Coaching in between points

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by thejym, Jul 12, 2010.

1. thejym

thejym Regular Member

This past weekend, I was participating in a state tournament (California State Games). For one mixed doubles match, I was the pair's "coach." I talked to them before the beginning of the match, and also in between games. I know this is allowed.

However, during the game, right after a point ended, I shouted a few quick words to my team. I don't believe this delayed the game at all since there is usually a short period in between points in which the players can whisper a few words to each other or just get ready for the next rally. I was sitting two meters behind the court on my team's side, and right after I shouted those few words of advice, the woman beside me angrily yelled to me, "No coaching during the game!"

I've seen professional players walk to the back of their court after a rally is over, and sometimes they receive some sort of advice from their coach (whether verbal or simply with hand gestures, I cannot tell).

The laws of badminton state:
    16.5 Advice and leaving the court
    16.5.1 Only when the shuttle is not in play (Law 15), shall a player be permitted to receive advice during a match.
    16.5.2 No player shall leave the court during a match without the umpire’s permission, except during the intervals as described in Law 16.2.

Is the woman right? Or am I allowed to give coaching in between points so long as it does not delay the game and is not while the shuttle is in play? Furthermore, is a coach allowed to get out of his seat and talk to a player during the 11-point interval?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I know that coaching occours in major tournaments at the 11 point interval. But the tournament regulations are at the descretion of the head umpire, and if they decided no coaching at 11 points then it is not allowed.
    While the players are on court 'I THINK' the rules are that you can give advice to the players as long as the reason they are facing you is because they are walking back to their positions. Only quickphrases or key words. This is just from what I have seen at tournaments.

3. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

as you said, the laws of badminton do not prohibit coaching in between points. However, certain countries don't allow coaching during their own tournaments. Umpires and tournament organizers can also place restrictions on when coaching is or isn't allowed. If the woman who told you not to coach in between points wasn't an official or organizer, then she had no right to tell you that. In the future, you should keep a copy of the rules for when to coach with you at all times :D. Also, it helps to ask at the beginning of the tournament when coaching is allowed.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

In international play, you are allowed to coach when the shuttle hits the ground. In the middle of the rally is prohibited. But inbetween rallies you can talk as much as you want as long as you don't delay the game. If you talk during the rally, then a let should be called by the umpire. These are international rules and rules for USAB also. I am a certified USAB umpire and it was one of the 1st things that was written in my guide book.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Great, that's good to know guys. I suspected I was right but since I didn't have the Laws on me, I couldn't really argue with that woman.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Just do it.....;)

7. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    If its something that is universally accepted then i think its ok but in some sports it seems to be frowned upon. Like in Tennis players look to their coaches to check if they should challenge a call. Most people don't like this. Should it be the case that once you send them out onto the court then you leave it to them to win their match?

8. druss

druss Regular Member

In the case of tennis though there is a specific rule prohibiting coaching while the players are on the court.

9. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    True but it still happens though in this case its allowed but the umpire said its not. Maybe the rules should be more clear.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Just to clarify, there is a specific rule prohibiting coaching in tennis (even if some people purposely ignore it). For badminton there is no law prohibiting it but it's still under the discretion of the umpire and tournament ref to not allow it for that tournament if they wish to. The laws of badminton are the basic set of laws governing play, individual tournaments are always free to implement their own rules on top of those.

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

If it's international or USAB sanctioned, then those laws are to be used. Otherwise, yeah it's up to the individual tournaments.

12. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Thats fair enough but it being under the discretion of the umpire is daft really if its still in between points. If its allowed then its as simple as that. If it moves into time wasting then thats another rule that needs to be used at the time. But to simply say no coaching isn't correct.