Multiple Problems... HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by neo1691, Jul 20, 2010.

1. neo1691

neo1691 Regular Member

Student
    This is my first post in BC.. Please be tolerable if i commit some mistakes while posting threads...
    I am 19 years of age(M).. Height 5.11.. Weight 63....
    I dnt know where to start but ill start wid a little bit of history....

I am playing badminton since the age of 11.. That time i used to play badminton on a competitive level...I had joined a local badminton club... Everyday we used to do slight warmup(running/joggin, body movements,flexibility exercises,skipping,shadow,wall practice etc) before workin on techniques) I went on to play inter school state level at the age of 14... :)

But after that i played more on and off badminton.. many reasons for that... I was more of a recreational player than a competitive one.. whenever i played badminton there was hardly any warmup.. we used to play back to back matches....

The man problem started two months back... I decided to play competitive badminton again after nearly 5 years.... so i started practicing for four hours everyday(including warmup and cooldown) but after a week or so.. i started experincing pain in my right lower leg(between knee and foot)... I couldnt move properly on the court...The pain was nt untolerable or unbearable... but it was enuf to keep playing in my mind...
    Also while nt playing badminton i could sense the pain... For eg while climbing the stairs....
    The pain used to go after a one day rest.. but wud return to haunt me again on the court..

Also one day while doing some bodyweight squats off court.. my right knee started paining.. i could feel slight twitch in my knee while walking or bending..

I visited a doctor(orthopaedist) twice.. once for my knees and den for my legs...But he said that the root cause of both my problem lies in my lower back... He says that there are some changes occouring in my lower back which are causing the problem..
    He adviced me to do some back extensions while at home.. and whenever i feel the pain is gone, start playing again.. but if i experience the pain again, he said to stop immediately...

Well there is one third problem that i am facing.. While playing badminton these days i get exhausted and goes out of breathe easily.. :crying: As a result my clears either land in the middle of the court and my drops see the net more often..

I arrived on the conclusion that i should stop playing badminton for the time being and concentrate only on fitness..
    so i hav started running everyday for 20 mins.. i run 3 mins then jog/walk for 3 mins.... 3 reps...
    But while doin the 3rd rep.. the pain returns in my lower legs..and i am forced to slow down my running...

So thats all i hav gt to tell... Can u guys out there please tell me exactly wid wat i am going through... Anything will be throughly welcomed...

Additional detais: I hav never had any major accident...
    When i was young.. our club never had any wooden court.. it was a cememnted court.....Now i am playin on a slightly harder synthetic rubber court...
    I get a feelin that i hav never excercised my lower body much in comparision to my upper body....

Waitin for ur replies...

2. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    hi

I will try to assist in your delema i am no doctor but do know a bit about massotherapy. I have had that problem sometime back in the days. from your description what i can come to conclude is; when you where young playing on cement court and that does a lot of damage to your joints. however you have rested and where playing on and off with out streching or warming up and that is really bad for your tendons and muscle. The lack of blood flow and air when paying and training is generally the cause of injury.
    I can perhaps recomment a few thing you can try to find out what the problem is.
    1- try a 1 leg front 1 leg back squat and hold on the down posotion for 10 sec, if the joints of the leg that you are squating witch is the front leg is hurting then is prob bone structure displacement. If it ack burns or twich or you leg shakes then its tendon and muscle tissue relate.
    2-at home war up a bit to get your blood flowing either by jumping runing etc... then stretch and see if you lose any flexibility my guess is yes since you don't really streach before game. and if this is the case you need to stop playing for a week or so and stretch 20 min of all muscle from top to buttom morning and night before sleep. That will help your tissue heal and increase flow.

and remember when you go play always stretch 5 min before playing and in between games to keep air and blood flow constant fo that your muscle can heal and bearth. This isa problem that most rec playing have .. they don't stretch properly in result they get lost of pain.

My appologies if i explanation is a bit confusing.

Gluck!

3. neo1691

neo1691 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks a lot biggybil for helping me.... I am sure wat u hav said abt my injury will definitely help me understand more abt my injury...

i think i shud hav elaborated more on wat i meant by sayin "hardly warmup" while playing recreational level badminton... Actually i meant to say that i never did the actually warmup and fitness conditioning that usually players at club level do.. that means runnning.. sprints...splits..shadows etc....

but whenevr i went to play matches on a recreational level.. i definatly did some hand movements/leg movements/lunges etc... but that was for hardly 5 to 10 mins...
    U can say that while postin i was relating my young club level participation to that middle aged recreational participation... following by the problems that i am facing in the transition to a competitive level player...

also i wud like to mention that wenever i do normal squats and hold the position for sometimes, my lowers starts painin..(holding the position means virtullyu the famous school punishment position where students are asked to be a cock..)

i played on cement courts but at the same time there were nearly 40 people there of various ages playing on the cement court.. i used to witness people who continued playing on the same court for years... yet they never had the prob that i am facing...!!!

I hav stopped playing badminton completly.. I am just focusing on my going out of breathe problem now...

There is a solution to all injuries on the earth... i believe in ppl like Lance Armstrong and Sachin Tendulkar.. Also Peter Rasmussen...
    I hope to fight out this injury....

4. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    Good spirit you have and that is exactly what you need to over come anything. As far as you injury goes take the time you need to recover before going intense. And bare in mind that we are not all made the same. some people i know play intense like crazy never stretch what so ever, and they are still fine however i was the same one about 15 years ago lol.. and now age has cought up with me lol.. anyways take the time and listen to your bosy it will tell you everything. Oh and also your diet make a very big impact on your recovery process. you can google it for more info.

good luck!!

5. neo1691

neo1691 Regular Member

Student

Thanks all lot.. those are just the words ppl like me need.. just hope to overcome soon... let it take tym..
    I am ready to go slowly but steadly...

I hope i wont forget my techniques though:p...

6. neo1691

neo1691 Regular Member

Student
    Hey BCers.... Waiting for ur replies.....!!!!

7. thejym

thejym Regular Member

The fact that you are feeling pain in your leg and becoming out of breath is your body telling you that it is not ready for the level of play that you are demanding from it. After such a long hiatus of competitive badminton, it will take some time for you to get back into it. Start slow and don't push yourself too much. It's better to be patient than to do something catastrophic that will prevent you from playing for a long time.

Instead, when you play, focus on other things like correct technique and strategy. Don't expect your fitness to be at the level that perhaps you once were initially, though it can eventually surpass it. A coach in China told me that skill is the most important thing to have - you can run all you want but in the end you can still lose. Of course, every advantage you have over your opponent is important so it is of course still important to work on fitness if you intend to play competitively, but I'm just suggesting that you take it slower in terms of conditioning.

Good luck!

8. neo1691

neo1691 Regular Member

Student

Thats exactly wat i am thinking.. i pushed myself too hard after that gap.. i think i shud take it much more slowly. i am planning to start all over again.... to go through those simply techniques that the newbees learn and then gradually working out my way to the next levels....

And ill keep doing fitness training side by side...
    slowly and slowly...

BTW my heartiest thanks to thejym for sharing his views on my injury....
    I am finding BC a gr8 place where i can share my problems which i could'nt share wid ppl around me...