Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Or work harder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange comments from BE chiif exec in BBC interview:

But Christy insisted he was not disappointed by Robertson - who cryptically tweeted "average treatment gets an average outcome" following his defeat - and Wallwork.

He said: "Nathan and Jenny came into the tournament as the number eight pair in the world, so they're not far off the top, are they?

"They didn't have a good week and they'll be disappointed, but Nathan is a world-class professional and Jenny has come on an awful lot.

"These guys can't peak at every event and we're not expecting them to. I'm not going to stand here and be in judgement of them. They are a world-class pair."

Christy blamed Rajiv Ouseph's draw for the promising singles player's similarly early exit.

Ouseph, who turns 25 at the end of the month, lost to number-three seed Peter Gade of Denmark.

"It's difficult to peak at a world-level event when you're drawn against one of the best in the world," said Christy.

"Look at the experience Peter Gade has had. He's 34, this is probably his last Worlds. Rajiv's probably got three Olympic Games and another 10 World Championships in him."
    Firstly he should be dissappointed with Robertson who lost in first round then criticised the English preparation, this is after the whole Robertson/Blair/Wood episode last year that cost BE a coach and a player.

Secondly, yes they came is as number 8, but lost in first match and are down to 11 now in rankings, so yes, they are some way off top. "They can't peak at every event", well no, but its the worlds so that's sort of the point...you peak for it...like Adcock/Bankier did. I don't know whether Robertson had a point or not but this poor attempt at pleasing everyone makes no sense.

Ouseph- yes he had a tough draw, he's never taken a game off Gade. But to try and say he has plenty of years now just turning 26 makes no sense, you could just as easy point to Gade being world number 1 at 21 or Axelesen already beating top players as a junior.

And finally his maths needs some work, even if the worlds continues to be held in all non-olympic years (which is debatable) to play another " probably got three Olympic Games and another 10 World Championships in him" makes him turning 39 by the last worlds by my maths!!!!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A brief article I wrote for my website about England rankings:
    Here’s a look at how England currently fair in the world rankings.

Mens Singles

33. Rajiv Ouseph 76. Carl Baxter 133. Ben Beckham

The top 2 have been much higher but have spent most of this year at Superseries events and Worlds, and some tough first round draws have seen them plummet in the rankings. More and more countries compete for the top 50, but Denmark have 4 players above our number 1 and in total 6 in the top 50. As always toughest discipline to make progress in.

Ladies Singles

39. Liz Cann 101. Nicola Cerfontyne 123. Sarah Walker

A good first round win for Liz at the worlds but she will need to be back to her best form to have any chance of catching Susan Egelstaff (SCOT) in the olympic race. A lack of depth in womens singles has been a problem for England for years at all levels.

Mens Doubles

20. Adcock/Ellis 33. Ellis/Mills 34. Langridge /Clark

New pair Langridge/Clark still only have 9 events so whatever they do in their next event should see them overtake Ellis/Mills. The experienced Clark will be hoping to overtake the other pairs and make the olympics. Traditionally strong event for England but new pairs need time to climb rankings.

Womens Doubles

24. Agathangelou/Olver 32. Wallwork/White 63. Langley/Smith

Langley/Smith took advantage of their wildcard to reach second round of worlds and rocket up the rankings. As yet these womens pairs don’t seem able to match the Asian pairs, Japan is the new powerhouse of WD with 4 top 15 pairs.

Mixed Doubles

11. Robs/Wallwork 16. Adcock/Bankier 26. Blair/White

Always England’s strongest event, could be a close battle for the top spot after Adcock/Bankier’s terrific World Silver. Blair/White don’t seem to be on great form and were unable to play the worlds due to nationality issues but are also a world class pair on their day.

Overview

The current world rankings must represent a recent lowspot for England. However, I don’t think England are as far behind as the rankings suggest. Many singles players have been chasing the big points in the Superseries and Grand Prix, when the slightly lower European events come round they should win more matches.

Countries such as India, Spain, Germany, Japan, Singapore and Eastern Europe are pushing for the top where they haven’t regularly been in the past, making the task even tougher for anyone wanting to make it as a world class player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouseph lost at the China Masters first round today, as I feared he would, to the excellant Kashyap. Kashyap is a good draw for first round at a SS! Next week Ouseph faces LCW first round, which with respect, barring injury is a 100/1 shotof winning. Ouspeh's ranking is going into freefall, from an overachieving high of 11 last year down to 33, and on results in the olympic qualifying period so far he probably would be outside top 50. Apart from the tough draws in SS he has lost to a couple of low ranked players at US and Thailand, I think some easier events are needed to rebuild his confidence and ranking. I think BE have run both him and Baxter down the rankings by playing too many SS and GP

Axelsen although ranked just above Ouseph played Kharkov Open and then plays Japan SS keeping a balance between winnable events and big points events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default England in world rankings?

England's strongest event and you list two Scottish players - well we'll conveniently forget that, eh. Current results in China would suggest that Engalnd on their own would struggle in world mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    A brief article I wrote for my website about England rankings:
    Hereís a look at how England currently fair in the world rankings.

Mens Singles

33. Rajiv Ouseph 76. Carl Baxter 133. Ben Beckham

The top 2 have been much higher but have spent most of this year at Superseries events and Worlds, and some tough first round draws have seen them plummet in the rankings. More and more countries compete for the top 50, but Denmark have 4 players above our number 1 and in total 6 in the top 50. As always toughest discipline to make progress in.

Ladies Singles

39. Liz Cann 101. Nicola Cerfontyne 123. Sarah Walker

A good first round win for Liz at the worlds but she will need to be back to her best form to have any chance of catching Susan Egelstaff (SCOT) in the olympic race. A lack of depth in womens singles has been a problem for England for years at all levels.

