earnings from domestic tournaments and Indian Oil scholarships in travelling and playing abroad.

...Ajay was then hovering beyond the 150 mark in the world ranking and many coaches felt that he lacked the confidence to win big matches and hence, should work on that instead of playing too many tournaments.

However, Ajay had different designs and his parents went all out to support him in his endeavour. He used to describe that expenditure as a long-term investment and to his credit, the investment is beginning to pay off.

Ajay began the year 2010 ranked 77 and was not even in the scheme of things of the national selection panel for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. That meant that Ajay had to once again fend for himself after a brief hiatus in 2009 and the decision to shift to Portugal changed the direction of his career.

Ajay joined Tom John, the then national coach of Portugal national team, and got a contract with French Club Lagardere Paris Racing, that took care of his expenses to stay and travel in Europe.

The move paid off as he won the Czech Open and the Smiling Fish international in Indonesia and made it to the Dutch Grand Prix final by beating the then world number 15 Mark Zwiebler of Germany. By the year end, he had climbed 42 places to finish at 35.

Ajay hasnt looked back since then and Olympic Gold Quests decision to support him has come as a shot in the arm for the world championship pre-quarterfinalist.

Tom John has added a new dimension to his game, aggression, and it is now clear why the shuttler left the Padukone Academy and shifted to Lucknow after the India-born Englishman joined the Uttar Pradesh Badminton Associations academy as head coach.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A huge test for Ajay

The Denmark Open is going to be a huge challenge for Ajay. If he is really up to it, he will have laid down a marker for all other Indian MS players to pass. Also, he will put himslef in prime position to claim the spot for the OG 2012. Here's why...

The other IND player at the Denmark Open is P. Kashyap. Sadly, Kashyap is drawn against LCW in round 1, and it is safe to assume that Kashyap will not progress beyond round 1 (although strange things happen in games! )

On the other hand the first-round match between Ajay and Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia will see plenty of fireworks, and in all likelihood, the one with better mental power will go through. These 2 have never faced each other before. Tommy is a powerful player, and likes to attack if given the chance. Ajay likes to attack as well, but can mix it with some devious play. Physical fitness may play a big part in deciding the winner, as well.

If Ajay manages to upset the 18th-ranked Tommy, he will in all likelihood, but up against 6th seed Chen Jin of China. They have met before on 2 occasions, and CJ won through both times, but in 3 games. Depending on Ajay's physical condition, he may be able to extend CJ again. IF CJ is having a bad day at the office, Ajay could possibly even upset him.

This tournament will be a big marker in the evolution of Ajay, IMO. It will be worth following his progress here. He has the potential to be top-10 material within the next 12 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    A huge test for Ajay

The Denmark Open is going to be a huge challenge for Ajay. If he is really up to it, he will have laid down a marker for all other Indian MS players to pass. Also, he will put himslef in prime position to claim the spot for the OG 2012. Here's why...

The other IND player at the Denmark Open is P. Kashyap. Sadly, Kashyap is drawn against LCW in round 1, and it is safe to assume that Kashyap will not progress beyond round 1 (although strange things happen in games! )

On the other hand the first-round match between Ajay and Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia will see plenty of fireworks, and in all likelihood, the one with better mental power will go through. These 2 have never faced each other before. Tommy is a powerful player, and likes to attack if given the chance. Ajay likes to attack as well, but can mix it with some devious play. Physical fitness may play a big part in deciding the winner, as well.

If Ajay manages to upset the 18th-ranked Tommy, he will in all likelihood, but up against 6th seed Chen Jin of China. They have met before on 2 occasions, and CJ won through both times, but in 3 games. Depending on Ajay's physical condition, he may be able to extend CJ again. IF CJ is having a bad day at the office, Ajay could possibly even upset him.

This tournament will be a big marker in the evolution of Ajay, IMO. It will be worth following his progress here. He has the potential to be top-10 material within the next 12 months.
    My bet is on Ajay to beat TS.
    TS lost to Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka in straight games 16-21, 17-21 in the 2011 Bankaltim IndonesiaGrand Prix Gold even though he was expected to win easily.
    If Ajay could stretch CJ again, he could pull an upset.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skchen View Post
    My bet is on Ajay to beat TS.
    TS lost to Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka in straight games 16-21, 17-21 in the 2011 Bankaltim IndonesiaGrand Prix Gold even though he was expected to win easily.
    If Ajay could stretch CJ again, he could pull an upset.
    Before the DO, Ajay is also playing in the Dutch Open, and will start his matches tomorrow. He is seeded #2, and Boonsak is the top seed at this tournament. If Ajay plas sensibly and doesn't press the self-destruct button anythime, he should be able to make it to the finals. Will he win? Hard to say! Boonsak is one of the guys who has been on the circuit for a long, long time and if there is one thing that Ajay can learn from him, it is how to consistently play to one's potential.

It might turn out to be a valuable lesson for Ajay.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just read this:

Ajay Jayaram eyes Dutch Open title
    Suhas Nayse, TNN | Oct 11, 2011

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/10308812.cms

Excerpts:

The withdrawal of top seed Boonsak Ponsana at the last moment has certainly boosted Ajay's title-winning chances. The world No. 10 of Thailand has pulled out because of back injury.

Ajay had done well in the last year's Dutch Open when he finished runner-up in the men's singles after losing a close final against Sho Sasaki of Japan. However, this time around, Ajay is confident of completing the unfinished job of last year.

"Defeat in the final in 2010 is a thing of the past for me. I am playing well this season and hoping to do even better this year. The draw is good for me. There are certain very good players but I back myself to go the distance," Ajay told TOI on Monday.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast