Hand , forearm pronation and wrist roles in effective overhead drop shots.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sonic Smash, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Sonic Smash

Sonic Smash Regular Member

BA Mathematics Student
    Hey guys,

I just finished a session of drills with a friend, and one shot we went over was the overhead drop shop.
    I am adament to improve them - i can play them, but at a competitive level they are not very good, they are obvious, airy , slow, i have no solid technique, including hitting them on the back food etc.

My friend, his method is approaching the shot as he would a smash, but slices the through the shuttle giving a sharp fast drop. This works well, but is exactly the opposite method to what ive read, where by you are supposed to hit the shuttle with the racket head flat and parallel to the net, just softer and slightly in front?

What i'm looking for is someone to give me a 101 on the exact motion of the feet, my arm in its entirety for the duration of the drop shop. I have started to use forearm pronation in my smashes, so for the element of disguise il have this same backswing for my drops, so when im about to hit the shuttle just as i would for a clear or smash, what changes? do i slice across, through beside the shuttle? brush the shuttle?

I understand the technique differs slightly for fast or drop shops, that's something i will be able to judge once i have a fundamental technique established.

thanks for taking the time to respond, i hope i've been clear, i have had no luck finding the videos/ tutorials or pictures to help me thus far.

Sid

2. Sonic Smash

Sonic Smash Regular Member

BA Mathematics Student
    LOL sorry it should be drop shot's, i dont know what's wrong with me, must be tired

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i fixed it for you.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I think the slice technique is more effective but harder to learn. So if you have time to do some practice drills and learn this properly, you should try and slice. But for many club players, because we just play games and never do practice drills, we use the second technique that you describe :)