Striking the shuttle outside the court boundaries on service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by rtc35, Jul 19, 2010.

1. rtc35

rtc35 New Member

I'm almost certain I already know the answer to this, but I'm interested to see what others say. I know your feet have to be both on the ground, inside the service lines on hitting the shuttle, but what if you stand as far to the right side of the court as you legally can and reach as far to the right as you can, hitting the shuttle outside the court boundaries. Obviously, you still hit the shuttle diagonally to the opponent's receiving court, below the waist, with the racket downward, etc. There is no rule that says the shuttle has to be hit while inside the court, right?

And I know somebody is going to say, 'Why would you want to?' I know the risks involved, but I've got a pretty powerful way of striking the shuttle this way that cuts across the court fairly low and at a sharp angle, which I think would be awkward to hit. I'm curious to try it sometime, although it might be a bit too cut-throat (and sometimes a bit wild).

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be legal. Any thoughts?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sure. aside from reaching over the net into opponent's court, there are no rules about contacting the shuttle outside any boundaries, whether it is service or during a rally.

3. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Yes, this is legal. Something else you can do is stand very close to the centre, reach across the centre line, and hit the shuttle straight into the opponent's receiving area.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Do not get mixed up these 2 subject matters

It is legal.

Do not get mixed up these 2 subject matters;
    * Legally, where/how the server is standing, and
    * Legally, where/how the service is struck

Each of these 2 matters has its own rules/laws (covering what we can do).

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is actually quite simple. In badminton the shuttlecock cannot be either inside or outside the court boundary lines when not on the floor. Only when it has landed on the floor can one say it is outside or inside the boundary line.

This rule applies for all shots, service and others.

Many players may be aware that an overhead clear to the forehand of your opponent can be 6" outside the boundary line at the time the shuttle turn over, only to see it land 2" inside the boundary line as it lands on the floor. This is due to the ant-clockwise spin of the shuttle which will direct the shuttle's descend from outside to inside the side boundary line.