Is this legal???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LazyBuddy, Feb 6, 2003.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... seems this place is good for me to ask some questions about the rules... This happened last night:

I was playing with this guy. One of my drop was a little bit higher than it suppose to be, then he did a net smash on me. His racket hit the shuttle, while still in contact (I think), the shuttle hit the net and rolled over. I know if the racket hit the net, it's a fault, but what about this case? Basically, the racket and the net "sandwich" the shuttle, but no direct contact.

He claimed it was ok, and I did not argue (even i consider it should be a fault, too) since I was not really sure. Plus, I was leading by such a lot, why not give him a break???

ok... ok... the last statement is my excuse for a bad drop attempt. :D

2. Jus_anothr_grl

Jus_anothr_grl Regular Member

student
    it's legal but the guy should've said sorry for politeness

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, he's a nice guy.

He did not just shout "i win", but gave me a big warm (to me that's twisted, :D ) proud smile, and say, "lucky shot"... Therefore, I assume that means he thought he got this point, and we did count this as his point thereafter.

So, u think that's a legal shot? ok... hmm....

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i'd think it was legal..but sometimes, i'd think that it'd be hard to tell whether the shuttle and the racket were touching each other which the shuttle is hitting the net...it could be mistaken that the racket DID touch teh net? but yeah..it's judgement..

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Not necessarily related to your question but I was told that your racquet hitting the net isn't a fault unless your racquet hit the net before the bird touched the ground.

Can anyone clarify that?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    legal.

if the shuttle is touching the net and the racket hits it, and the contact point is not over the net, it is legal. this is a very tough shot to hit, but i have seen pros use it to return tight net shots that rolls around the net cord. (one that came to mind is a shot by Susi Susanti on the 1996 WGPF). very very difficult shot to hit and requires lightning reflex, speed, and pin-point accurate shot execution.

however, your friend's shot is an interesting borderline case.

you did say that the contact point is not very close to the net. so the shot is possibly violating the carry rule:

13.6 if, in play, the shuttle:
    13.6.1 is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;

however, if the shuttle left the racket on contact and then hit the net and then the racket hit it again, as long as the stroke was one smooth stroke, it is considered legal!

so the legality of the particular shot you saw depends on whether it was a sling/carry.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Re: Is this legal???

yes. technically, the moment the birdie hits the ground, the rally is not "in play". and you and/or equipment are then allowed to touch the net.

however, if the birdie did not touch the ground before your racket touches the net, it is a fault.

8. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Are you implying that if I were to hit the bird before it has crossed onto my side of the court, that would be a fault? (as in I can't rech my racquet over the net to the other side.)

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Is this legal???

Agree. In my first post, my "racket hit net is fault" generally refer to "hit the net, and the shuttle is still in play". In case, like a powerful kill, the shuttle hit the ground, then racket hit the net due to momentum is not applied in this case.

Sorry for the confusion, and thnx for pointing it out.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Hmmm...

I say the contact was made several inches away from the net, but surely less than 1 ft. Well, might not be very accurate, since everything just happened too fast, and I was busy cursing myself for "lost of control" during my drop shot. :D

So, it's true, very well a borderline case. Really hard to tell now. Well, guess let him enjoy the accomplishment (since u said pros can make this kinda of shot) for now bah. :D

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. it would make sense. if that's not the case, then we will be allowed to invade our opponent's "air space".

to quote the laws of badminton:

It is a ‘fault’:

13.3 if, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker’s side of the net. (The striker may, however, follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke);

12. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

thx... that has happened a few times but no one called a fault so i wasnt sure

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Another interpretation of this could be:

LBs opponent played his shot several inches inside his own court.
    The shuttle left the racket and balanced on top of the net.
    The follow through of LBs opponents shot hit the shuttle i.e. a double hit
    But it would be a legal double hit if it was a single stroke

doh!...
    just noticed that Kwun already said this

Neil

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Yeah, sure some possibilities here, too.

Like I said, his racket made the contact kinda close to the net, and everything just happened very fast... Can't guarantee whether it's a "legal double hit" or a single "pro like" stoke... hehehehehe...

15. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    Yes, you guys are right, the racquet can't touch the net while shuttle is in play...
    and just from experience.... although the rules say your racquet can touch the net when the shuttle is not in play, it will count as a fault most of the time....
    for example.... in this tournament i played in before... i made a kill at the net, and i was 100% sure the bird hit the ground and then my racquet hit the net, but it was really close that i think i'm the only one there seeing it.... we have a empire for the game... and even he said its a fault for me for touching the net.... i tried to argue... but in the end i still lose the arguement... so my advice is.... DON"T TOUCH THE NET with your racquet....
    also the really tough net kill kwun was talking about, there is a way to practice it... if you play with feather birds, (just use some crappy birds here), stick the gap between the feather on the top of the net, so the base of the bird is pointing towards the ceiling, then jump towards the net and kill the shot, without touching the net of course.... if you practice this well enough... you just be able to kill any net shots no matter how close they are to the net.... since when you're practicing when the closest possible net shot.... of course timing is another thing when it coming to the real game... anyways....:D

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Errr... i see ur point.

However, I think my club manager will kick me out of club first, if I ever practice this kinda shot. I mean, at first, I will surely somehow hit the net in a very frequent ratio, and he must think that I am just messing around, and try to chop off the net soemthing. :D

Anyway, good suggestions.

17. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    oh really? thats too bad! maybe you can explain to him, at first you'll touch the net alot... and then you'll make every shot very easily....
    to bring it to another level...
    start from the center, go back and pretend a smash... and jump to the net for the kill... remember to use the "brush"shot