User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay cruised into the quarter-finals, where he was ambushed by local hero Eric Pang in an nail-biting 3-setter. He will be disappointed he did not go the distance, as he had hoped he would!

Here's an excerpt of the report from the Badminton Europe website...
    http://www.badmintoneurope.com/news_item.aspx?id=54530

Excerpt:

The biggest cheer of the day came for home favourite Eric Pang (pictured) as the Dutch number 1 advanced to the semi final in an epic three set encounter over Ajay Jayaram of India. Pang looked to be cruising after taking the first set 21-11 and leading 6-0 in the second it looked to be routine for the smiling Dutchman. But back came the Indian to take the second 24-22 to send the tie into a deciding rubber. The events that unfolded next had the crowd on the edge of their seats. Pang controlled much of the opening exchanges but yet again Jayaram fought back and to a large sigh from the crowd held one match point at 22-21.

The next few rallies had everything with both players diving all over court to retrieve shuttle after shuttle. Pang, backed by the cheers of his home fans took the next three points to take the match and a normally reserved Dutchman threw his hands in the air with the relief.

“Today was amazing. I was playing so well but he kept fighting back. He has beaten me a few times in the past and I wanted to change that today in front of my home friends, fans and family. The last few rallies were really difficult but I just kept going and going and now I am in the semi final in my home Grand Prix. It is an amazing feeling” said Pang to Badminton Europe.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay is up against Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia, in round 1 of the upcoming Denmark Open. Both are "firebrand" players, and pretty evenly matched when they are both on top of their game. It all comes down to who wakes up fresh and early on the morning!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...and Ajay came out second best in this encounter!

What was surprising was the relative ease with which Tommy outclassed Ajay, 21-11, 21-16, a kinda meek capitulation by the standards we would have come to expect of the Indian.

Wonder how much this will affect his chances of being the top IND qualifier for the OG....
    Last edited by cobalt; 10-19-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

French Open Super Series: Chen Jin thrashes Ajay Jayaram in the Mens Singles round-of-16
    http://blogs.bettor.com/French-Open-...-of-16-a107281

Excerpt:

The start of the first set of this pre-quarter-final contest was interesting when both shuttlers remained neck-to-neck in the first few rallies. They played aggressive and positive badminton and progressed equally in the game with the same pace.

The Indian showed that he is getting closer to the Chinese shuttler as he has improved his skills. Until the break, no one could take a comfortable lead.

After the break, the Chinese tried to accelerate his speed but the Indian was also playing at the similar level. Both shuttlers remained tight in the second half of the game until the concluding points. Jin changed his tactics and executed a few superb drives and managed to win the game with a close margin of 21-19.

In the second game, the Indian became a little slow and started to make commit unforced errors. He was missing the lines and throwing the bird out of the court. Meanwhile, the Chinese remained calm and composed and continued his winning run in the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched his game for the first time yesterday. My impression is that he's an Indian version of Pablo Abian of Spain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post
    I don't think so. Most of the top Indian players stay and play/practise abroad. But they don't continue to play under Indian flag. This is strange but accepted among Indian fans simply because they know that our sporting infrastructure is pathetic and they may not get good training/practise partner here.
    Vishwanathan Anand (Chess) lives in Spain, Leander Paes/Mahesh Bhupati/Rohan Bopanna (all tennis doubles) stay in US, Gagan Narang/Abhinav Bindra (shooting) live in Germany and so on...
    You're right, but it's very sad. India is a fast growing economy and can surely afford to support sportsmen from corporate backing. (might not have been so easy 10 years ago)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay Jayaram has a current BWF ranking of 27, the highest ranked MS player from India at present. He's had a bit of an inconsistent passage the past few months, and needs to quickly improve his focus and consistency. Not to mention getting his physical conditioning into top gear.

