Donnay

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 18, 2010.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In celebration of its 100 year anniversary, Donnay debuts an exciting new product line-up called the X-Series™, powered by a revolutionary new technology, known as XēneCore™ (patent pending). The unique properties of XēneCore™ create a solid frame achieving the highest strength to weight ratio in the industry resulting in X-treme power, X-treme control, and X-treme feel. At 1.5 gigapascals, the XēneCore™ racquets possess 50% more tensile strength than current graphite racquets, allowing for the thinnest beam width on the market at 15mm. The X-tremetorsional rigidity and stability advance the playing characteristics above and beyond what’s available with current graphite composite racquets providing the established player a lighter racquet for control and feel, possessing the power of a heavier model, while reducing shock and vibration.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What is XēneCore™ [zeen-core]?

A patented technology, XēneCore™ is a composite solid that has 50% more tensile strength of graphite, attaining the highest strength to weight ratio in the industry. This allows for the thinnest beam width in the industry at 15mm.

X-treme power, X-treme control, and X-treme feel

Tensile strength comparison:

Wood racquets - 300 megapascals (300N/cm2)
    Graphite / graphite composite racquets manufactured from 1975-2010 - 1000 megapascals (1000N/cm2)
    XēneCore™ racquets - 1.5 gigapascals (1500N/cms2)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © 2010 Donnay Ltd. | Site created and maintained by GlobalTech East Inc. Pro/Dealer Login | Customer Service | Legal Terms

#1 RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. RSLvictorSOTX

What’s Old Is New By Bill Gray July 07, 2010 [​IMG] [​IMG]Bjorn Borg won five consecutive Wimbledons and four straight French Opens with his Donnay racquets. (Getty Images)

Bjorn Borg’s trusty Donnay racquets get a revival.

Starting today there’s a new player with an old name in the tennis marketplace. Donnay, that old-school racquet-maker whose name conjures images of wood racquets and Bjorn Borg, who won five consecutive Wimbledon titles and four straight French Opens with the brand, is back.

Donnay USA, headed by brothers Bobby and Jerry Choe in New York, is launching a line of nine new frames in the U.S. The racquets will eventually go global under a licensing agreement with Sports Direct International, a giant U.K. retailer that owns the worldwide rights to the legendary brand.

Emile Donnay and his family started making wood tool handles in 1910 in their Belgian homeland and began producing wood tennis racquets in 1934. Rod Laver briefly carried one, but it was Borg who put Donnay on the tennis map, making it one of the world’s leading racquet producers. At its height, the company was churning out up to 10,000 racquets a day. Borg’s signature racquets, the Allwood, which was his trademark racquet until 1980, and then the Borg Pro, became a part of tennis lore. It was said that he strung them so tightly—around 80 pounds—that the strings would break while he slept. Borg was reportedly paid $600,000 a year plus a commission on each Borg model sold (though he used Bancroft racquets for tournaments in the United States under a separate endorsement deal).

But Borg’s surprise retirement at the age of 27 in 1983, along with the company’s reluctance to replace wood with lighter graphite, caused the company to go bankrupt in 1988. But its cache and fiercely loyal following allowed the brand to outlive the product.

Since Donnay SA folded, it has changed hands a lot. One of the many incarnations of the company signed Andre Agassi to play with a new-generation Donnay graphite racquet, the Donnay Pro One OS, early in his career. In 1996, Sports Direct International acquired the worldwide rights to Donnay, and later Dunlop and Slazenger as well. But instead of taking advantage of Donnay’s rich high-end legacy, Sports Direct repositioned the brand with a $99 entry-level frame that it sold briefly in the U.S. in 2004. The low-cost strategy backfired and angered Donnay loyalists who flooded tennis chat boards in protest.

[​IMG]Now Donnay is being resuscitated again. “My brother and I grew up on Long Island playing tennis with the old [Donnay] Allwood racquet,” says Bobby Choe, who acts as CEO, while his brother heads up the design and manufacturing of the racquets. “Our initial research showed that 40 percent of those on the chat boards were still loyal to the brand even though they felt it had been cheapened.”

The brothers set out to develop a new line of Donnay premium racquets (including the X-Red at right), along with a limited-edition racquet produced by Sports Direct to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the original Belgian company. Belgian player and 2009 U.S. Open semifinalist Yanina Wickmayer is currently using it on the WTA tour.

The new Donnay frames list for $249–$299. “Our consumer target is the top 20 percent of the market that is willing to spend whatever it takes to get the best product, just like the first adaptors of the Apple iPad,” says Choe, explaining the pricing strategy. “We’d like to sell 10,000 racquets this year, but we don’t need to,” Choe says. “Our plan is to grow the business in the long term, pro shop by pro shop.”

