Dont go for easy points ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GoDLee, Jul 26, 2010.

1. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    Jonassen towards Ouseph/Leverdez
    "He played a good mix of skill and physical play and made Brice look for winners. That produced easy mistakes as a result of the pressure Raj put him under"

Now i've read that, i think i know what is my main issue. Ppl tell me i play too much@ the net, that prolly results in a strive for easy points without exhausting myself. It doesn't work that much though, but how the hell can you make the points longer if it is a pain in the butt to do clear shots ?

Same problem anyone ?

2. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

??? catch no balls

3. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Why make the point longer?

if your net is good then why do u want to make the rallys longer? just use your strong point and win easy points thats the best. And why do u want to make the points longer?

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Sorry I can not connect between playing a lot at net and getting easy point?

5. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    Obvious answer ---> because that might improve my stamina. A lot of experienced players after defeating said i was too predictable bcuz once they understood my game, they control me. They say i have a strong net play & they'd be unable to beat me if i was able to construct a rally thx to my speed(i'm short & young thus explosive).

The trainer also said i was quite a lazy guy bcuz i wanted to win points too fast without fighting too much, thus making errors. He told me this with a smile:rolleyes:," i understand your will to become the best here, i was like you, but first understand what practicing a sport really is. It is about pushing yourself to the limits, things wont come easy in your palm, pal "

When i play my usual game, i tend to run back & forth, which is very exhausting. I recover very fast between games or breaks, still, my batteries get low quite fast bcuz of running. A veteran also told me my will to improve was biased.
    I was quite upset & disappointed with myself but he explained : " whatever the ammount of hours you spend playing simples against stronger players, what matter is, are you really listening to advices ? for how long will you blame your endurance or your racquet ? look at me ! i'm 50 my bones are ruined !:p"

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So are you saying, Net play = Lazy/easy point ? Whereas Rally = Hard work/not so easy point?

And your problem is that you are getting better result at rally but its exhausting and you have a low battery?

7. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    Well, nth important. I think i'm gonna be able to build a rally without wasting too much energy thanks to a better technique. I guess that's the same for a lot of us here. It is slightly improving, i'm just the type of person who wants it all too soon.

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Most good badminton players should aim to end the point efficiently (ie, at the first chance) unless they are trying to tire their opponent out and benefit from their superior fitness or having spent less time on court in previous rounds. Even players who seem quite defensive in nature should, and generally will, aim to get the shuttle to the ground at the first opening they are given. Ending points quickly is in no way a bad thing. Unintelligently bashing the shuttle in a feeble attempt to win every point within two shots is probably even more of a stupid strategy than not making an attempt at winning the point when the opportunity presents itself.

Basically, most people should strive to find some sort of middle ground between winning points quickly and not making too many errors. For example, if I'm playing singles and my opponent hits a high serve than isn't especially deep, I will often try to smash it. This is a relatively high percentage shot because the angle is quite favourable for me. Conversely, I will generally avoid hitting a smash off a high serve that's dropping right on the back line. It's a low percentage shot and even if I do get it over and in to the court, the shot will have travelled a long way so it won't be particularly fast or steep meaning that I probably won't win the point off it.

I think what you need is to reconsider how you construct points. You don't want to make points last longer necessarily but instead want to be more consistent whilst still grasping every opportunity to attack. In singles, clears are an incredibly important shot regardless of how boring they are. The lower down the ability scale you go, the more important they become. Badminton singles is almost the exact opposite of tennis singles in that instead of moving your opponent laterally, most of the movement pressure you put on them is likely to be front to back (or back to front) movement. Therefore, clears and drop shots should probably become the basis of your singles game. Clears and drives will probably be the best way to extract shots towards the forecourt from your opponent, thus allowing you to attack the net and be where you are most comfortable. Might I suggest that you watch some pro matches on YouTube or wherever, women's singles is probably best because it's a closer level to most of us than men's singles and look at the way they construct points with great patience instead of getting bored and lashing at the shuttle in an attempt to win the point.

Hope I've helped.

9. GoDLee

GoDLee Regular Member

English teacher
    Yeah you right. I watch replays in a regular basis although i should watch women singles for the most. As you said, i realized their game is more similar to our level. Men singles make it look too easy :rolleyes:
    i'd like to write English messages with such skills, well you're from UK :eek: