Who Is Lee Hock Lai ?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Jul 20, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hi guys

I keep seeing this guys name on tournament software, and I have watched a video of him playing Taufik Hidayat, he seems a very good player, can anyone share some information about this guy ? And how come he only appears to play in North America, despite playing under the Malaysian flag ?
    Any information regarding him is most welcomed.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Hock Lai came to the USA from Malaysia to study

Lee Hock Lai came to the USA (from Malaysia) to study. His Badminton started in Malaysia. He is participating in USA tournaments, especially if held in California.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

So does that mean that he is playing for Malaysia independently?

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm
    why dont u dont ask who is lim yee theng?
    the runner up in another tournament

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

ok, thanks for the information, actually I managed to find quite an old article, about how he, and a few others (I think Chong Wei Feng) were meant to be the future for BAM, but did Lee Hock Lai quit BAM ?

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Should be, since now he's studying & based in US. He mostly plays in tournaments in US.
    You can go to 2009 US Open thread, the BCers who went to watch took his photo.

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    He's a hero in the USA.

PPL call him 'Master Lee' and the young players adore and look up to him.

I remember watching a video (youtube?) of him againts Taufik in a match in (California?)... The crowd were really cheering him on every point he got. They didn't cheer much when Taufik got points (which was a lot more)

Lee Hock Lai as you've found out was part of the Backup Squad when it first started in 2005. He was originaly an independent player from the state of Penang in his schooling days and not a national sports school product. However too many ppl were let into the squad and eventually LHL left to pursue (studies?) and a life in USA where he is very welcomed there. I'm sure he's also giving badminton lesson there on behalf of a club where he must be now 'affiliated' or 'supported' by some way.

Can someone at location share more info on that aspect? I've not tracked his progress so much since he left malaysia.

He has a 'flair' to the way he plays badminton. Not exactly the most effective is suppose but deffinately a 'crowd pleasing style'.

Regards

#7 jug8man, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Hmm.. anyone knows how old is this guy? He should be quite young though..

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    he is only 23? from his facebook
    1987/3/20

10. Volant

Volant Regular Member

San Gabriel

If I remember correctly what he told me, he coaches in the morning at the San Gabriel Badminton Club in the LA area.

He is indeed a joy to watch. In a match I've seen recently, he made something like 4 dives in one single rally and to at least three different corners! Amazing!

11. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    He coaches at most badminton clubs in socal; SGVBC, LABC, and ABC. I've been coached by him for about a year for singles. I'm 33, and it was really difficult for me to train in singles since all I ever played since HS was doubles. He is really attentive, takes time to explain what I'm doing wrong, and works with me to better my game. He ALWAYS pushes me to my limits every training session....there are times where I couldn't even stand up for 15 minutes after the session. :)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

He first came to the U.S. in 2008 for the U.S. Open (can check out that sub-forum)...at that time there were rumors of him either going up to Canada or staying put here in California. He most likely came with a student visa..
    I asked him once and he told me he never joined BAM or was about to. Yes, he is from Penang (island side).
    He is not going to school now, as far as i know. Only coaches full time in different clubs and not part of the U.S. team. More like an independent/free-lance player.
    His age is around early 20s. He is still holding a M'sian status as i don't think he is a U.S. citizen.

He recently won this yr's U.S. Nationals in MS. You can check out that video at my youtube account. For U.S. standard in MS, he's at least 1.5 level above the rest.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

thanks for the information, from what I have seen, he is without a doubt one of the best players to watch, it's a shame he doesn't play more international events, he seems to be good enough, (went to three games with Ouseph of England I believe Ouseph is top 25)

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Lee Hock Lai told me there's a lot of competition back in M'sia, when he was there and @ his level. That's one of the reasons why he didn't decide to join BAM or get selected; perhaps because maybe he felt getting into BAM will be a struggle for him. Or maybe, if he were to stick around the M'sia badminton scene, he could've trained better. But alas, his goal was to go overseas for a different purpose. Perhaps he doesn't mind he doesn't get to spar with the top players or get to play more internationally as long as he is earning income. He probably thought getting as far away from BAM or their system is the best move...yes, that's what he told me when i asked him one time what is the biggest problem with M'sia badminton nowadays and he whispered to my ear: it's BAM (esp. for the lack of pay/salary for their junior/back-up players)..
    Now, as to why did he choose U.S. instead of say, ENG or Australia? that i have no clue...i can ask him the next time i meet him..

In his match vs. Rajiv, Hock Lai applied the right strategy in the 1st game, by playing more net. But Rajiv figured it out and changed tactic in the 2nd game. Hock Lai also sort of yielded the 2nd game to Rajiv but gave full effort in the 3rd game only to fall short.

#14 ctjcad, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    people who understand the situation
    will know
    those who dont will only keep demanding and bashing

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Lee Hock Lai will probably make a very good coach. I'm sure he already is one.

LHL understood NOT ONLY how hard it is to make it to top flight BAM (So that u get proper attention and exposure), but also the sacrifices needed to reach top flight World Badminton. Wether he is capable enough or not the Fact is he weighed in the odds of success and the average income a malaysian baddy start-up like him would make and he made a rational decision=

Don't live the Dream without being prepared for the consequences. Live in the reality and don't Whine like a sad dog / foolish monkey.

He took his skill along with his personal charm and social skills to America where he's now earning an ok living (for all i know) and experiencing life in a way none of his ex-squad mates have done... to date.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

The other player seemed like a junior age player? Or is it just me?

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Hock Lai is from Malaysia

Lee Hock Lai is from Malaysia. The other player looks like he is from Thailand.