Two- or Three-A-Day Training Routine Advice?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by supralover23, Jul 22, 2010.

1. supralover23

supralover23 Regular Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to improve my physical conditioning and muscle strength in preparation for upcoming tournaments. Basically I want to get myself into tiptop shape within the next 1-3 months.

To that end, I want to start a 6-day-per-week training routine that involves weights/exercise before breakfast for an hour or so (6-7am), then on-court drilling for ~2 hours (1-3pm), then more drills/sparring for another ~2 hours (5-7pm), followed by another hour of weights/exercise before bed (10-11pm). Appropriate warmup/stretching is done before and after each session.

I need advice on what sort of things to do for the two weights/exercise sessions. In particular, I'm wondering if it's better to do low-intensity weights, squats, and lunges before breakfast, and then do the biking/running/sprinting in the evening?

Any other suggestions/comments regarding the overall schedule would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    This seems a very intense training programme. I would not reccommend having 2 gym sessions a day, unless like you state one is cardio and one is weights.
    With gym sessions it is very important to rest the area that you focused on in the gym during that day. If you were to do a lot of leg weights in the gym then a lot of shadowing you increase the risk of a tear injury. Those that go to the gym regularly only normally go 4 times a week.

As for intensity - 80% of 1 rep max * 6~8 reps * 3 sets is for muscle building.
    50~60% of 1 rep max * 10~15 reps * 3 sets is for muscle toning
    You will need to decide where you would like to increase muscle and where you would just like to specifically lower fat and increase muscle power a little bit.

You may want to reduce the amount of sessions you do a day, to start your programme. If you jump into this too quickly you will cause some damage to your body.

I hope this helps give you some ideas about modifying your programme.