Simon Archer (flick service)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by AS, Mar 13, 2001.

1. AS

AS Guest

Can someone please tell me why Simon continuously uses the flick service and not the religiously taught rule about the short service. I'm not saying that it is bad flick service, from what I saw he has mastered the height and the length of the service, but surely after those incredible smashes from Michael Sogaard (who I thougth deserved to win in the finals) it should have prompted Simon to vary the service.
    I personally think that it is a phsycological thing, as in it gives you a bit more time for the next shot (sometimes).
    Then again it may have been a different result if he was playing with Jo Goode, the Danes did put a lot of pressure on poor Emms who i'm sure has learnt a great deal from this tournament. Nevertheless as they say: You have to be in it to win it.
    So better luck next time and well done for reaching the final stages yet again.

Any ideas please respond.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sogaard was incredibly aggressive on his return of the low serve. Notice that when Sogaard returns serve, he stands at the net and Olsen covers the back. Any half loose shot and Sogaard puts the shuttle away.

Simon I think has some problem with his knee so putting up a flick serve gives him a liitle more time to position himself.

It was always going to be difficult.

3. AS

AS Guest

Re: Cheung

Probably not the firs time you are being asked, but where are you from?