I just "lost" my power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KYW917, Jul 29, 2010.

1. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Yesterday, I was just playing casually with my friends, and I was trying hard to hit my clears deeper and my smashes harder with mostly just my wrist.

But it seemed like they were just getting weaker.
    A week ago, I was smacking the shuttles pretty hard requiring almost little effort

However, no matter how hard I tried yesterday, I just wasn't getting the same results

Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, whats a good exercise to build up more power in my clears and smashes?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you were tired or it was just an "off day"? You can't play at 100% of your ability 100% of the time you play - a big part of being a successful badminton player is being able to bring a good portion of your maximum standard most of the times that you play.

The fact that you were trying to hit harder could also have had the opposite effect. When people try to hit the shuttle hard they often tense up and lash at the shuttle, this results in a jerky, poorly-timed shot with a reduced amount of power. If you're looking for power relax your body. If you're loose and flexible you'll find it much easier to crush smashes and clear the length of the court. Do you use the Finger power technique? If not, try it out - going from a loose grip to a tight grip helps you to gain that little bit of extra power to make your overhead shots and drives more potent.

Take a look at Paul Stuart's armchair badminton exercises on this website for something to do to help your badminton whilst off the court.

3. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Hmm, the finger power technique is very interesting. I looked the pics. Do I just swing like do regularly, but just without my index and middle finger on the racket? That looks like the racket will just fly out of my hand. I'll give it a try though.

Thanks for the excercises link

4. KYW917

KYW917 Regular Member

Hahahaha, uhhh okay.

I was trying that finger power grip...inside my room. Not a good idea. I just whacked my ceiling and now there's like a gash there.
    I'm reading the thread because it seems like a good technique for me, as I don't have much power. Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to do it?

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    We've all been there. I bet a lot of members here have tried to swing a new racket or try out a new technique indoors and taken a chunk out of the racket or something in their house. It's best to kneel down before you take swings in places with normal ceilings.

The way I understand finger power is that it comes not from the loose grip but from going from a loose grip to a tight grip. Imagine that the strength you are using the grip the racket can be measured on a simple scale from 0 to 10. Let's say 0 is no strength at all - the racket would just fall out of your hand. 10 is really quite hard - if you hold a racket like this for a few seconds your knuckles will go white. Try these two out at home to get a feel for it if you want to. For finger power, I start with a grip that's about a 3 on the scale and then before making contact with the shuttle with a 10. That's probably the best I can do to describe it, you might find it difficult to time shots at first but after you get the hang of it you should find some more power. It also offers extra possibilities for deception as it's easier to vary the amount of power you hit with whilst maintaining similar swing speeds.

6. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Were you using different shuttles or did the strings suddenly feel dull? Or were you feeling tired?

Most people have a favourite shuttle and optimal string tension which really affects this and your confidence.

Clearing is a good indication of how much power you're going to put in your shots later. If you are having trouble clearing properly, you're gonna struggle with attacking shots.

Saying this, even if you have plenty of energy but your footwork is a tad slow you're gonna tire faster.

7. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

this is nothing special, it's now your suppose to hold your racket, i.e holding your racket so that the racket is held with your last 2 fingers. when you hold your racket, you should be able to stick your finger in at the 'v' point between your thumb and first finger, so your palm does not touch the racket at all.

the lower end of the racket should sit between where your pinky ends and the palm starts, your thumb and first finger should be used to control the angle, so it should be relaxed, and only tighten the split second before and during the time your racket makes contact with the shuttle