Badminton and Goalkeeping

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lee WW, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Lee WW

Lee WW Regular Member

Hi guys , just wondering , since badminton smashes are incredibly fast , wouldn't the top players be good goalkeepers ( soccer ) since the ball is slower, plus badminton players are used to diving.

2. Vicky Chips

Vicky Chips Regular Member

Goalkeepers have to deal with spins put on the ball, while smashes usually don't have complicated spins

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

For me, I have an easier time putting a racket (extension of my arm) in the way of a flying shuttle, than to throw my body in front of a speeding soccer ball. Mentally I don't think I could be a goalkeeper, at least not at first.

Also shouldn't goalkeepers have long limbs? I would expect that the taller ones would have an advantage.

4. Lee WW

Lee WW Regular Member

Thanks for the reply guys :)

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I used to play football (soccer) and when I did I used to play as a goalkeeper, I used to be quite good, but I gave it up to concentrate on badminton. I find that I have very good reactions, which I think may have came from my goalkeeping, so I would say goalkeeping can help, in you reactions, and also I suppose it explains why when playing badminton, I can dive and get up very quickly.

6. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Soccer goalkeeping doesn't require a reaction time nearly as fast as Ice Hockey goalkeeping

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It's different. Hockey goalies have amazing hand and feet reflexes but soccer (football) goalies can push their whole body 6-10 feet to make a save.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think that very different. Hockey goalkeeper can easily grab the puck with 1 hand, or use stick to have and have tones of gears to protect himself. Also, the net is much smaller, which does not require running from side to side, or jump to protect the top post. Soccer goals usually need two hands to catch / control the ball, and may need to think twice try to use un-protected body parts (i.e. head, chest) to make a save, if out of position.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Soccer goalie also have to deal with shots of all heights (from the ground to the top corners, sometimes bouncing or skidding off slick surfaces and from a variety of distances. Then there are penalty kicks... Life's not easy for a soccer goalie (I know since I'm really crap at it :p:p)

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I wouldn't say that it is "easy" to grab a speeding puck.
    Picture a 100mph slap shot coming at you. Now put two guys in front of you to block your view. Finally, both of those guys are trying to "tip" the shot to redirect it at the last millisecond.

As a former hockey goalie who has been struck in the neck, the knee, the inner thigh and the "innner-er" thigh ( if you know what I mean:() I can tell you a hockey goalie's life isn't much easier.
    But it does teach you not to flinch at the sight of a badminton bird coming at you.:cool:

11. maxwell19bd

maxwell19bd New Member

i am a goalkeeper (football and futsal). In futsal, a goalie needs to have a very good reflexes as fast ball are more dominant than in football. Before every football/futsal game start on weekend, i exercise badminton in midweek to train on my reflexes and it really helps me a lot.
    And also the other way around, as a goalie you will always be stretched out to cover your post. This movement helps me a lot to train my body reaching out shuttles in badminton.
    That's why i am now an enthusiast of this two sport genres.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My bad. I did not mean it's "easy", but should use "possible".

13. event

event Regular Member

I think hockey is the better comparison because of the similarity between holding a stick and holding a racquet. Also, the most similar motion would be when something comes waist height or lower and in football, this would entail either a dive or a crouching catch or sticking a leg out, only one motion among which would be similar to badminton. hockey, on the other hand, would involve a movement of the stick hand almost every time, even if accompanied by movement of leg pads and off-hand glove. Holding a goalie stick is very similar to preparing to receive a low backhand.

I remember in high school, I was playing with a guy who played goalie in hockey and I was determined to put a smash past him but could not. He had absolutely no badminton experience while I had been playing for a few years. It was a terrible blow to my teenaged, male ego. :(

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It sure helps in reflexes. One of my student is a giant and also a goalkeeper. ;)