Badminton tryouts are approaching soon, I need a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by KYW917, Jul 27, 2010.

1. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

I've been using a 10 dollar racket for the past two years, and I really think it's time for an upgrade. I really want a starting position this year, so I'm trying to improve in every way possible

Looking at the stickied threads, I already got a pretty good idea. But I would like to let you experts recommend me a good racket :)

If you want a racquet:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    4. How much money do you want to spend?

1. I've been on the school team for 2 years now. Never been a starter, but I really hope to be. Not sure if I will be playing singles or doubles though.

2. I don't have much strength, so my smashes rarely have that satisfying "WHOP" sound whenever I clear or smash it. I prefer to try and hit my shots to good locations instead of hitting hard shots that go by my opponent. I've developed a decent drop shot. Sometimes, I even try hitting those long drop shots from the back of the court. (Usually works) However, I can still clear and smash if I get the chance. I'm hoping to try and get more strength, so any suggestions on what workouts to do would be nice too.

3. A happy medium between the two?

4. I don't have that much to spend right now, so anything around 50? Give or take 20 bucks.

Hope that didn't take too much effort to read, and thanks for helping

2. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Realized I didn't fully answer 1.

1. Team practice is every day for about 2 hours. But I'm practicing about twice a week during the summer.

3. justsomekid

justsomekid Regular Member

school
    maybe try the apacs rackets? they do the job reasonably well and has decent price tags. look around on the fourm for reviews

4. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

I've just spent some time looking around

Would the Yonex Nanospeed 100 be good for me? I don't think I can choose strings or anything because it's from Amazon.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

nope you should probaly go for an Apacs racket, you can try the Edgesaber 10 which I around $40 or so, and you get to choose sting and tension.
    Try badmintonbay.com or racket_sports on eBay, both are recommended by forumers

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    +1 for Apacs, you'll end up getting something that's leagues ahead of a low end Yonex. Whilst I love Yonex as a brand, I think the only time when their rackets are up there with the best choices is right at the very top end of the market. I have to say though, the Edgesaber series doesn't seem to get the kindest reviews around here. You're probably better off trying to get one of Apacs' own rackets, one that isn't a clone of a Yonex frame. That said, the Apacs Nano 900 rackets (white or red, the only difference is the paintjob if I recall correctly) are within your price range and seem to get better reviews than the Edgesaber series.

As LD rules! mentioned, eBay seems to be the place to look for the best prices on the Apacs rackets.

7. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Oh wow, thanks.
    I've been using like a Yonex Carbonex 7000 DF that I got a few years ago at costco. :p

As for the Apacs 900, I managed to find on one Badmintonbay.

Regarding the strings, what tension should I choose? And what is this about 0.66 mm and 0.67mm?
    Also, will the racket come pre-stringed? Because I don't want to string it myself, as there is a high chance I'll manage to screw it up. :crying:

Here's the link
    http://www.badmintonbay.com/product_info.php?products_id=185

8. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

+1 Apacs.
    you cant go wrong here.

9. Danstevens

Student
    To be honest, I wasn't thinking of that one when I posted. This one and this one were the two I was referring to.

0.66mm and 0.67mm refer to the diameter of the string that Badmintonbay will install for you seemingly at no extra charge. Thinner strings generally offer better feel, bite and repulsion (power) whereas thicker strings are more durable. Given the fact that you are asked to choose a string tension, I am almost certain that Badmintonbay will string the racket for you. I recommend that you go for somewhere in the region of 20 to 24lbs, any tighter and you might find it difficult to generate power.

10. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Thank's so much. You've been a great help. :)

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I would re-iterate that bit about tension. I would suggest 21-22lb. Don't make the mistake of "going big" and getting 25 useless pounds that may be very precise, but weakens your smash or prevents you from being able to perform a backhand clear. All the best on making your school team!

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

you can't go wrong for $40 with a Apacs Nano 900 power, at around 23lbs

13. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Well, my mom says she won't allow me to buy the one for 40 dollars because its "too expensive" and she says I supposedly can get a "much" better one for a low price if I wait until we go back to taiwan. She just wants me to go to a random store and pick out a random racket. :confused:

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

well I am afraid you cannot get a better racket for $40 than an Apacs Nano 900 Power, I can assure you, unless someone is giving you a free racket, it is highly unlikely that you will find a better racket for $40

15. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Yeaaah, I know that, but my mom is just like that. Probably because of the 10 dollar shipping, she just gets so stingy

16. Danstevens

Student
    I'm in agreement, the Nano 900 Power is basically the pinnacle of value rackets; any cheaper and you're getting a poor quality product, any more expensive and you're not getting the absolute best value frame you can buy. Perhaps post a wanted ad in the Buy and Sell forums - you might be able to get a pre-owned Nano 900 Power or similar from another member here. Other than that, I really cannot imagine you being able to find a better racket for less money.

17. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Psh, I managed to convince her by saying that shipping to Taiwan is 6 dollars cheaper.
    Too bad I won't be able to try it before tryouts though. Do rackets take any time to "break in"?

18. justsomekid

justsomekid Regular Member

school
    mostly just takes some time to get used to for the timing and stuff, shouldn't take more then a few hours