User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow After the rally has ended, you can touch the net

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    But if you hit the net AFTER the bird touches the ground, it's not a fault right?
    Correct.

The rally ends when the bird touches the ground. After the rally has ended, you can touch the net.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if you hit the net AFTER the bird touches the ground, it's not a fault right?
    I don't think this is possible because it will take longer for the shuttlecock to fall to the floor than hitting the net following a shot. In theory this can only happen when the player deliberately hits the net with another stroke after the shuttle has fallen to the floor.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I don't think this is possible because it will take longer for the shuttlecock to fall to the floor than hitting the net following a shot. In theory this can only happen when the player deliberately hits the net with another stroke after the shuttle has fallen to the floor.
    It can happen with a quick sharp tap downwards when the bird is taken a few inches above the net. The bird can travel fast enough down to the ground before the follow thru of the racket hits the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A similar thing that can happen is when the opponent's attempted drop shot fails to make it over the net. As soon as the shuttle hits the net it is out of play, so if your racket touches the net afterwards then it isn't a fault.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    A similar thing that can happen is when the opponent's attempted drop shot fails to make it over the net. As soon as the shuttle hits the net it is out of play, so if your racket touches the net afterwards then it isn't a fault.
    That is a very good point! Had I been more aware of the laws, I wouldn't have lost a point when this happened to me a few weeks ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is technically not correct. When the shuttle hits the net it becomes out of play and a fault is called. What happens subsequently, whether the opponent hits or misses hitting the net is irrelevant because all shots after that "out-of-play" point is null and void.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can happen with a quick sharp tap downwards when the bird is taken a few inches above the net. The bird can travel fast enough down to the ground before the follow thru of the racket hits the net.
    I don't think this is possible because the shuttle is a high drag projectile and the shuttle travel is much longer than the racket-to-net distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    This is technically not correct. When the shuttle hits the net it becomes out of play and a fault is called. What happens subsequently, whether the opponent hits or misses hitting the net is irrelevant because all shots after that "out-of-play" point is null and void.
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Player A hits the shuttle into the net. Then afterwards, player B's racket touches the net. Player A already faulted, so they lose the point. Player B's action doesn't count as a fault because the point is already over. Right?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But lets say:
    Player A hits a drop shot, the shuttle hits the top of the net and lingers tantalizingly..........
    At this time, player B goes to return the drop, and his racquet brushes the net for a moment.....
    Then, the shuttle drops over to player B's side.

Has player B committed a fault?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be precise:

The shuttle is out of play when it hits the net and starts to fall. That's almost the same as what you said, but not quite.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Many of us do not know when a rally has finished/stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    To be precise:

The shuttle is out of play when it hits the net and starts to fall. That's almost the same as what you said, but not quite.
    I gather that we all know that touching the net is illegal when a rally is continuing. But many of us do not know when a rally has finished/stopped.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    I gather that we all know that touching the net is illegal when a rally is continuing. But many of us do not know when a rally has finished/stopped.
    Heh, next time I play, I'll purposely "accidentally" touch the net after I see the bird fall back on my opponent striker's side after a failed net or drop shot. That would be interesting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow When the shuttlecock hits the floor, the rally is considered to have ended

Heh, next time I play, I'll purposely "accidentally" touch the net after I see the bird fall back on my opponent striker's side after a failed net or drop shot. That would be interesting.
    But do make sure that the shuttlecock has landed on the floor first.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    But do make sure that the shuttlecock has landed on the floor first.
    Ah, that's the tricky part!

It is considered out of play as soon as it starts to fall down on their side of the net.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ah, that's the tricky part!

It is considered out of play as soon as it starts to fall down on their side of the net.
    Oh! Smmmmoooooth!!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, like said by visor. It is a fault if you're almost 100% certain that the bird cannot cross the net, the bird does not have to touch the ground at that point and you can smack the net and not be called for a fault.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    Yes, like said by visor. It is a fault if you're almost 100% certain that the bird cannot cross the net, the bird does not have to touch the ground at that point and you can smack the net and not be called for a fault.
    That's not quite correct.

Suppose the shuttle is obviously going out, but has not yet touched the net or the ground. It is still in play, so your hitting the net would be a fault.

If the shuttle has already hit the net and started to fall on the striker's side, then it is not in play. You have already won the rally and cannot be faulted.

To make things even more confusing, here's another exception: you cannot be faulted if the shuttle has touched an opponent's racket without travelling back towards your court (e.g. the opponent hits it backwards, away from the net).

See my page on obscure badminton rules for explanations of these arcana.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast