Racquet recommendation for absolute beginner.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by darren78, Jul 21, 2010.

1. darren78

darren78 New Member

Hi all,

I played Badminton around 3 years ago for a few months, with (I think) a £6/$10 racquet!! As you can probably imagine, it wasn't that great.

I'm now interested in taking it up again and purchasing the correct equipment and wondered what type of racquet would be good for me? There seems to be an absolute dearth of information out there thats quite difficult to take in.

My budget is around £50/$80.

Thanks.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you're logged on you should see a "search thread" button. If you choose advanced and use "beginner" as keyword + select "search in titles only" you should get plenty of the previous threads to help you out as well ...

5. darren78

darren78 New Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

What do you guys think of the Karakal M TEC 80? I've heard a number of good reviews, however I don't know if I can trust them.

Thanks.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Should be fine. Not sure how stiff it really is but from the description it's slightly stiffer than the models I've mentioned earlier and below. Haven't really looked into them as I associate Karakal with lightweights. M-Tec 80 is supposed to weigh 80 grams which is on the (very) light side. If you're going that route better pick up the 85 (unless you want that Tattoo version :cool:).
    Other interesting models I saw on tennisnuts: Babolat Satelite Brio and either Babolat Satelite Synchro or Head Metallix 6000 Tour (of which the HEAD is probably better value for money).
    You can find better deals than the ones below if you look around (5% of RRP is extremely expensive for an online shop). Saw the 35 for less than 40 already.

#6 demolidor, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Looked up something I vaguely remember reading about different weighing methods and you should add about 5 gram to the listed weight for Karakal since they weigh their racquets before adding a stock grip unlike Yonex for example. For you I'd still say the 85 would be better suited and maybe pick up a lighter one later on (of those two) ...

8. darren78

darren78 New Member

Thanks. I have just purchased the Carlton Vapour listed above. After reading about each one, I think this would be best for me.

Thanks for the help.