Mens Doubles

20. Adcock/Ellis 33. Ellis/Mills 34. Langridge /Clark

New pair Langridge/Clark still only have 9 events so whatever they do in their next event should see them overtake Ellis/Mills. The experienced Clark will be hoping to overtake the other pairs and make the olympics. Traditionally strong event for England but new pairs need time to climb rankings.

Womens Doubles

24. Agathangelou/Olver 32. Wallwork/White 63. Langley/Smith

Langley/Smith took advantage of their wildcard to reach second round of worlds and rocket up the rankings. As yet these womens pairs donít seem able to match the Asian pairs, Japan is the new powerhouse of WD with 4 top 15 pairs.

Mixed Doubles

11. Robs/Wallwork 16. Adcock/Bankier 26. Blair/White

Always Englandís strongest event, could be a close battle for the top spot after Adcock/Bankierís terrific World Silver. Blair/White donít seem to be on great form and were unable to play the worlds due to nationality issues but are also a world class pair on their day.

Overview

The current world rankings must represent a recent lowspot for England. However, I donít think England are as far behind as the rankings suggest. Many singles players have been chasing the big points in the Superseries and Grand Prix, when the slightly lower European events come round they should win more matches.

Countries such as India, Spain, Germany, Japan, Singapore and Eastern Europe are pushing for the top where they havenít regularly been in the past, making the task even tougher for anyone wanting to make it as a world class player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Blair and White ease past the pair that knocked our 'top' pair out in straight games. Adcock/Bankier defeat the 4th seeds, you almost expect it now. Olympic qualification for the mixed could get interesting these next few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support Scottish equally as I would English, most English people do , I don't see a distinction or rivalry. I followed Blair from when he "became" English and trained at Mk all those years, I think it's a pity he was forced back to Scotland, purely because his level is likely to suffer from not being at Mk. I also mentioned Susan who is Scottish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And when I say England strongest event I mean in recent history at world class level: ponting, archer, hunt, Clark, Robertson, Goode, Emma, kellogg , blair, etc, all world class playing for England
    Last edited by dlp; 09-15-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean Emms !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually although Robertson/Wallwork are "#1" ranked, we all know, that they could quite easily be as low as #4, but definitely #3 (behind CA/IB, RB/GW)

Just wait till December, NR/JW ranking will fall outside the 20. They are going to lose more than 10000 points. Whereas CA/IB and RB/GW shall be gaining in points in contrast.

Therefore, providing there are no injuries or team orders (yes they do exist within BE(and especially for Robertson)) then the OG spot for XD is a fight between CA/IB and RB/GW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the 3 mixed pairs are pretty equal, but yes on form NW/JW are probably at 3. I don't believe there would be team orders within England team, and even if were they wouldn't be followed. Where as China have an objective of getting as many players as possible into the majors so may ask the no.1 to withdraw against the no.4. This helps the no.1 as they would rather have more compatriots in the major and may even benefit from future orders. England have almost no chance of qualifying even 2, unless CA/IB were up at something like 2 and NR/JW were at 9 orders would make no sense.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GB badminton secure great Dane to mentor coaches

"GB Badmintonís desire to continually invest in a world class national coaching structure will gather extra momentum in the new year with news that highly respected international coach Steen Pedersen will be on hand to support and advise during this critical time for Team GB.

Pedersen, who has been a leading influential figure in the Danish National team coaching set up for 16 years, retired from his position of Head Coach in 2008 but his engagement with GB Badminton as a Ďcoach consultantí is widely considered a real coup for the sport ahead of next summerís games.
    The arrangement will see Steen make regular visits to the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes, between January and July 2012, assisting technical and personal development in one on one mentoring sessions with the national coaches.
    In addition, Pedersenís vast experience will also be passed down the coaching pathway as he hosts a series of workshops for a limited number of coaches in England badminton high performance network.
    Speaking of the coup to land Pedersen in this unique arrangement, GB Badminton Performance Director Jens Grill said ďIn Steen we have someone who believes in the values we are aiming to establish in the current environment and someone who himself has faced a number of the challenges we are facing at the moment.
    He will be able to question what we do, how we do it and engage in open discussions with coaches from an independent stand point
    Pedersenís knowledge in the game spans many major title and Championship wins as a coach and he remains involved with the sport, as coach to the reigning Danish Team Champions [Greve] whilst also providing support to local authorities, businesses and badminton players.
    Grill added ďWe believe it is extremely important to invest in our coaches if we wish to continue to deliver world class results in the future.Ē "

http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/show_news.asp?itemid=4403&itemTitle=GB+badminton+s ecure+great+Dane+to+mentor+coaches&section=13&sect ionTitle=News

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought this could be of interest:

"The GB players on who are still in the qualification race for London 2012 (with Jan 26 world rankings) are:

Menís singles:
    24 Rajiv Ouseph (Eng)

Womenís singles:
    33 Susan Egelstaff (Sco)
    51 Elizabeth Cann (Eng)

Menís doubles:
    25 Chris Adcock & Andrew Ellis (Eng)

Womenís doubles:
    26 Mariana Agathangelou & Heather Olver (Eng)

Mixed doubles:
    14 Chris Adcock (Eng) & Imogen Bankier (Sco)
    18 Nathan Robertson & Jenny Wallwork (Eng)

*For two pairs to qualify in doubles, both must be in the top eight in the 3 May world rankings"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o dear , we might not even get any players able to qualify for our own Olympic . Still we are doing much better than what we have done in tennis .............Sport England should have distributed more of the funding into badminton and not tennis ......

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink British badminton stars Imogen Bankier& Jenny Wallwork trade insults in Twitter spat

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post London 2012: Agathangelou avoiding qualifying pressure

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast