Females.....where are you?!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Joanne, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Why is it so few females play badminton?! And I don't see many females in this forum either....

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Yeah, I agree with you...i dont see much females in this forum. Nor at open gyms in my area. I also wish there were some females that are in my area and that post on these forums.

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    lots of girls play badminton.. i don't think girls use computers as much as guys.

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Lots of girls are interested in badminton. In my school a crap load of girls showed up for the try outs. The vast majority of them don't bother visiting badminton forums or even bother to know they exist.

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Aside from from BF, there is no other forum whith more than a 10 post a day average. I only found BF accidentally while searching for racquet reviews... I wonder if any here was searching for a badminton forum specifically before finding BF? Or merely accidentally

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

i came across badminton central, but really notice the link to badminton forum until i came back a couple months later.

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I went to google.com and typed in badminton forum :)

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

But what I mean is, females do play badminton, but few bother to go for training and all that. There are 3 girls in my training and about 13 boys! And I was looking for a badminton forum, so I typed www.badmintonforum.com and this forum appeared! lol. I was soo happy. :)

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    not necessarily, lots of girls around my area train, and they can all annihilate me.
    but then again i'm only around average.

i was looking for a new racquet and i stumbled across this site using google i think.

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Where I play, only 15-20% of the people who come to play on a given day are girls, and most of them were dragged there by their guys (you can tell by thier enthusiasm... of not actually moving to get the bird) On our badminton club social outings, it's about 50% and 50% split. I'm guessing from the photos of course since I never go:eek:.

Anyways, it seems like many of us found BF through BC. I think its ironic that even though BF gets more hits, it's BC that does the "recruiting" for the forum.

11. AzNbOi2747

AzNbOi2747 Regular Member

Student
    well if you live in the san gabriel area you can go to sgvbc, theres plenty of girls thats good there
    there and theres also a women trainer... shes an A player... i believe her name was
    Janis and shes pretty nice:)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Females.....where are you?!

:( Ahhhh.... No wonder ppl used to say I play like "girls"... hmmm... Lucky, getting much better now.

I found BC/BF through one of my clubs' website. I registered long time before I actually submitted my 1st post, and became relatively active thereafter.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The ratio between guys and girls could be great varied via different clubs.

I agree that most of general clubs the ratio are 2:1 (M vs F) or higher. Also, the most actived members are most likely guys only. However, if a girl happened to be an active one, she generally among the one of the bests, and kick our butt easily. So, I say, for female members, they tend to be on two extreme ends, either just socail players (majority), or top candidates (very few, but extremely competitive).

However, there's a high school I usually played in during summer times. It happened to be a girls school team, and besides me and the coach, everyone else was female. So, in this case, we were surely being greatly out numbered (like 2 vs 20), general rule not applied. :eek:

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For years, our club was not able to attract enough ladies to participate in our annual in-house tournaments. It is already difficult to get the women folk to come for social club evenings. I guess, the interest must start from young and the will to continue into adulthood. Now that more girls are exposed and taken to the game, hopefully things will improve. The emphasis on healthy living, including the taking up of a lifetime sport, should spur more ladies into the game. However, the tendency is that when a woman becomes a young mother, she seems to forget about her badminton and tend to channel much of her time and energies towards the child. Hopefully, she will pay equal attention to her health and continue to enjoy happy baddy.

15. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Hmm......but why do females take so little interest at the place I am? Is it because it's not a very sociable game, as in team games?

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hate to say that, but female generally won't participate in sports as much as males... It happened in almost every sport, not only baddy...

17. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

I guess that is true........too bad. :(

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You know, it is not easy for someone to stick to the same game from young to old, like me! You need to like the game in the first place, believe that it can bring you joy, fun and keep you in good health and away from mischieve, and you must have the discipline and commitment to continue playing the game. Unfortunately, nowadays there are so many distractions facing the young person, chief of which is the internet (not that this is entirely bad, otherwise I would not be able to get in touch with you now!), particularly electronic games and these competing options make it very difficult for him/her to stick to one choice for life! Even though you may have decided on taking up a game for life, you must expect unforeseen changes like your badminton group may experience a strinkage with players dropping-out for various reasons and new faces join the group. Or the venue is not available anymore or you have moved, therefore you must be flexible to accept change. This BF Forum is much welcome as it helps us to sustain our interest in our feathered game and enlarge our circle of internet friends with a common interest. A change which one cannot foresee in years past.

19. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I'm sure this upset you greatly ;)

20. Yap

Yap Regular Member

Student
    Y so few females are into badminton?
    i think its because it makes them sweat n smell like a rotten fish..........which would then ruin their pretty image
    but then,hey....i am a guy.........it would be fairer to ask the girls themselves
    :D