new badminton facility in flushing queens

Discussion in 'USA East' started by shreky, Jul 16, 2010.

1. shreky

shreky Regular Member

i heard it opened today .... any links/pictures? how much is the drop-in fee?

2. shreky

shreky Regular Member

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I've paid two visits already, and I think the major improvement for this facility over most "school gym converted court" is the floor. Personally, I think the flooring was great with enough cushion, which makes my injury prone knees feel a bit more relaxed after each session. However, it may take me a bit longer to adjust to the new lighting, as the "side" lighting is definitely very different than most of school's "centered" lights.

I believe right now (until 8/21) is the pre-opening period, which means there are still minor things under construction. Today, they charge $12 per walk in, but i think the walk in price will be a bit more after grand opening. I believe there are various membership being offered which provide decent discount per session, but I do not know the details yet.

As it's just opened, the crowd highly depends on which group showing up. Sometimes, there are very few ppl during certain period, but today (sunday afteroon), there are about 30~40 players showed up presenting different levels, therefore, a good 4 hour session with tons of quality games for me.

Overall, pretty nice facility of 6 courts with decent floor and other supporting facility (i.e. shower room, change room, rest room, children's room, pro-shop, etc).

#3 LazyBuddy, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  4. ndavies

ndavies New Member

Early mornings and weekends: Badminton Junkie. Eve
    agh! Look how close it is to the wall at the back of the court!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes and no. Yes, it's a bit closer than my like. No, the actual space is definitely much wider than the picture (angle?) shows. ;)

6. ozzyii

ozzyii New Member

how does it compare to the college point facility?

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I never went to CP before, so I can not make a comparison at the moment. During the pre-opening period, NYBC is not crowded (around 30+ players each sunday I went), so you can definitely get enough games for sure.