Donnay has distinguished itself with ultra-thin 15-millimeter beams that Choe says improves maneuverability for users. The Donnay models also come with three interchangeable butt cap options and bumper guards in different weights so players can experiment with weights and balances.

Currently, the Donnay frames can only be purchased on the company’s website. In lieu of playtest samples at pro shops, Choe says buyers will be provided with a seven-day test-drive guarantee, minus shipping costs and a $25 stringing fee.

The biggest missing link so far is participation by Borg, who this year began playing in senior tournaments using a Head racquet. Choe doubts Borg is aware of the Donnay revival, and an attempt to reach Borg’s agent by TENNIS.com was unsuccessful.

“We look forward to meeting with him within the next few months,” Choe says, “but our greatest challenge now is to educate a generation of players who have never heard of him or Donnay.

3. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Holy Cow ....
    And i thought this brand is long DEAD .......
    I used to love their shoes and rackets .......
    hahahahahaha guess u know which era i am from hahahahaaha

4. RSLvictorSOTX

I never have worn or played with his (Bjorn's) gears...but was tempted to buy a vintage Donnay wooden racket (Made in Belgium, guess all of it were Belgian made) in mint condition for collection. My dad used to talked how good Bjorn was and how sudden and prematurely he have retired in his mid 20s.

I hope Donnay comes out with more variations to their present racket galore, which isn't many at all. Well, certainly they'll build on that if they do well;).

5. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Well, Borg retired at a young age of 25 or 26 if i am not mistaken, after collecting 11GS. His early departure is a BIG topic of discussion during that time, including extreme cases of saying he retired because he knows he can't beat the up and coming of Jimmy Connors and Mc Enroe hahahahaha.
    But seriously is Donnay still around? Like i said before, i thought it is long time dead, as it is practically out of sight in this part of my world where i stay. Just like Sergio Tachini, another nice brand i like, i know it is still there ...but over here in Malaysia it is almost wiped out. Another one is LA Gears , though not a tennis equipment brand. ;) Those were the days ....

6. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Well, Borg retired at a young age of 25 or 26 if i am not mistaken, after collecting 11GS. His early departure is a BIG topic of discussion during that time, including extreme cases of saying he retired because he knows he can't beat the up and coming of Jimmy Connors and Mc Enroe hahahahaha.
    But seriously is Donnay still around? Like i said before, i thought it is long time dead, as it is practically out of sight in this part of my world where i stay. Just like Sergio Tachini, another nice brand i like, i know it is still there ...but over here in Malaysia it is almost wiped out. Another one is LA Gears , though not a tennis equipment brand. ;) Those were the days ....

7. RSLvictorSOTX

Off-topic, I was thinking Rafa would retire at about the same age with around 11 or 12 GSes!

On-topic, no, haven't seen any Donnays except for brand new or in very good condition consignments! Sergio Tachini? ST is still pretty much around, in the apparels department only, very much in competition with Fila. Don't know if they have rackets in the offering today. LA Gear, AND1, PHAT Farm sort of lurking from behind the scenes but not quite as it was in their day.

Well, even addidas made a comeback in the rackets department just last year. What I am intrigue the most is the racket made by YAMAHA:cool:! I think their marketing mentions YAMAHA rackets are TUNEd for best performance:cool:, taking a big page from their music heritage:cool:!

How about organized tournaments using wooden rackets only? Maybe the 4 GSes should offer side- tourneys played with wooden rackets? So that I can see how fast will Andy Roddick's serve be using a wooden racket;)? Perhaps, see Rafa, Federer, Djok & Murray struggle with it;);)?

#7 RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Well, i wasn't thinking but Hoping it is true :D :D :D But do not want to mention it lest i was attacked by Rafarians lurking around :p
    If Andy Roddick were to serve with a wooden racket, the racket will break into two the moment he hit the ball and then the racket wack his own groin :p :p :p
    Rafa's monstrous whipping groundstroke will be reduced to nothing but a normal spin and the likes of Murray, Djoker will struggle with the wooden racket as well. As for Roger, his stroke making and his wicked unreadable serve will be gone with the wooden racket. Borg can made a comeback and continue to collect another 11 GS to make it all time greatest 22!
    :D :D :D Boy i sure hope this can happen. hahahaahahah

9. mkp123

mkp123 New Member

[FONT=&quot]I am really happy to note that Donnay has introduced the “X-Series” to commemorate their 100th birth anniversary. I have very sweet memories of Donnay. I got my first Donnay racquet as a birthday gift from my father. I got it when I was 14 years old. That night I could not even sleep. The whole night I was examining the racquet. In the morning I rushed out of my house and showed it to my friends who were really impressed.[/FONT]

10. RSLvictorSOTX

There's much work to be done for Donnay to repossess it's once mighty and glorious past! I hope they come up eventually with more different and varied series but then they will surely pace themselves and not hurry.