Spec Me A New Racket!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by rscosworth, Jul 27, 2010.

1. rscosworth

rscosworth Regular Member

Guys,

Looking to see if you have any opinion on the best racket for my needs.

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    4. How much money do you want to spend?

1. I play twice a week, sometimes three, usually 2hr sessions, usually doubles but I am attending a Yonex badminton course in August in Scotland and hope to come out of it a much better player. I am very serious and very competative, I would like to start playing some local comps

2. Playing doubles you have to switch around, I will nearly always smash from the back of the court rather than play a soft drop shot.

3. The racket needs to be durable, I cannot afford to buy a new racket every 3 months

4. I have about 60-100UK pounds

Currently I play with a Yonex Armortec 70MG.

Perhaps I should wait until after the course and see if the Yonex guys can give me any reccomendations, although, they will off course reccomend a Yonex Racket.

Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Thanks

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think you can get a quality racket well within your budget. It doesn't neccessarily needs to be Yonex, but your parameters are a bit loose - do you like head heavy rackets, stiff shaft 2u/3u?

3. rscosworth

Hey James, I have only been playing for just over a year, but I think I am at a good standard so far.

I have only played with a very old Wilson V12 which i felt was far too light, an Armortec 150 which got damaged in a doubles scuffle and my current Armortec 70MG. Head heavy I think is better for me, but really open to suggestions.

Thanks

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

availability of rackets is a problem, are you willing to buy online ? as far as I am aware the only rackets available in your local shop, is Yonex :( or low end Carlton, Victor and I think Karakal. You could maybe try an Armortec 700, or you could try an Armortec 900 Technique or Power, of course if you are able to or want to order from reptuble online retailers, there is a lot more choice.

Btw competitions here are tough :( so good luck :)

#4 LD rules!, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. rscosworth

I have no issues buying online, the Armotec 700 is around £103 I think, although a forum member on here has one for sale at a reduced price, I was just not sure if it was any good.

What about other brands?

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Armortec 700 is £93.99, last time I checked. If you are interested in looking into other brands, then you can try Victor, Apacs, Carlton, Ashaway, etc etc, there is tons of information on BadmintonCentral about these brands and the rackets that they make. Usually I point people in the direction of the Victor SuperWaves 35, which is probaly one of the most powerful rackets out there, (definetly the most powerful that I have used) but it's not recommended, unless you have mastered quite alot of the basics, otherwise it can be hard to use.