Grip Choices/Recomendations

Discussion in 'Grip' started by LD rules!, Jul 26, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I was looking at grips, I have been using AC102EX SuperGrap and AC402 Towel Grip pretty much since I started badminton, after a brief (and rather successful) stint with Karakal Ripple Grip, I found that although I liked it, it is too thick.

I have been looking at potential grips, for me to try out, I was wondering if you could recommend if any of the following is good. (I would like to buy in bulk to save money)

Synthetic Grips

Hi Qua HQ Over Grip: I saw these on MyBadmintonStore, and for a pack of 60 grips, it is only us$55 (less than a $ a grip :eek:) and they come in Neon Green, which look really nice. But are these grips any good ?

Hi Qua GWV SuperGrap: Again saw these on MBS, they looked not bad and for a pack of 60 they were us$70, so a bit more than the over grip, but are they any good ?

RKEP grips: I know there is many but I don't know how much they are and where I can buy them. (not eBay) but another Internet store.

Towel Grip

Monsoon Towel Grip
    Fleet Towel Grip
    Hi Qua Towel Grip
    Victor Towel Grip

All of these come in rolls, good enough for 20 rackets, but which one is the best in terms of comfort and durability. They are all about the same price.

Anyone know of any other makers of towel grip in large rolls ? Thanks.

Your help to narrow down my choices is appreciated.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I forgot to add that price isn't really an issue, as long as the grip is good quality and durability

3. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    It's not in your list, but did you try Babolat VS Grip ?
    It's a thin over grip, very touchy...

4. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

Well, I use towel grip and buy them in bulk/roll. I have used Babolat, Carlton, Yonex (no rolls) and RSL. The Babolat and Carlton are pretty thick and have no color choices in bulk. Just white for Babolat and grey for Carlton. Recently I bought the RSL towel grip in bulk, and am very satisfied. Pretty thin and nice. I have no idea of its durability as it's been only a week but I may have found my brand :)

5. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

Hi Qua= pure waist of money.
    bought some and the are really sucks...
    go on victor grips thy are superb.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So the Hi Qua grips are rubbish ? Have you tried any of the Hi Qua towel grips ? Or have you tried any of the Victor Towel grips ? Cheers

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

can't really use overgrips, especially if they are quite thin, as nowadays I take the original grip off straightaway, and put a grip on it. So it has to be reasonably thick, other wise you end up with Tennis elbow (strangely)

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Where can I get the RSL towel grip online ?

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    My setup is currently a Babolat towel grip wrapped over the top of a Gamma Supreme overgrip (which is over the bare handle). It's quite thick but it needs to be - the grip on my Ultra 1 is pretty small. It's still quite a hard feeling grip setup, if you know what I mean, there's still good feel and it doesn't seem mushy at all. Best of all, it's reasonably priced as well. I bought a roll of the Babolat towel grip for £19.99 (free postage :D) and a 15 pack of Gamma Supreme for £12.17 (£2 postage but I bought some other things as well) from http://www.tennisstringer.co.uk/. Both of these grips on their own work out at less than £1 each, even with postage included. Let's discount the postage because I bought other stuff with that order and most websites will charge you postage nowadays. 12.17/15= 0.811 (rounded) so my current setup costs me basically the same as using just a single PU Super Grip per racket(£3.60 is the best price I've seen for the twin blister pack).

I love the Gamma Supreme overgrip on my tennis rackets - where I actually use it as an overgrip and I would whole-heartedly recommend it if you're looking for something thin and tacky. It has to be said though, despite being tackier than a souvenir shop in a touristy place, it is probably too thin to be used as your only grip. You could try wrapping one on the handle and then one on top of that. It would still be very thin but you might like it. Alternatively you could wrap it over a thin base grip, I don't know how thick or thin the Yonex one is but you could possibly find something thinner. You'd only have to replace the base grip about once a year - it remains intact when you replace the Gamma Supreme.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Where did you get the Babolat Towel grip from, and how does it perform ? Any other colours than white

11. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

all HQ grips from MBS are rubbish...brought everyone of them...
    victor towel grips are good but the rep' grips and the overgrips are great

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

ok thanks for the info, looks like it's between Victor Towel grip RSL and Babolat towel grips

13. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I got a roll of 20 from a seller on eBay a while ago - I've just checked and I can't see any on there at the moment. If you wanted to buy some you'd probably have to look around on the internet or in local stores a bit, that is unless someone else knows where to get them. It comes in white and black, I'm not sure about any other colours.

As for performance, it's excellent. If it wasn't, I wouldn't continue to use it. It gives a great combination of feel and comfort as well as being quite absorbent. Durability isn't that great though, in the summer weather when the halls are hot I seem to get about 12-14 hours out of my current setup before I need to replace it. Certainly no more than 20 hours at this time of year and maybe not even in winter. I played at the first day of my two day summer camp today I played from 9:30 to 3:30 participating in various drills and matches so in the space of six hours, not even a completely solid six hours of play. In this period of time the grip deteriorated dramatically to the point where it was barely usable. Longevity definitely isn't the reason I use this setup - it's the performance that matters to me. I've just regripped the Ultra and I'm playing 9:30-3:30 again tomorrow, with a fair bit of it being singles so I'll give you some feedback. The competitive singles I describe is actually a handicapped tournament for the club's player and I found out today that I am to be blessed with a handicap of -10 :rolleyes::crying: so I'll probably sweat a lot, these will be good conditions to test grips :p.

If you're looking for something durable like Karakal's PU Super Grip, then this is not it. It simply cannot keep on going like some of the better PU grips can but then I don't believe that any towel grip is capable of that. The only other towel grip I have tried was Artengo (Decathlon own brand) in black and it was absolutely dire with few to no redeeming features (maybe the price?) so I'm afraid I can't really do a comparison with anything similar.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Durability isn't really an issue, especially if I am buying a roll of towel grip. So it's really all about performance.

15. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

I got mine from a French online store, but I doubt they deliver outside the EU…

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

thats ok, I only live accross the channel :) about 700miles from Paris :) (1100km)

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    So what do you gonna do now ?
    Do they include some enormous postage taxes ?

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

well I hope not, I am hoping to order, one 12m roll of yellow RSL Towel grip (€18) and one 12m roll of white Head towel grip. (€15) I am hoping that it won't cost much in Postage.
    Seeing as I am ordering from within the EU, I don't think I have to pay any import taxes, but I am not sure about this. Do you have any idea about this Thom_bad ?

19. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Actually I don't ^^

I've never bought on that website, even if I heard it's quite famous and said to be serious..
    The thing I fear is for the price of international postage :s

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I wouldnt really call it international, France and the UK are right next door to each other, i would be hoping to pay under 40 inc. postage. Although i can get Towel grip rolls for about £17