PEAK before a tournament....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by keith.roche, Jul 19, 2010.

1. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

I have no idea if this has been discussed ever before, but I did not find anything related to this anyway.

So here it goes,...

I have a tournament coming up in another 10 days. ( MENS SINGLES )
    I usually have trouble getting to my peak at tournaments. And this upcoming tournament is really important, because its not Juniors anymore. I'm just above 19 now and I'm participating at a Seniors Event, just because of the mentioned reason. :D
    I know that I can barely scratch anyone at seniors, so putting up my best is very important to me.
    I just wish to know, what preparations do you guys do to put up your best performance at the event.

And just about 5 - 10 minutes before a match ( in a tournament ), my FOCUS needs MORE FOCUS :D LOL ! Because, most of the time I end up getting tensed about the outcomes....
    During warm up, my strokes turn out to be very neat and precise, but once the umpire calls " Luv all ", I end up screwing my own game for NO reason.

For example, last month I went to Bahrain to play a junior event, and in the Quarter finals, I ended up winning a match 21 - 16, which I should have won at 21 - 7. My coach records my performance ( errors / winners ) on a gridded sheet, and it turned out that my opponent got lots of free points from me.

About me :
    I have been training from Feb, 2009, and this coming tournament would be my 7th one.
    Best achievement would be Under 19 Boys Doubles Silver at Qatar Open 2010.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    There is a thing u can do which shud help you. Its called a directive affirmation.

"The mental management system, With Winning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham - Olympic & 2 time world champion (shooting)

Define a goal - I perform at my peak in competitions from the very 1st point to the very last.

Set a time limit - 10 days from now (usually would be 21 days to do the affirmation)

List the personal pay value of reaching the goal - I enjoy playing at my best and destroying my opponents every time I play.

Outline the plan to achieve the goal - I will practice a couples times between now and the tournament. I will run a mental program before my tournament of me playing my absolute best and every good shot I hit, il say "thats like me". I will read and visualize my directive affirmations daily.

Write the directive affirmation in 1st person tense, begin with I. State the goal as if u already are in possession of it. Next list the pay value, list ur plan to reach your goal, restate the goal, date the paragraph wit ur target date.

Yours cud be: -

29/7/10. I perform at my peak in competitions from the very 1st point to the very last. I enjoy playing at my best and destroying my opponents each and every time I play. I train often with my coach. I run a mental program before tournaments of me playing my absolute best and every good shot I hit, il say "thats like me!". I always read and visualize my directive affirmations daily. I perform at my peak in competitions from the very 1st point to the very last.

What happens next is to print this paragraph off and make 4 - 5 copies of it to put in places ul be often so everytime you go to that place, you read the paragraph and visualise playin in the competition and playing at ur peak, at your best and destroying every1. Ul need to do this maybe atleast 5 times a day if not 10 times a day (really as often as possible). It does take a bit of dedication and work but it will help you. Its getting ur mind to take on board this new thought and with visualization, your mind doesn't know the difference between reality and ur imagination. It believes its real so the more time ur visualize it, the more likely it will happen.

Hope this is helpful, good luck

#2 gingerphil79, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    At the very least, visualise yourself at the tournament playing ur best, being consistent, kicking butt and winning and lifting the trophy at the end. Do this atleast 2 - 3 times a day. Jus imagine getting ready for it, putting stuff in ur bag, putting clothes on, but always picture it as if ur are doing it through ur own eyes, always 1st person. Then you play, at your peak, you win all your matches and play amazing shots and lift the trophy at the end with every1 clapping and cheering for you

4. keith.roche

I just got back to my room , from the tournament...
    And I must say that your advice worked REALLY WELL !!!
    I was more relaxed on court today...
    Though I lost, the match could have gone either ways.
    As usual, I showed my inexperience on court, by loosing the first set 20 - 22, after having served the game point at 20 - 19.
    Couldn't convert my game point to a set.
    Second set I won 21 - 14, but lost the third 16 - 21, which was a really crappy set.
    My serves were going really high and long, but towards the third set I couldnt concentrate and my serves either ended up mid court, or near the sidelines, which made it easy for him for a down the line smash. ( oh yes, he has a very good smash )
    He has been training from 2003, while I first held a racket on 2009 February 1st at my first day on training. :D
    So I'm not pissed at my results. But I know I could have won it with more LASTING CONCENTRATION ( FOCUS ) THROUGHOUT THE MATCH, and by not failing to utilize a game point.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I need help as well, I have a tournament on Sunday, and I have just seen the draw, the guy I am playing is really good, but I think I could beat him. The problem is, at the moment, I am really struggling for form, and am struggling in games that I know I should win easily. Any help?

6. keith.roche

Have to add that being relaxed and not thinking about outcomes during or before the tournament, or the day itself helps too...

I came back from training at a state level camp in India and had a tournament at my club the week I came here ( Qatar ). Since it was a ONE DAY tournament, I had packed a lot of t shirts n such. I was least bothered about the outcomes or the fixtures. In fact I did not see it until I reached the club.
    These things help boost mental performance ;

* Not thinking much about the outcome of the event
    * Getting GOOD sleep ( without thinking about the event )
    * Believing in your style of play, and not listening to any hints or tactics from OTHER players ( excluding your coach of course ! who knows your game better than you do )
    * Proper warm up , by taking more than enough time.
    * Tie-ing your lace tight only before entering the court.. Helps to keep your feet relaxed before a match... Loosen it after the match... or change to slippers...
    * Tell the umpire you are not ready if you havent got your strokes warmed up..

All the best for your tournament.. Hope others would chime in with advices...

PS. I won the title at the club tournament...

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Been there... too often!

I dont know if this is relevant to you, but that's for you to judge....

It's called the killer mentality. You have to ask yourself, and answer truthfully:
    "Do I have the killer mentality?"

In other words, can you trust yourself to be ruthless right up to the time you walk off the court?

I cannot. That is why I lose from winning situations. But I am not in competitive play, and now I really dont mind if the other guy wins. (I run out of partners pretty quick, though! :crying:;):D:D)

It works like this: I KNOW I am better than the other guy; I am ahead; and then I relax. The problem is, my body will not switch on immediately again when I want it to, and before I know it, it's all too late! Then I get worked up; my racquet grip tightens; my legs don't move; my anticipation is missing; I do everything my coach told me not to do. The End.

The solution: Not to be Mr. Nice Guy in your head. And always being aware of the consequences.

Of course, being Mr. Nicer Guy after the match is cool! :cool::)