He's got a pretty good chance of showing his A-game at the Australian Open this week, and has an even chance of getting to the semi-finals stage. If he gets there (at the expense of Simon Santoso) he will be probably meeting with top-seeded Chen Jin. These 2 players - AJ and CJ have waged some interesting battles in the past, and Ajay should have had enough experience playing CJ to know what is required to beat him.

Let's see what he and his coach Tom John are able to serve up this week. It will be a pointer to his chances later on at the India Open against much tougher opposition, and then at the OG.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jayaram looks to nail Olympic berth
    Bangalore, April 13 2012, DHNS

Excerpts:

...Ajay, who has a world ranking of 27, will be competing in the Asian championship in Qingdao (China) from April 17-22 and India Open Superseries in New Delhi, scheduled to be played from April 24-29 at the Siri Fort Complex. Ajay will meet Chinese Taipeis world no 35 Hsu Jen Hao in the first round at the Asian meet while he faces a stiff first-round challenge from world No 20 Rajiv Ouseph of England in the Indian Open.

Yes, next two weeks are very much important for me. I am feeling a bit of pressure but I think thats always good, said Ajay, who is training under noted badminton coach Tom John for the last two years.

...Ajay, who has been training in Lucknow, shifted his base along with Tom this month to the Koramangala Club here. Apart from Ajay, Anup Sridhar, Jacqueline Rose Kunnath, Prakash Jolly have started training at the Koramangala Club while Aditi Mutatkar and five more top shuttlers will be joining them soon.

We will be starting an academy soon here, said Thomas Kunnath, the chairman of the yet-to-be-named academy.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay Jayaram gears up for India Open
    April 24 01:29:14, 2012

New Delhi

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/a...India-Open.htm

He has more or less qualified for the London Olympics but top India shuttler Ajay Jayaram says he doesn't want to count his chickens before they hatch and would go full throttle in the India Open Super Series, starting at the Siri Fort complex on Tuesday.

Jayaram reached the second round of the Asian Badminton Championship last week in Qingdao, China and is the favourite to join Saina Nehwal in the Indian contingent unless P Kashyap comes up with a stupendous performance at the India Open.

"I played well at the ABC. In the second game against Nan Wei, I used my strokes well but in the third game I slipped. Now I am looking forward to doing well here," Jayaram said.

Asked about the Olympic qualification, Jayaram said: "I'm not thinking much ahead. The Olympic qualification is not confirmed yet. Kashyap has to reach at least two rounds more than me and I am trying to put all that at the back of my mind and give my 100 per cent and take one match at a time."

Jayaram and Kashyap are separated by three spots in the world rankings and according to the qualification rules for the London Olympics, whoever is higher in the ranking list of May 3 will qualify for the quadrennial event.

The race for the Olympic berth between Jayaram and Kashyap was going neck-and-neck till last week's ABC in which the former reached the second round while the latter was ousted in the first round.

The world number 27 Jayaram feels he has to be more patient on the court and not be too aggressive.

"For past one year, I have worked on my aggression and speed and it is showing results but I have not got time to train because of the hectic schedule. I have to be more patient on court as I tend to do too much to get a point and I guess I have to maintain the pressure rather than getting too aggressive," he said.

Jayaram said if he is qualifies for the Olympics, he would have the time to work on his overall game.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Poor Ajay! He must be wondering what it would take to not meet LCW in the early rounds of a tournament! It seems every time he gets to round 2 or the quarters, there is Chong Wei, waiting to greet him on court!

Ajay made a meal of his first-round match with Sourabh Verma, but prevailed eventually in 3 games. Now for another lesson from LCW in speed, injection of pace, control and mental discipline. Would it be too much to expect him to take a game off the WR #1?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

`Disappointed but not shattered`

Sharda Wadhwa
    Date of Publishing: 2012-05-18

http://cityplus.jagran.com/city-news...337336617.html

25-year-old badminton player Ajay Jayaram, who missed out on the mens singles berth for Olympics, says he will soon jump back on the international circuit. He tells us that the recent loss at the Indian Open Super Series hasnt affected his game

Despite coming so close to Olympic qualification, Mumbai badminton player Ajay Jayaram is not losing his focus of climbing the ladder. His target is to get into the top 15 ranking of the Badminton World Federation (BWF). Jayaram speaks to Cityplus about how he plans to keep himself going for this season, and other future ambitions.

