Gong Zhi Chao

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by John Latham, Mar 13, 2001.

1. John Latham

John Latham Guest

I had never seen this player before this year's All England Championships and never knew what the fuss was about. I'd seen Susi Susanti many times, and Bang Soo Hyun, and recently, Camilla Martin at several tournaments.

But I have to say, this player is truly amazing. She's small, she looks a like a child next to some of her 5' 8" and 5' 9" tall Chinese team-mates, but she's faster than all of them and has greater stamina. It's inspirational to watch her beat bigger and stronger opponents through sheer determination. I could see why so many young players want to emulate her. I had the good fortune to meet her after her semi-final win and she was very polite and curteous, even with limited English.

Which brings me to another topic. Camilla Martin is the most arrogant ladies player I've ever seen. If she is in a bad mood, she will be so rude to her opponents, it's embarassing to watch. She stays just within the bounds of the rules so as not to be penalised by the umpire, but otherwise, she intimidates her opponents with her behaviour. When she was losing to Zhou Mi in the quarter-finals of the All England, every time she hit the shuttle into the net, she would go to pick up the shuttle, and just barely touch it with her racquet, so that the shuttle moved just an inch or two towards the opponent's court. Zhou Mi to her credit, still continued to return the shuttle to Camilla when she had lost a point, but Camilla did not return the favour. When Camilla was down in the last set, she took drink breaks without looking to the umpire for permission, while at the same time, complaining if Zhou Mi asked for one. I've seen Camilla in other tournaments actually tell an opponent who was taking a drink break or towelling sweat off their arm to hurry up, or ask sarcastically, "Are you ready now?". This sort of behaviour does not help the cause of badminton, especially when it comes from Europe's top ladies singles player.

She has made numerous comments in the press about how in major tournaments, it is a contest between her and "the Chinese girls". She seems to think that it is some sort of team contest with her as a team of one against the five or six top ranked Chinese players. She implied that the Chinese players were not out for individual triumph but merely wanted to make sure that at least one Chinese player won the title. I'm sure the Chinese players do want to win for their country but also want personal glory just as much as Camilla herself. To imply otherwise, is to stereotype the Chinese players as automatons, and quite offensive to a neutral as it borders on being racist. Camilla Martin is a great player but she should act like a champion as well as playing like one.

2. Neutral

Neutral Guest

Give her a break. She's a pro, like soccer players,

she makes a living out of the game , it's not like in the

past !It's probably all play-acting.

3. AS

AS Guest

Well said, I couldn't agree with you more.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I actually find her quite entertaining. OK, she's not the John McEnroe of badminton, but she's well on the way... Say what you will, but she does come across as a colorful person. Alas, this is also highlights her biggest weakness: her psyche. It accounts for many of her losses.

And as to her Chinese paranoia: the Chinese have made no secret that they are training "Camilla killers", so I don't think she's totally wrong there...

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Camilla

Er... that last post was all about Camilla Martin, of course.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Camilla Killers.

well said John! i've noticed Camilla's behavior as well.

it get worse. once, she tried to petition other players to ban the Chinese, saying their dominance is setting back progress in badminton. she is just a sore loser whining about losing to others. that's very bad sportwomanship in my opinion.

i am happy so long as the Chinese keep beating her. remember, here is our "Camilla Killer" list:

1. Gong ZhiChao
    2. Zhou Mi

disclaimer: these are my personal opinion, of course, and not of Badminton Central's . :)

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Re: Camilla Killers.

Yes, it is bad sportsmanship, and yes, she is a sore loser, I agree. BUT: she's quite a profile, and I think that's good for badminton's popularity. Every sport needs bullies!

But mind you, some of the Chinese players can be pretty rude too. If I remember correctly, in the 1996 Olympics WD final, if Gu Jun hadn't been there to calm her partner down I am sure Ge Fei would have been in for a couple of warnings or worse...

(About that petition -- I had not heard about this before, but it sounds really grotesque... Are you sure it is true? I mean, how could you even think you would get away with something like that, let alone consider it good for the sport?)

8. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

I was there at NIA, when Zhou Mi's third round match finished, I noticed she came over and looked at Camilla's match on the other court. Camilla got a bit edgy when she lost her first game 12:13. Zhou Mi smiled and walked away to rest. As I expected she won the match next day against Camilla.

9. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Re: Camilla Killers.

I also heard about that petition - from the news on www.chinabadminton.com.

10. cb

cb Guest

Have you all noticed the general animosity
    between female players from different countries?

The most telling is after a match when the players
    shake hands. The women barely touch each others'
    hands. Are they afraid they're catch something contagious?

11. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    All of the other top-ranked players are professionals also, but no one else behaves as rudely as Camilla Martin, IMO. If your suggestion that she is play-acting is correct, then her motive would be to bother her opponent and gain an advantage. So far, I haven't seen anyone distracted by the rudeness, at least not obviously. In fact, Martin has been beaten by Gong Zhi Chao, Gong Ruina, Dai Yun, Zhou Mi, Ye Zhaoying (I think), and Susi Susanti (many times).

I think her behaviour has the biggest effect on herself and probably only increases her inner tension. Ironic, isn't it?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yes it does sound rude but that's what i have observed too. I think camilla is a spoiled brat because she is the current reigning ladies single player in denmark. I bet her coach know this tantrum hurts her chance of winning but able to do anything about it.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Aren't a lot of women like that anyway?

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Zhou Mi seems to have that cheerful personality.
    Before and after her match with Gong, she was still smiling.

Was Zhou smiling because of her nature or was she smiling because she had made Camilla nervous?

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Look like the current ladies singles play evolves into a form of 'cat fights'. Rarrrr...
    Meow.... This might put some flare back into badminton.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

correction:

spelling: should read " but unable" , not "but able". I'm was speed surfing while at work.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Criticism aside, i do enjoy watching CM play. Technically, she does have excellent footwork and stroke. I do believe her behavior is working against her. Gong consistently beats CM through hard work so CM should up her endurance and determination a bit more "if" i was her coach. If footwork and stroke techniques between the two at par, then CM longer arms and legs should win out in the end. However, CM must able to drag out long games with gong in order to win. It seems her tantrum takes away any positive energy and determination she has left.

cooler

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

If it was all act play acting, then why keep using this loosing strategy because it ain't working for her.

19. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Lot of interesting replies to this thread so here's my two rupiah worth:

1)Totally agree that CM's got no sportswomanship... I got so pissed reading the match report bwt her and Kim Ji Hyun in the Korean Open finals... what kind of stupid attitude is that? Peter Gade, on the other hand, is a most gracious player... maybe she ought to take some lessons from him.

2)Agree with Mag too that the Chinese are pretty open abt wanting to beat CM (I won't say it's wrong but personally, I dun like tt either). And it's also true that they want the title to remain in China, no matter through who. CM's got a pt there, perhaps it's just the way she said it......

3)Haven't heard abt the petition nonsense... it's a lame way to go but I must admit that it's never gd for a sport when one country/region dominates it continuously, whether it was Indonesia in the early 90s or China today. That's why I felt kinda good when Gopichand took the MS... all the way Gopi =)

4)Yes, Cheung... lots of women are "like that". I will get rotten eggs in my face for betraying my own species but I tend to think that men (badminton players or otherwise) tend to less petty... of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Cheers.

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Did you say "cat fight"?

What can I say? Well, how about this:

END SEXISM!