Missed the London bus
    I was disappointed that I lost an assured chance of qualifying for London Olympics this year. I lost in the second round to world no 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia 21-16, 15-21, 21-5.

I had worked hard for the entire year and the loss against Chong halted all my dreams to play in London Olympics. But, life does not stop here I have to do well to be reckoned at international circuit.

Like any other sportsmen, I also have to deal with these defeats and look to perform better whenever given a chance.

Now, my plan is to work harder for the Singapore Super Series tournament next month. Now that I have not qualified for London Olympics, I can concentrate on breaking into the top 15 world ranking, by the end of this year.

Best wishes for Kashyap
    Meanwhile, another Indian shuttler Parupalli Kashyap qualified for Olympics after getting a walk over in the quarterfinals against Chen Jin of China, at the same Indian Open Super Series, where Jayaram faltered.

It is nice that if not me then my friend Kashyap qualified for Olympics. I will cheer for him; hope he does well at the London Olympics. He is a great player and am sure he will not leave any stone unturned to leave a mark in London.

Consistency to be tapped
    The loss to world no 1 at the recently concluded Indian Open Super Series in Delhi has made me realise that I need to bring stability in my game.

There are two ways one can take the defeat, and I want to take it in a positive manner. While playing to Wei, I came back in the game but could not hold on that good a form throughout the match. So I need to work harder on that aspect to get into the top 15.

Tom a great teacher
    The man behind my success is English coach Tom John. After a small break I will go to Bangalore to train under him for his future tournaments.

Earlier, I would train in Lucknow with Tom, but now he has moved to Bangalore. After this small break, I will get on court with Tom for rigorous training.

Tom plans my training session perfectly. He spreads the training session into three sessions.

Each session is extremely intense and quiet tough, which keeps me going and taking on world champions.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Worth a read!

I definitely think I could have won that semifinal against Hu Yun- Ajay Jayaram

Read more: http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/10/1...#ixzz29Rlocjbu

Excerpts:

Your most memorable match this year:It would have to be against Kenichi Tago in the first round of the China Masters. I played an almost error-free game and that win paved the way for me to reach the semifinals. I hit so many smashes in that match, I almost injured my abdomen!

The friendliest player on the international circuit:Derek Wong, Singapore.
    Your kind of music:I listen to rock, pop, Bollywood. My favourite singer is Shankar Mahadevan, and my favourite rock band is Nirvana.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cobalt bought his vacation tickets and is having a tour of 'indian forums' today. Enjoy your stay. Don't forget to eat 'papadam' also.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you, kind sir! The flavour this week is Indian spice and curry. Be warned, next week may be nasi, er.... lemak? goreng?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha yes, in fact you are needed more at home ground. Paging Mr Cobalt, your country needs your analysis.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ajay has not been living up to the expectations of his fans. For some reason known only to him, he appears to stop short of the point one expects him to arrive at.

At the French Opens this week, he has a decent chance to get to the semi-finals, if he plays to his full potential. Beyond that, who knows?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt
    ...he appears to stop short of the point one expects him to arrive at.
    Yeesh, you 're not being hard on the guy or anything, eh?

This isn't a school boy who refuses to finish his supper. This is a guy at the top level of a tough sport. The difference, on any given day, between two highly skilled players can be merely that of a centimetre of height; or a good night's sleep; or an extra dollop of confidence because your Christian grandmother approves of the new tattoo on your shoulder.

As the days of LCW and LD are numbered, it is fun to have a closer look at the "almost there"s of the Badminton World. They are now under scrutiny (at least under the gimlet eye of detective cobalt).
    Ajay's skills are definitely there. Hopefully he'll do well and be able to access them with confidence this week.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast